Falling Asleep Tremors

Posted , 108 users are following.

Hi guys! 

So for quite a while now, I've been experiencing what I think are tremors falling asleep.  I have posted about them before but they're causing me some bad anxiety again tonight. Usually what happens is I'm drowsy and as I'm dosing, my body starts shaking. And whenever I wake up my body is shaking/vibrating for a few minutes. 

The part that is bothering me is that I just came back from a three week vacation. While on vacation, I didn't experience these tremors at all, which was weird to me because I was experiencing them almost every night before. Now that I'm back home, my tremors are back as well. 

My endo told me last month that she thinks it might be good related, and asked me to keep a log of what I'm eating for dinner and to try and pinpoint triggers. Something I noticed is that I eat a lot more carb heavy foods at home. I read online about someone with a gluten allergy experiencing this and it's been making me wonder if it could be causing the tremors. My dinners on vacation generally had very little to no gluten and I was fine. I love my bread and pasta though and had those the last two nights being back, and also tremors with them. 

I also wondered if it could be environmental. Although, I'm not sure how it could be. Maybe I'm overthinking things.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the long post. I was just really anxious and wanting to talk to someone about it. I also want to hear if anyone has similar experiences or problems with sleeping. 

5 likes, 122 replies

122 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Im having these exact same symptoms. Its progressed as my anxiety about what is going on gets worseIs everyone still ok ? My bloodwork and MRI were normal but still having these darn tremors that wake me up at night. Is it just anxiety?

• Posted

My doctor told me too that it is anxiety, but I have been anxious before, ( when I was diagnosed with high grade cancer), but I didn't feel these tremors then. I have been anxious many many times in my life, but never ever had these weird night time 'dropping off to sleep vibrations'----ever .....Bizarre..Let me know how you get on. I am 71 years old. I am well apart from these vibrations...

• Edited

Yes i had these tremors for two months and they do go away if you stop worrying about them. It does not happen immediately and is a very gradual process in my experience. You have to believe they are nothing and they do disappear eventually I promise. Mine happened after I just turned 40 in December. I didnt even think I was anxious. Just overworked/stressed/have little kids and my anxiety that this was something that was going to kill me was through the roof as it worsened I am fit, healthy, etc. I am also a veterinarian that wants to know how or why this was happening It just boggled my mind that anxiety alone could cause it esp since it was happening mostly at night. They tried to give me anti-anxiety drugs to get over them but i refuse to take themI did have to take xanax during the worst times to get sleep bc sleep deprivation made them worse. I now take melatonin to help me and its worked! Also no doctors or neurologists (i saw three) knew what they were so this page was very helpful for me to give me hope. I want to help others with them bc whenever you search things only the worst things pop up.

• Posted

Thank you so much for leaving this reply. Im having the exact same issues everyone else here is having. Im a healthy 40 yr old male, Ive had bloodwork done and ekg, and xray etc. Nothing wrong. Only can be anxiety. Its amazing what anxiety can do. Hopefully it will pass soon. Its been several weeks. At first i thought i was going to have a seizure. It was that scary waking up to it, and having it happen as soon as i would fall asleep. I take gabapentin now for sleep, but im going to get off it soon i think and try melatonin or wine lol

• Posted

you can get through it. I did and it has been a year. If i even slightly feel it coming on I take a deep breath and hold it for a few seconds and then they subside. Such a weird thing and anxiety comes in many forms ❤

• Edited

Hi Michelle,

My experience is similar to yours. Mine started about a year ago and disappeared last month, now they have returned but are worse that before.

I thought it was restless legs syndrome at first but the tremors are now all over and almost feels like there is an earth tremor and my bed in vibrating.

I've also been experiencing body tingles, balance problems and fatigue. These were happening a few months ago but seem to have disappeared but still suffering from fatigue at times. I have 3 young kids so i know what fatigue is but this is on a different level. Dr has also put it down to anxiety which I've been unmedicated for, I've been able to control it with diet and exercise. He has given me a referral to have a brain MRI to rule out MS.

I'm considering seeing a different Dr to get a second opinion. It's affecting my sleep and mood which in turn is making my anxiety worse.

I'm curious if you have experienced any other neurological symptoms like myself?

many thanks.

• Posted

I've also had all bloods done which came back normal.

• Posted

these internal tremors/whole body vibrations have gotten so much worse for me these last couple of weeks, and last night my skin was prickly or tingly feeling? Along with the vibration. I had blood work done at the ER and everything was fine and i have an appointment with my PCP in a couple of days, have you gotten any diagnosis? Im honestly scared to death and fear going to sleep. Im terrified i have MS or something seriously wrong with my brain. have you gotten any answers? has anyone??

• Posted

hiya ive been suffering for 4 months now but the last month got worse ive had the ambulance 3 times been hospital 2 heart rate up blood pressure up . i cant sleep cant switch of got brain fog back cold tingling tinnitus and off balance when i try to sleep i nod of 5/10 mins and something waking me then i have the palpatations and tingling it horrible i keep thinking ive got tumour or something my anxiety is high they put me on propanlol and rhat block my sinus then Anetnolol but that made me dizzy im so at a loose end with no sleep got zopiclone it work for first few days last night it didnt im primensaual aswell i really im not going get through this my face numb aswell can any help

• Posted

hey there,

I'm having your same exact symptoms. Have you gotten anywhere with a diagnosis or treatment? I'm currently is the midst of tests with my neurologist.

I hope you're getting some relief.

• Posted

Hi KLN-36,

I'm sorry you have to go through these symptoms! I have had these tremors for about a year now and started noticing problems with my balance, tingling, and lightheadedness about 5 months ago. I tried many thongs so far, herbal teas, drops to aide with sleep. I take melatonin now, which has been hit or miss for me. It seems to work sometimes though. HE Magnesium Complex also helped relax and maintain nerve function.

• Posted

hello!

yes, I've been experiencing very similar issues. it started with me waking up because it felt as though my bed was shaking or there was an earthquake. I experienced these episodes 3 times over 2 1/2 weeks. the second time I experienced it, I opened my eyes as I was waking up and they were uncontrollably moving back and forth. since these episodes and in between the episodes I feel tremors almost every time I wake up in the night and morning. I've had one appointment with my neurologist and he mentioned it being a type of seizure. I'm waiting to get an eeg and am going to press for a brain mri as well. I also have POTS and EDS, although I suspect it's unrelated.

• Edited

Hi, I've read your article and been searching on the internet about my symptom but I couldn't find anything about. Every time I try to fall asleep, I feel as if my bed was slowly moving like a light earthquake even though I'm laying very still.

I don't know if I'm the only one who has experienced this but would like to know if anyone else has this symptom too. This has been happening almost every night.

• Posted

I have the exact same experiences. Mine seems to be worse on days of heavy phone usage or lots of electronics use. Still have no idea what causes it! scary as hell

• Edited

omg!! i face the exact same thing, ive been googling for awhile but all that comes up is hypnonic jerks, which i know this isnt it. i too feel like suddenly my bed is shaking even tho im not moving, and i feel like smtimes im moving too although im not. but once i sit up it goes away. so even though i dont know why this happens, its comforting to know someone else knows what im going through! 😭

(also is ur nickname related to bts by any chance?)

• Edited

hey ive sctually had the same thing happen to me for the past 2 days lol. If i switch sides(cause i generally sleep on my left side) it goes away after a while. When did yours start?

• Posted

honestly, mine's been happening for a while but it wasn't that pronounced cuz id just write it off as my bed shaking or smthing, but recently ive been sleeping on my left side cuz of smthing unrelated (always would sleep on my rt), and theyve gotten worse ever since then now that i think abt it, so now that you bring that up, i wonder if thats the case? 🧐

• Posted

im so sorry to hear that 😭 i hope uve been able to sleep some since then 😦

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I have been experiencing the same thing. As I try to rest and fall asleep I wake up either with a jolt or as if im moving floating away. Its so Bizarre!

• Posted

Could be the vibrations that herald an out of body experience. Google OBE vibrations. Also William Buhlman books are good, such as 'Adventures Beyond the Body'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.