Falling Asleep Tremors

Posted , 108 users are following.

Hi guys! 

So for quite a while now, I've been experiencing what I think are tremors falling asleep.  I have posted about them before but they're causing me some bad anxiety again tonight. Usually what happens is I'm drowsy and as I'm dosing, my body starts shaking. And whenever I wake up my body is shaking/vibrating for a few minutes. 

The part that is bothering me is that I just came back from a three week vacation. While on vacation, I didn't experience these tremors at all, which was weird to me because I was experiencing them almost every night before. Now that I'm back home, my tremors are back as well. 

My endo told me last month that she thinks it might be good related, and asked me to keep a log of what I'm eating for dinner and to try and pinpoint triggers. Something I noticed is that I eat a lot more carb heavy foods at home. I read online about someone with a gluten allergy experiencing this and it's been making me wonder if it could be causing the tremors. My dinners on vacation generally had very little to no gluten and I was fine. I love my bread and pasta though and had those the last two nights being back, and also tremors with them. 

I also wondered if it could be environmental. Although, I'm not sure how it could be. Maybe I'm overthinking things.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the long post. I was just really anxious and wanting to talk to someone about it. I also want to hear if anyone has similar experiences or problems with sleeping. 

5 likes, 122 replies

122 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been having tremor almost every night my whole body would vibrate soon as I try to fall asleep, and a weird pain in my arms for a few minutes then it go away, this only happen at night when I try to fall asleep, am so worried can someone tell me why am feeling this way, I worried alot, and sometime feeling like my heart pulping so fast I think am having a heart attack, sometime it feel like something hold my head squeezing it together, please tell me why am having this tremor feelings every night . my Dr told me I have anxiety but do you think its just anxiety?

• Posted

i have heard the same thing, anxiety is the cause. If it was only anxiety, then why would the tremors / vibrations only occur when laying in bed and start up right as you drift off to sleep?

If it was anxiety cause or effect then wouldn't the tremors / vibrations occur all the time during the day while feeling anxious?

• Posted

Could be the vibrations that herald an out of body experience. Google OBE vibrations. Also William Buhlman books are good, such as 'Adventures Beyond the Body'

• Edited

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing wake/sleep internal vibration for approximately five years. I periodically search the Internet to see if anyone has discovered a physiological cause for this phenomenon. Several years ago I experienced a health crises that led my allopathic physician to test me for RA and lupus. Thankfully, I was introduced to a chiropractic physician who introduced me to the “food as medicine” lifestyle and forever changed my life. Through diet and lifestyle changes I avoided those nasty diagnoses, and the subsequent pharmaceuticals.

My passion for natural healing inspired me to leave my career as a bank manager and return to school to study holistic nutrition. Based on my education and my personal experience with internal vibration I have formed a theory. It seems to me that the trigger is hormones. I hypothesize this because I only experience the internal vibration when I wake up suddenly or if I doze off when reading/watching TV. I do not experience the vibration when waking up after a normal nights sleep. It feels like my body first receives a release of melatonin causing sleep then suddenly a rush of cortisol or another hormone involved in waking up. As a result of these two opposite hormones in a short time span I experience what feels like a car with a rough idle inside my core. Again, I disclose this is only a theory I am just as disturbed and preoccupied with the “why” as all of you. I am sure there is a simple solution once we discover the “what”.

I have included a link for anyone interested in learning more about (Circadian Rhythms and Hormonal Homeostasis: Pathophysiological Implications). I would appreciate feedback if anyone cares to read the article and explore this avenue of potential causation.

Thank you, sorry for the long post. 😊

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5372003/

• Edited

just came across your comment! I have bad anxiety, and I get the same thing! I'll be dosing off to sleep, and then I get this rush & trembling that wakes me...happens throughout my sleep! Drives me crazy! Seems like I can't turn my brain off either! ugh...

• Posted

I never thought of that theory before, my theory before this page i found was that just as i fall asleep, my brain sends a panic jolt (due to anxiety over my heart) and since im taking a beta blocker that makes my heart and lungs immune to my bodies adrenaline i figured since my heart was calm and my breathing was calm but my body is as you say, on a vibrating idle i figured my muscles were responding to the fight or flight while my medication prevented the rest of me from doing so. this tremor has ruined my sleep these last few nights, tonight i will try again but with some melatonin to aid me. i really like your theory though.. and since yall are having the same issue my theory is no good anymore assuming yall are not taking Bets blockers.

• Edited

Interesting theory! Thank you for sharing. I've been following this thread for a while as I'm struggling with this as well. What I found out, like many of the people around here, is that is based on anxiety. And in this context your theory might make sense as we release stress hormones and other things because of anxiety. I've tried so many natural things and tried to improve my lifestyle but I was at a point where I couldn't sleep, I was very tired and everything got worse even the tremors. So I've started to take a very low dose of anxiolitic (a kind of benzodiazepine prescribed by the psychiatrist) that also helps with insomnia caused by anxiety. First nights didn't work but after a week I started to fall asleep without tremors and palpitations. After 1 more week I increased the dose to the one prescribed (first week must start gradually and also come off it gradually because it could cause addiction) and everything went back to normal, I could finally sleep well. I'm planning to take it only for a month as these kind of pills are very dangerous but when nothing else works I must take it because sleep problems and related stress could kill me. We must treat the root cause (which could very well be anxiety even though we don't have anxious thoughts, anxiety is a fear without object and it doesn't always come with thoughts, our mind blocks them but then the anxiety manifests itself in the body). I'm sure that if we address this all the hormones and heart rhythm will come back to normal.

Hope everyone will find their way!

• Posted

Mine have continued for over 3 years, though I have other involuntary muscular movements all of the time. symptoms have grown over time--frequency and strength--and have made it a bit easier to talk about. Though I dont have much faith in my GP or neurologist helping and have undergone a battery of tests, I am hoping the cervical MRI tonight will reveal at least part of the source. My brain MRI (no contrast, though) rebealed nothing, yet I know these are nerve problems, & most definitely not anxiety. particularly because the symptoms I have and that many of you describe bear no resemblance to anxiety tremors, which I have experienced.

in my years of scouring manuals, research papers, disease resources and forums, this is a condition rarely discussed in this way. when it is, people have had similar experiences with doctors and others.

but here are a few options Ive learned need exploring, as at least a component of the problem: 1) MS. Symptoms vary widely but at least 37% of people diagnosed with MS experience these internal vibrations. MS can be difficult to diagnose because some symptoms mirror other disorders, and at least 2 lesions--visible on brain or spinal MRIs--must be present for a diagnosis. my MRIs, so far, show nothing, but that doesnt mean its not going on, just that lesions arent showing up yet.

2) Pinched nerve/nerves--either primary, close to the spine, and/or peripheral nerves. when the neuron firing in the brain cant reach the intended target in the body, this can be a byproduct.

3) Another movement disorder that causes blockage in the brain signals. one of my other symptoms is deep muscle movements that only recently have become more visible, but they began at about the same time. Theres a longer list of these.

4) Focal or complex partial seizures. These can vary slightly between individually, but theyre defined by conciousness and usually the ability to still move and iften completely unaware theyre taking place. Some people with larger, unconcioys seizures sometimes experience these as the 'auras' we have all heard about, but many people experience only these. Episodes with vibrating, buzzing, burning sensation, muscle contractions, localized tremor--even nearly unnoticable, spaciness, feeling of being out of it/daydreaming, sudden fatigue (mine is more prevalent now than episodic as my incidents have become more frequent), & sometimes there will be strong emotions of fear, joy or crying. i have experienced a surrealness--spiritual, out-of-body, supernatural. Also, my tremors are becoming more pronounced so my foot gets pulled to the side.

As you may have noticed, I'm leaning towards seizure activity, personally, but wouldnt rule out pinched nerve issues or early MS for my complete set of problems. Literally for over a year, I thought my bed was shaking or pushing up on its own, mainly because they were more subtle. Thankfully, thats changed and I know better whats happening, though the sense I am on a boat all of the time coupled with episodes if check-out and strong, grinding and traveling vibrations are frightening and very disruptive. Lets hope for answers for everyone soon. I simply wanted to validate those of you who know this is not anxiety and who are left feeling craxy by doctors, friends or family. youre not. And though some of the possible causes sound scary, the more likely ones really are not. I have definitely kept a symptom and episode journal and have found it so helpful in getting my own head around whats happening. This has made it clearer for doctors, even though just gradually. keep asking and pressing doctors for answers if yours continues or worsens. i see a therapist and otherwise am in the best place Ive ever been in my life. Anxiety simply isnt even in the top 10 possibilities. Let us know what you discover and thanks for starting this conversation.

• Edited

I, too, have had these tremors. Started around summer of 2018 and, ironically, not long after I learned my older brother had been diagnosed with cancer. A whole host of things hit me -- internal shaking/tremors, "brain zaps" (yes, these are a real thing, Google it), acid reflux, hiatal hernia which made me feel like I was having a heart attack -- so it was like the Sizzler buffet. The tremors were troubling, though, for sure; initially I thought there was a minor earthquake (I live in N. California) but after a couple of these I figured it out. After my brother passed about 6 months later I continued to experience this. It wasn't until beginning of this year, and Covid, that some things came back for a visit. I'm absolutely convinced it's all stress-related. I try to do a lot of self-talk/relaxation techniques which do help, plus use melatonin, etc. Mind over matter. Live a healthy lifestyle, try not to take life too seriously and take things in stride. Nothing is as dire as it seems (for the most part). Just keep things in a healthy perspective. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi there, I too have been dealing with these same exact symptoms. I have been dealing with bad GI issues at night like heartburn, etc. but I just don’t think they’re related.

It's absolutely disrupting my life, and the only way I can fall asleep and stay asleep is with Xanax, and i hate the thought of being dependent on it.

Has anyone been able to find out the actual cause, or found a non-medicated solution?

• Edited

Hi all!

In the last several months I have also began to experience these internal tremors when attempting to fall asleep. They only occur when I'm attempting to sleep at night and never during the day at all. I have general anxiety and I most definitely believe these tremors are to do with it too. Im only 25 years old so experiencing these at my age did concern me to begin with. Some weeks they occur every night and I'm lucky if I manage to sleep before 4/5am! Fortunately some weeks they barely occur at all and I sleep relatively fine. Just wondering if anyone had any good tips on how to reduce them or help deal with them at all? The lack of sleep does effect me during the day sometimes and id like to at least try some different options!

• Edited

Hi SteveBoundy

Same boat here. Last few months I've had exactly the same. Mostly soon as I try to sleep but I've also had a few at other times like during sleep waking me and in the morning but mainly its the dropping off to sleep that triggers it. I wouldn't say I particularly have any anxiety in general though. Again I've had some periods were they disappear too. Apart from them not bothering me as much if I've had a good drink of alcohol I don't have any tips as yet but am too looking for some. I will keep an eye on this post for any answers and share anything else I find out or any things that work for me. I'm 50 but dont think it is age related having read other posts. Just good to know others are experiencing the same thing as it wasn't anything I was aware of before and a bit of a surprise when it started. I will see my GP if nothing changes later. Thanks for posting anyway.

• Edited

Hi all. I'm 69 yrs old and have gone through this feeling of trembling while trying to fall asleep numerous times over the past 10 years or so. For me, almost positive it is anxiety. During the day I will find myself taking deep breaths. That is the start of my road done anxiety lane. I don't want to say it's nothing but for me, it always turns out to be nothing serious like MS or other diseases. My suggestion is to treat it as an anxiety disorder first. Look for subtle changes in your thinking or low level long term stresses that catch up to you. My adult daughter swears by CBD tinctures as sleep aid. That stopped here teeth grinding. I'm going to try it and post if it helps. I'm not advocating CBD use as I will exhaust all the normal stress relief first. Blessing

• Edited

I have been having these tremor/shakiness feelings since March. I think it stemmed from high stress levels of having to work from home remotely immediately due to covid. My job is incredibly demanding and I am essentially "on" all day. I'm currently still working from home and having a hard time separating the boundaries between work and home. I only feel the tremors at night time upon falling asleep or will wake up from a jerk and feel the sensation. It's definitely an unsettling feeling. I had a home sleep study done, so hopefully I'll get some answers, but from reading other responses here, it certainly sounds like anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.