Falling Asleep Tremors

Posted , 108 users are following.

Hi guys! 

So for quite a while now, I've been experiencing what I think are tremors falling asleep.  I have posted about them before but they're causing me some bad anxiety again tonight. Usually what happens is I'm drowsy and as I'm dosing, my body starts shaking. And whenever I wake up my body is shaking/vibrating for a few minutes. 

The part that is bothering me is that I just came back from a three week vacation. While on vacation, I didn't experience these tremors at all, which was weird to me because I was experiencing them almost every night before. Now that I'm back home, my tremors are back as well. 

My endo told me last month that she thinks it might be good related, and asked me to keep a log of what I'm eating for dinner and to try and pinpoint triggers. Something I noticed is that I eat a lot more carb heavy foods at home. I read online about someone with a gluten allergy experiencing this and it's been making me wonder if it could be causing the tremors. My dinners on vacation generally had very little to no gluten and I was fine. I love my bread and pasta though and had those the last two nights being back, and also tremors with them. 

I also wondered if it could be environmental. Although, I'm not sure how it could be. Maybe I'm overthinking things.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the long post. I was just really anxious and wanting to talk to someone about it. I also want to hear if anyone has similar experiences or problems with sleeping. 

5 likes, 122 replies

122 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm a 43 year old male and i too suffered with this buzzing in my chest that slowly came on and really didn't bother me much at the beginning but quickly got worst and didn't allow me to sleep. The answer for me was a beta blocker called Atenolol. it's a very low dose high blood pressure med my Dr. prescribed me when I explained my problem to him. It's a 25 mg tablet and it helped me immediately. Same day result and I finally slept like my old self. Hope this helps 🙏

• Edited

Wow, reading this was pretty spot on. Im a 33yr old male. Healthy as you can imagine workout/eat well enough. In the past week or so just as I was about to fall asleep boom i would wake up and my foot or my legs would be shaking (trembling) i thought i was imagining it at first or my legs were just falling asleep.. As soon as I move my position it goes away almost immediately. I am glad to see other people are going through the same thing and having the same experiences. I truly do think it is an anxiety/stress issue. I just wanted to comment so other people knew you were not alone. I took this week off of working out and I also had some major things going on in my mind subconsciously. I started a 400mg dose magnesium as well this week. I am going to try the herbal tea, breathing, and other things. Also what is weird is that I normally workout 4-5 times a week this is the first week i have not worked out in months maybe thats playing a part of having too much energy. I do know one thing i have major health anxiety and its been worse since October of 2020 with all of the Covid stuff going on and not being able to go out do things and see people so I will work on focusing on myself first. Feel free to comment or ask me any questions or shoot me a message if you need to talk 😃. This too shall pass!

• Posted

Hi Ray! Thanks for sharing. I'm experiencing the same thing as well. I found out that the sudden wake just before falling asleep it's called hypnagogic jerk. I'm not sure if this is your case too, but if you suddenly have a spasm while falling asleep this might be it. There's nothing much we can do about it, I've had it for many years but sometimes it goes away. When I'm more stressed or sleep deprived it comes back.

What made me join this platform is that recently I've also started experiencing slight tremors in my legs and arms, it feels like someone is softly shaking the bed and sometime I have the impression that I'm gonna fall out. It's so weird! I'm sure in our case it's only due to stress and anxiety and I'm searching for new ways to relax, maybe even start a meditation course or something. I gave up drinking coffee because it makes everything so much worse. My tremors and anxiety during the night got worse because of coffee and I couldn't fall asleep until 4, 5 in the morning even though I only had a small coffee before 12pm. I'm now drinking herbal teas and I take Valerian supplement for sleeping and easing the anxious feelings which come with these weird sensations at night but so far it's not working perfectly. In my case it's the opposite regarding working out. When I exercise harder or do my workout later in the afternoon the sensations are worse. Probably this has to do with the muscles recovery.

How's it going for you, have you seen any improvement over the past 4 weeks?

• Posted

hi for the last couple months ive Experienced "internal head tremor" feeling (imagine moving your head side to side ever so tiny, feels like this but my head/eyes arnt moving) idk what this is but this forum popped up as ive tried googling what this is before and this somewhat sounds the same i do get these at night when i start to fall asleep and then wake sometimes .. i have seen anxiety related post come close to these "brain tremors" i feel and i do have bad anxiety so maybe thats what it is.

just nice to know im not alone as i havnt come by any forums with people who experience this.

• Edited

I've kind of been having something like this on and off for the last year. Sometimes it's a full on sleep start, but it also manifests in less pronounced movements. As I drift off, my wrist or hips might turn, and though the motion is slight, in that dreamy state it feels more sudden and stirs me, followed by a kind of sense of dread. Sometimes it's a shudder, like something running up my spine or along my neck or ribs, which will jolt me awake, or my hand will flutter or finger will start to tap.

They come and go in bouts, and I think it correlates with stress and fixation. This last time started with an innocent jerk of my leg and I thought "oh no not again." By doing so I think I made it happen more and more because I was worrying it WOULD happen every time I laid my head down. It got really scary when I was starting to kick awake from them, or feel them shortly after waking up.

Anyone else experience them quite like this? It's a bit different than the typical full body drop sensation, so I don't know if it's just hypnic jerks or what. In any case, they go away for months at a time once I get over them. Just seems like the trick is to ignore them and get some sleep, but I always enter a bad loop of worry, leading to sleep deprivation, which of course makes it worse.

• Posted

It also happens to me. I've had it for many years and yes it stops for some months and then it comes back. As far as I know it's hypnagogic jerk. There's nothing much we can do about it except to keep the stress level, anxiety and sleep schedule under control. In my case, coffee, stress and sleep depravation make them worse.

• Edited

I'm 48. Started internal tremors upon awakening as well as at times while entering sleep. Sometimes kicking me out of entering sleep. Awakening tremors occur everyday everytime i sleep (night / nap). These Sleep-wake cycle issues having been occurring since March 2020. Started very fine now overt and persustent until i force full wakefullness and mental clarity. Some suboccipital headache on awakening. Difficult to achieve wakefullness with sometimes a sense of restricted eye movements. Chest trembling at times on awakening like a fight or flight response.Began around the time of other new symptoms including random frequent muscle twitching, occ muscle tightness (calves / chest wall), aching of the extensor muscles of the arms, very early muscle use fatigue including right back muscle aching with standing for 30m-1hr, humming paresthesias in legs at times, fluctuating shadowing double vision with additional night driving light intolerance, some mild balance issues, weak and uncomfortable knees on climbing stairs with inability to jump or run, some other tendon mild discomfort at times, progressive constipation with some intermittent dysphagia now with urinary incomplete void upon awakening. gave gone to the 3 major medical centers with no answer. Workup for MS, ALS, MSA, Parkinsons, etc all negative. Been told Functional Neurologic Disorder, a bucket for the unknown. Do not feel anxious and still occurs when having good happy calm days with my Family. Clearly physiologic tremors having something to do with Sleep transition phases and associated neurotransmitter changes. Took an SSRI fir 20yrs and weaned off slowly minimum 2 months before first visual symptom of right eye mild ache and sense if decreased power (No other way to describe it). Gave had intermittent palpitations. Wondering if related to damage from long term SSRI vs ? Flouriquinolone associated toxicity, vs immune mediated from unknown source (Virus, flu vaccine, vs unmasked autoimmune disease), vs unknown. Makes one afraid and resistant to sleep. Intermittent lowering of intensity with klonopin and propranolol. Despise having to take these meds. Just wont go away. Adamant it has nothing to do with anxiety for me with a pure pathophysiologic cause yet unidentifiable. Pray the brain will adapt and overcome eventually. Fully understand the psychological toll this takes on all of us with these undiagnosed, unknown, and unrelenting symptoms. Wishing resolution to everyone posting. There has to be an answer, or some Academic center with the interest to study this very specific phenomenon.

• Posted

ive been having the same thing. the first time it happened was a couple of years ago but it was just a slight vibration feeling. the past couple of months its been much more frequent and much worse. almost every night as soon as i doze off, i wake up with this whole body vibration feeling. it started mostly in my head and i could feel it in my mouth, but on a couple of occasions recently, its been a very hard vibration feeling in my whole body. it only happens when i first doze off. its terrifying me now and i dread going to sleep as it continues to get worse. i went to the ER and blood work came back fine and i have an appointment with my PC next week. the hospital said theyd probably refer me to a neurologist. i asked her it it could be MS and she said i am in the right age group where it could be that, but i dont have any other symptoms. Im a 29 year old female. she also said shes never heard of this, even though im finding pages like this one with many others experiencing the same thing. the worry and not knowing is torture. anyone find anything out?

• Posted

ive been having the same thing. the first time it happened was a couple of years ago but it was just a slight vibration feeling. the past couple of months its been much more frequent and much worse. almost every night as soon as i doze off, i wake up with this whole body vibration feeling. it started mostly in my head and i could feel it in my mouth, but on a couple of occasions recently, its been a very hard vibration feeling in my whole body. it only happens when i first doze off. its terrifying me now and i dread going to sleep as it continues to get worse. i went to the ER and blood work came back fine and i have an appointment with my PC next week. the hospital said theyd probably refer me to a neurologist. i asked her it it could be MS and she said i am in the right age group where it could be that, but i dont have any other symptoms. Im a 29 year old female. she also said shes never heard of this, even though im finding pages like this one with many others experiencing the same thing. the worry and not knowing is torture. anyone find anything out?

• Posted

• Posted

Hi everyone. im really struggling with this. Internal tremors/whole body vibrations every time I doze off. they are getting worse and much more often. the last two weeks its been almost every night and much more dramatic. last night when i dozed of I woke up with my whole body vibrating and this time my skin was prickly/tingly feeling. i went to the ER and they did the standard blood work which all came back fine. I see my PCP Thursday and pray they take me seriously. I fear going to sleep now, and Im scared to death its MS or something seriously wrong with my brain. Has anyone gotten any answers? Anything?

• Posted

hi i used to have internal tremors about 2 years ago when i was very anxious about my health. What helped me was listening to chill music and falling asleep with it as well as listen to calm app or something similar. Also when i closed my eyes and felt i was about to have internal tremor i would shake my body and they would go away. I was fine for 2 years but recently i have been having them on/off from time to time usually after watching something intense/stressful.

It is very unlikely that you have MS as there is much more symptoms to it then just internal tremors.

Hope you get better soon. The less you think about it, the better it will get:)

• Posted

Im going throught the exact same thing. Right before bed my face begins to tremor uncontrollably. I know i have extremely high anxiety but it doesnt make sense that the tremors would only occur at night because i am constantly anxious. Theorfore im going to see a doctor and will provide an update . Please you do the same if you get anything back.

• Posted

i feel the same. i have been dealing with for 8 month but now just waiting to see my neoroligist. my gp said its anxiety i dont think it is. im 31. what did you doctor say. if anyone has healed from please let us know my tremors are all over body, when i sleep its always viberation in my bed. when i wake up my heart beats fast my body viberates for 30 secs. I'm scared its parkinsons or ms, hope not i just wanted to go away. i hope we all get better.

• Posted

This cannot be normal. We are all experiencing this weird trembling feeling? I will describe mines. As soon as i am about to fall asleep my face feels pressurized and all of a sudden from my nose down to my jaw begins trembling Uncontrollably. I am only 21 years old i have no health problems and this is extremely odd and i am very skeptical. I am not here to be a conspiracy theorist but someone please get to the bottom of this. Please reply with updates .Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.