Falling Asleep Tremors

Posted , 108 users are following.

Hi guys! 

So for quite a while now, I've been experiencing what I think are tremors falling asleep.  I have posted about them before but they're causing me some bad anxiety again tonight. Usually what happens is I'm drowsy and as I'm dosing, my body starts shaking. And whenever I wake up my body is shaking/vibrating for a few minutes. 

The part that is bothering me is that I just came back from a three week vacation. While on vacation, I didn't experience these tremors at all, which was weird to me because I was experiencing them almost every night before. Now that I'm back home, my tremors are back as well. 

My endo told me last month that she thinks it might be good related, and asked me to keep a log of what I'm eating for dinner and to try and pinpoint triggers. Something I noticed is that I eat a lot more carb heavy foods at home. I read online about someone with a gluten allergy experiencing this and it's been making me wonder if it could be causing the tremors. My dinners on vacation generally had very little to no gluten and I was fine. I love my bread and pasta though and had those the last two nights being back, and also tremors with them. 

I also wondered if it could be environmental. Although, I'm not sure how it could be. Maybe I'm overthinking things.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the long post. I was just really anxious and wanting to talk to someone about it. I also want to hear if anyone has similar experiences or problems with sleeping. 

5 likes, 122 replies

122 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there, i just had this happen to me for possibly the second time but maybe more. I’m really not feeling well but wanted to ask before I forget - has anyone looked into vagus nerve issues? Many have mentioned palpitations and racing heart. In my past experience when I’ve had an issue with an under active vague nerve I’ve had sudden bp problems usually low but a racing heart and restless feeling. Best of luck to everyone here I will try to remember this episode and research.

• Posted

I have been experiencing these for years but they became almost nightly in the last few months. it feels like my blood is boiling in my body and i can feel it in my chest and torso and it radiates out to my neck/head/limbs. heart rate is fine-ish.. as good as it can be for being so freaked out. sometimes i need to actually sit up and walk around to shake it off. always when trying to sleep/wake up. i cant even nap anymore and i was a HUGE napper. I have also started having extreme migrating joint pain.

i think this is def anxiety related as i have been under EXTREME stress for a steady 4 years Due to an abusive relationship which made me a single mother whos fighting three family court battles trying to protect that child. between the existential threat, past medical trauma (major DVT) and financial issues - I KNOW i should be medicated - but i cant bring myself to get on meds.

im seeing a rheumatologist soon, but i really do think its stress/anxiety that just gets worse when you keep acquiring sleep debt bc of this in the forst place. vicious cycle.

• Posted

Hi I am Dispenser from Malaysia. Finally I can find a group of people who knew what exactly I am facing for the last few months.

My problem at the beginning stage (one year ago):

1. Being waken up during the midnight (2 AM to 3 AM) with some wired feeling prior to following description:
    • Trembling over my whole body, but the most noticeable on hands, feet and trunk.
    • Feeling of nearly death (very terrible).
    • Feel no strength on my jaw (cant even close, need to give some strength will it just close)
    • Others: Dizzy, short of breath, sweating, high heart beat.
    1. Visiting the doctor, checking literally everything related to tremor:
    • Not hyperthyroid, sugar level normal, level function normal, kidney function normal, ECG normal
    • Suspected something to do with nerve system, check MRI on brain, no shadowing, everything is fine.
    • The conclusion from the neurologist doctor, "YOU ARE STRESS"!

My problem at the following stage (6 months ago):

1. Find difficult to sleep, and will be a waken up by the tremble effect before the sleep, but most of the time is in the morning time, just before I woke up.
    2. Whenever I get awaken during the midnight, will have some negative thought that I may have some serious sickness like cancer last stage, tumour or something like that. Fear to death.
    3. Hand and leg will tremble on and off during the day, especially at a nervous situation. (Public speaking, exam and so on...)
    4. Hardly take a nap, the heart beat will spike crazily and short of breath. After the nap, the effect will disappear.
    5. While doing my daily task, everything is fine, but whenever I lay down on a bed, I start to feel my heart beat is really strong, even to an extent is drive my body to shake, and it is very noticeable.

My problem at the current stage (for now):

1. I do nothing, just live normally, and avoid some unnecessary task.
    2. Try to always do something to get rip from thinking of this problem.
    3. Try to manage my time wisely so that I do not do thing in rush.
    4. Read all your comment so that I know that I am not alone, and that really comforting.
    5. Pray to God to have peace of mind.
    • Posted

Let me ask you this: how do you feel when you're happy? When you have those moments of joy? I'll bet you either a) don't notice or feel it or b) don't think about it at all. So it must be stress, right? By the way I'm experiencing some similar symptoms. It could also be the stress of the fact that you are still feeling things, the symptoms themselves are stressing you out. I hope you -- and all of us -- can find a way to cope.

• Edited

Hello everyone and thank you for sharing your experiences! It's appalling how many people face this kind of problem and I'm sure there are many more people out there who go through this.

I've been also struggling with these tremors just before falling asleep for the last several months. I also sometimes have what is called hypnagogic jerks or hypnic jerks just when I'm about to fall asleep and this has happened to me before, many years ago but it comes and goes. So, for the past months I've been struggling to get rid of these tremors and weird sensations in my body at night which also make me more anxious and don't let me sleep well. I researched a lot and I found out there are many factors that must be taken into consideration.

First of all, it is true that anxiety plays a major role in this, I'm not particularly anxious and I do not take any medication, nor do I have panic attacks or anxious thoughts, but deep below the surface, in my subconscious mind I might have worries related to the current world situation and due to the lockdown and everything. My grandmother passed away last year because of the virus and so I think my anxiety raised and it's probably what causes these tremors at night. I also went through finals recently and I had a chaotic schedule and nights without sleep which I believe exacerbated these tremors. Lack of sleep makes everything worse including anxiety. At the same time, when we have these tremors we worry even more and this goes on as a vicious cycle.

However, in my own research about this I came across many mentions about body nerves and I also do get some tingling, pins and needles and random numbness in different parts of my body. This probably has to do with the fact that in the past I was medically diagnosed with a few pinched nerves in my spine because of my mild scoliosis and possibly they got worse, since I also gained weight and I've spent more time indoors and inactive.

I also sometimes feel weakness and slight dizziness together with the tremors and I thought that this is because probably the blood sugar drops during the night. When I feel like this I drink a water soluble supplement which contains glucose, sodium, potassium and vitamin C and it makes me feel better.

Tldr: the bottom line is that everyone is different and you must tune into your own body and see what things from your lifestyle might be the cause and try to change them and see what works for you. There might be many factors at play, whether it's diet and lifestyle, blood pressure and heart rate issues, blood sugar issues, pinched nerves, hypnagogic jerks or psychosomatic issues. Above all, we must find ways to relax, empty the mind and get the full hours of sleep that we need, and if we wake up because of the body sensations we must create a strategy to make our mind go back to sleep quickly because enough sleep makes a huge difference.

Keep searching for what works in your case and never give up!

• Posted

Hi everyone, i found this group last night and it really helped me get through the night. I've been having this for about two weeks and have hardly slept. I wrote last night but it was deleted by the moderator for some reason. Basically I said that I’m having similar symptoms to someone else, I cannot remember who, but I have dizziness and tinnitus throughout the day and buzzing in one of my legs, that has been there for about four months. At night I have the shaking and I have been sleeping 2 to 4 hours a night the last two weeks. The trembling starts in my chest and moves outward to my limbs Ive checked my heartrate during these times and its about 120 and I've also checked my blood pressure and its been sometimes high, sometimes not. I have had an MRI of my head and neck, and a nerve conduction test, they were all normal, but done before the trembling when i was just having buzzing in my leg. During the day I have been pretty OK, not very anxious, until today I think the bottom is falling out, and I am exhausted. Diagnoses that I am looking into: Pheochromocytoma, Addisons, Narcolepsy... Would love to hear what other people are thinking. Stay strong in these hard times!!

• Posted

MMRose, I've experienced some of these things too (the buzzing feeling, tinnitus) plus shaking etc. I also get a pulsing sound in my left ear which makes me absolutely MAD and have to sleep with a fan. The worst thing is that, at one point last year, this all seemed to be fading away -- I could go for days, weeks, without the pulsing, etc -- and then it came back. Makes you kind of bonkers. Hang in there. Would like to hear if anyone has conquered this!

• Edited

I am so glad to finally see that this is not only happening to me. I thought i was fixing to have a heart attack. This just started like about 2 months ago from today. I would get sleepy and then all of a sudden my body starts trembling. It seem as if it was my heart palpitating really fast or something.. when i finally go to sleep i would wake up sweating from head to toe. I do have anxiety and i do take xanax and its the only way to get a decent night worth of sleep. It seems like i have a buzzing cellphone in my chest when i wake up and my chest is tight which lead me to believe i have a bad heart! when i went to the doctor they said my heart rate is up and my blood pressure is high. i really do believe it has something to do with this covid-19. I do have a neck injury that i received in a car accident which I broke my neck and had to have surgery. I've had seizures in the past and I am a weed smoker and I just stopped and it seems as this issue came on after stopping. I stop smoking because it was interfering with my (gerd/ibs) .. i Think using weed was helping so i order some hemp flower to try it and see if it gets better.. im not sure whats going on but to see so many people having this exact issue around this same time period tells me that its something going on. this needs to be researched in the medical field. it wakes me up early in the morning and my chest be so tight like im about to have a heart attack. sometimes im afraid to go to sleep! its interfering with my life and my mood i find myself tired and fatigue often because of this.. i finally came to the conclusion that this may be a condition called GENERALIZED ANXIETY. which causes stomach issues like ibs it causes tremors, sweating, panic attacks and basically everything that everyone has been describing in this forum.. i did get relief from going for a run early in the morning and getting my heart rate up. its seriously something happening and not just with me. if anyone find out anything please let me know because i am having just about the same issues as everyone is describing in this forum.. i will be sure to let me doctor read this and maybe they'll get this thing figured out! good luck to you all as we are all having the same issue and we're in the same boat!

• Edited

IMPORTANT!!! TO EVERYONE HAVING THIS ISSUE... I TOO HAD THE SAME THING HAPPENING TO ME AND I THINK I HAVE FOUND THE ISSUE AND SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. IF YOU TAKE XANAX, HAVE IBS/GERD ANY MENTAL OR DEPRESSION ISSUE WE TEND TO LOSE VITAMIN B6. SO THE SYMPTOMS THAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING IS VITAMIN B6 DEFICIENCY. TURST ME GO AND BUY VITAMIN B6 ONLY AND START TAKING IT ON A DAILY BASIS AND CONTINUE TAKING IT. AND THANK ME LATER! I WAS HAVING THE SAME ISSUE I WOULD GET SLEEPY AND LAY DOWN AND MY CHEST WOULD GET TIGHT AND I WOULD START TREMBLING ON THE INSIDE OF MY STOMACH / CHEST AND I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK. MY HEART WAS ALSO BE FLUTTERING EXTREMELY FAST AND I THOUGHT I WOULD NOT WAKE UP . I WAS AFRAID TO GO TO SLEEP I WOULD ALSO HAVE TO TAKE XANAX TO GET A GOOD NIGHT REST. WHEN I WOULD WAKE UP MY CHEST WOULD BE TIGHT. MY STOMACH MUSCLES WOULD ALSO BE TIGHT AND I WOULD HAVE INDIGESTION REALLY BAD AND MY ANXIETY WOULD BE THROUGH THE ROOF. OFTEN I WOULD BE WAKEN UP VERY EARLY WITH A RACING HEART AND TIGHTENING OF THE CHEST AS IF A HEART ATTACK WAS COMING ON. I DID MY RESEARCH AND FOUND OUT THAT THESE ARE ALL SYMPTOMS OF VITAMIN B 6 DEFICIENCY. SO I HOPES THIS HELPS YOU ALL. REMEMBER TO START TAKING IT AND DON'T STOP!

• Posted

ALSO THESE ARE COFFEE / CAFFEINE & CANNABIS WITHDRAW SYMPTOMS... HOPES THIS HELPS

• Posted

I AM SO happy I found this forum. The exact same thing happens to me.. its not all the time but when it happens its so scary. I end up dozing off and all of a sudden my head or the inside of my head feels like its shaking and my heart starts palpitating so hard i have to wake myself up and sit up in bed and then it goes away. Having this happen spikes my anxiety so much. im just glad im not the only one that this happens to.

• Posted

This is why the internet is so important. I have been having these same symptoms, whole body vibrations right before falling asleep and sometimes when waking. Also a lot more instances of limbs falling asleep in the middle of the night. I'm sure they're due to anxiety, just from the way the world is right now, but just knowing that there are a lot of people out there experiencing the same thing makes me less anxious. Hope we all find some relief in the days and months ahead.

• Edited

Hey everyone I’ve been experiencing the same sensations too as I drift off to sleep it becomes so bad I try to not think about it but then I jolt out of sleep. I went to the doctor they did find a bladder infection but when I described the vibrating they looked at me like I was on something, then asked if I was stressed and ruled it to be because of the pandemic. However I’m very confused as to why it’s happening to all of us and as we go to bed. I do have GAD ( generalized anxiety disorder ) since I was 13, I’m now 23 and have never experienced this before.

It could perhaps be something happening at an energetic level with the collective consciousness but that’s definitely esoteric, who knows. Or 5G. Just trying to think outside the box. I’m hoping we find answers soon.

I’m going to try meditating more, turning off the wifi router at night, no caffeine/stimulants, less tv/technology, and try CBD oil with magnesium.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.