Falling forward feeling when sitting and standing

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

Well I thought things were getting better....I guess I was wrong. Now it's changed again, now having a falling forward feeling when I'm sitting or standing. Also the headache with upper shoukder pain is back. Every time I'm in the kitchen cooking or eating or sitting just watching tv, I feel like I'm going forward or like I'm swaying backwards. I honestly don't get this disorder. MAV is the most whacked garbage I've ever encounter. You never really feel good I don't think. So many symptoms all the time, dizzy, leaning, tilting, rocking, swaying, headache, neck pain, nausea, depression, anxiety and god knows what else. It makes no sense how this can go on day after day, headache dizziness, no headache dizziness, dizzy dizzy dizzy 24/7. The frustration and the anger that comes with it. One second or sitting just fine And 5 mins later your holding on to something to stop the falling feeling. It's just whacked and I'm so sick of this. Is this how all if you feel? I don't want to start these meds cause I'm hearing it's a pain to get off of them and all the side effects. I'm still doing VRT. All info is wonder day in and day out, when will this crap end or will it. I felt good for about 5 days last week but as soon as it started again I can't remember how it feels to feel normal and the anger and depression take over.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel the same way. I've recently started Zoloft, 2.5 weeks ago. I think, I'm noticing a small increment of improvement??? Mine is your dizziness s everyday with self movement, turning head, etc. it started after a vertigo episode and I've had three of them, not pleasant!! 

I'm seeing a new neurologist and at my first appointment with him he didn't give me a prescription but to go home and read two books on migraine and then come back to see him in a month!! I was a little perturbed with that. So, I called my NP for Zoloft which I'd had been thinking about starting anyways in the back of my mind for awhile now, since, it's been going on 10 months now after my last vertigo attack (room soonning fast, nystagmus).

It will be interesting to see what he says about the Zoloft and I've been wondering if I should've started north forlorn or amitrytiline since I've heard they are precribed fir neck and muscle pain as well as insomnia. So, I'll see if he wants to switch he over in a few weeks. 

I've read that being in medication for awhile, usually a year can break the MAV/VM cycle. I hope that's true. 

I also see a neuro-otologist and we tried low salt diet and diuretic for 5 months but it didn't help my dizzy woozy off balance swaying with motion feeling, which has been my main complaint fir 10+ months. Plus, I don't have major tinnitus, ear fullness or hearing loss

Ive realized that I've had migraines in the past and recently learned it runs in my family in my dads side. Just now it seems, I'm suffering from silent migraines. They should call them motion induced dizzy migraines!!

• Posted

I've read that even the neck pain is part of labyrinthitis. I understand your dilemma because I've got all the same symptoms. I live alone too, so I'm in a lonely place. I see ENT next Monday

• Posted

Hi, thanks for replying.  This is definitely one bad disorder.  I take you have labyrinthitis?  I have MAV, but really don't know the difference in alot of this ear stuff.  I'm sorry your alone with this.  I am thankful I haVe my family at home with me, but your right its a very lonely thing no matter who is there with you.  They try to understand but really unless you've had this you can't really get it.  

Are you on any meds?  How long have you had this?  I pray every day for all of us, that we can be healed and feel like ourselves again.  Sometime I wonder what I did to get this.  But there is no knowing I don't think, I mean they can't even really tell us how to fix it so I don't think they know what it is.  

• Posted

Hi, thank you for replying.  I hope the zoloft works for you.  

It sounds like the neuro you saw wasn't really to well at helping, read some books, I would have said, are you kidding!!!  Did you get a diagnoses with your dizziness?  I took the amitriptyline, but had awful anxiety from it, but it did help the pain and stop the headache and the dizzienss was better, thats how the ENT new it MAV, but the anxiety was horrible.  So I stopped it.  Now I'm afraid to try anything else.

You are right motion makes it all worse.  I don't know if you have this but when I'm typing on the compute and looking up and down, I get dizzy, does this happen to you?  Worse part is when it starts it doesn't matter wether i'm sitting, standing whatever it continues and can for days on end.  

I hope the meds work and you get some relief.  

• Posted

Hi Patty......I had BPPV last year. One GP did Epley manoeuvre for me and I was fantastic next day.....even booked to fly to NZ. I think it all started slowly again in March, but it was end of May that the vertigo came with a vengeance! It took me four attempts to get out of bed! I think it might be Lab this time tho....I'm so spaced out, my eyes feel as if they aren't tuned in properly etc etc. And I am really depressed.

• Posted

Hi Patty,

yes it happens to me when I move my head to much I.e. Looking up and down, etc. also side to side. However, it's everyday not days here and there. It's similar to Judys experience, cooking in the kitchen with all the turning of head and body, looking up and down, doing housework, any type of sustained activity that causes constant head/body movement. I've also been taking b2 and magnesium. 

• Posted

Do you experience migraines just before it comes back again? I find my experience is like yours but not as severe. I get the falling toward, heavy head, when moving forward or turning my head. A couple of days OK then the rubbish again. You express my feelings exactly but I don't have as migraine before hand. Is a silent migraine one without symptoms? No aura? I have only ever had the aura and not even that for months but still it comes back. I get day desperate then optimistic then depressed then angry. No medication helps. I do VRT every day and balance exercises. I can do no more.

• Posted

Thank for replying.  I get a headache after the dizziness starts, which make the dizziness worse.  The falling forward thing is new to me.  I've had this for a year now, but it started with the rocking/swaying feeling that went on for about 9 months.  I guess what bothers me is the way it changes, differenct feelings of dizziness.  I wish i wasn't so afraid of meds.  I've only tried one other than years ago when I had this before, but it was actually BPPV then, they gaVe me meclizine and valium which both made me more dizzy. 

I do have one thing that happens the day before it gets bad again, my vision has like a smokey look to it, its hard to explain, and its only there in bright lighting.  

What meds have you tried?  How long have you had MAV?

• Posted

I have had this fourteen months I take amitryptelene and propranolo

. To prevent panic attacks and make another migraine less likely. The thing is I haven't had a migraine since last Autumn, unless they happen and I am unaware.

I am imoroving but jyst as soon as aI dare to be hooeful back it comes. I get the ricking feeling when I am walking or doing a lot ofl houseeotk, cooking etc.

• Posted

Sorry about the wierd spelling. I can't go back

And proof read until I have already posted.

• Posted

I am exactly the same as you, to me though the pulling back feelings like when you've got your hair in a ponytail and someone is tugging on it! It's been 10 months for me I have been diagnosed with vestibular migraines sometimes with a headache and sometimes without, I also get really anxious about my symptoms which makes me panic as its been going on so long now and nothing I try or do makes it any better, I am taking 50mg of sertraline and 20mg of propanranol a day and have been for months they are using this to try and treat my anxiety but until the dizziness, sweats, shakes, heart pulpertations go away then my anxiety is going to remain with me....! I have had tests, scans and seen numerous doctors with no let up I still feel as bad as I did 10 months ago!

It's a horrible condition but I don't know where the answers are or where to look anymore, the doctors say it's VM and anxiety but to me it seems something more serious x

• Posted

I'm sorry your going thru this to.  The anxiety that comes with this is awful, it comes out of nowhere.  I woke up this morning with it,my heart was pounding and I feel like i'm coming out of my skin.  The only meds i have is xanax, because I'm just to worried about trying others.  So I just took the xanax.  I hate this anxiety.  I feel like you until all this stops the anxiety will remain.  I notice its only bad when the dizziness has been going on for a few days, I think becuase i just can't stop thinking about why this happening.  Has the meds your on helped at all?  Is there anything else your doing that you think could help?  I do VRT daily and some days i think its working, but then it comes back and i wonder.  

Your right this is an awful condition and there seems to be no real answers to it.  

• Posted

I just hope it will get better with time. It is horrid and can mess up your life but I refuse to let it. I go out shopping and meet friends for coffee. Walking is as good an exercise as any.

Keeping calm is the key to dealing with the anxiety. Also mindfulness. Living in the moment and not anticipating the future helps a lot, and breathing to calm myself. I also have a good cry sometimes.

• Posted

I don't know if the meds are making me worse or better?! To be honest I have only in this last week upped the dose to see if that helps, it was hard going in the beginning taking them but I've stuck with it because in the slight chance that it makes me feel even a little better is well worth it.

The anxiety is horrendous though your mind plays massive tricks on you, I could be having a good day like I was this morning then I went to feed my son and I had to sit down as I went all light headed which then has an onset of anxiety heart pulpertations, sweats, shakes etc and it takes forever to calm down by which point I've managed to work myself up so much that I think I am going to die, I obviously haven't yet lol but that's how it makes you feel.

I have had so many tests etc but I still don't believe what they are saying, they now want to put me on Topamax but I have heard really bad things about them and now I've worries myself about taking them, I'm also due on holiday to turkey next week and don't want to ruin my family's holiday moping around all week x

• Posted

May I ask, when you started the meds, did your anxeity increase?  When I tried the amitriptyline myanxiety became off the charts, so the doc had me stop.  My ENT also wanted me to take topamax and i would not, becuase of the awful things I heard about and even his nurse said the same thing.  

Its funny what anxiety can do, one minute your not even thinking about it and them whammo, you can't stop thinking about it.  It causes so many odd symptoms that you can't tell what normal and whats not, all you know is you don't feel right and wonder if you'll make it.

I hope your trip goes well and you have a good time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.