Falling sensation/dizziness/ dying feeling

Posted , 68 users are following.

Hello everyone. Every night before bed I feel like I'm rocking in a boat and very spacey. It prevents me from sleeping cos I will almost jolt myself up to prevent myself from "dying". I dunno what it could be. I'm so scared sad I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be diagnosed with something. I'm just so tired of feeling so anxious and out of control.

9 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You dont need to be scared, its a classic sign of anxiety smile

I developed anxiety when i was 14, one night i went to bed and it felt like i was on a boat rocking from side to side, or the floor was falling away from me.

I still have these feelings, after years and years of medicine, CBT, but i can control it.

And so can you, you dont need to be scared- it wont and cant hurt you.

You can use it to become stronger, face up to it and dont let it bring you down anymore. The feelings of "im losing my mind" "i have no control" are so normal, you dont need to worry. Just keep your head up, stay strong and you will get over this smile

• Posted

hi. I have had these feelings too and I know how it feels. It makes me cry and scares me so much. I am only 16 and my mom wont take me to see a doctor. please help me. what did your doctor say?
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I have had panic attacks I'm the past but 8 have never felt like I have for the past few weeks and it seems to get worse and worse. I started with dizziness which the docs say is vertigo. Then came the chest pains and heartburn,  feeling of doom as if I am dying, lump in my throat (however there is actually a lump in my throat that I can feel with my fingers), stomach pains,  back pains, tingling sensations,  feelings of falling sensations over my entire body, sweating, and of course I don't get much sleep and unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't either as I spend most nights up crying thinking I am going to die. I have been to so many doctors and each one says something different.  I don't know what to believe or what to even do anymore. I am terrified that something will happen to me and I will leave my 2 sons without their mom and my youngest without either parent as his father passed this past December one week before Christmas of a heart attack at age 42. That intensifies my anxiety because he was just so young.  All I do is pray and pray for the Lord to help me through.  Does anyone have any suggestions on any specific doctors or therapist or anything?  I have been under an extreme amount of stress lately and I know that is probably why I am so bad right now but it's ruining my life and I don't know what to do. Thanks for taking the time to read and please if you have any suggestions I am willing to consider any and all possibilities to help myself get better. 
    • Posted

Hi, I've been having these episodes on and off for the last 20 years. I came back from holiday with a severe ear infection and not long after the dizzy spells, panic, tingling started but only when I was about to fall asleep. I have read quite a bit on the internet over the years and at first put it all down to the inner ear infection i had but as I can go 6 months or so without an episode I'm leaning more toward the cause being stress and anxiety. My belief is that our brains hold onto all our anxiety and stress throughout the day and doesn't have a chance to release it becuase we are to busy doing other things. But when night time comes and we relax (or try to) in bed it's your brains opportunity to get it all out resulting in these uncomfortable feelings. Even if you don't feel stressed which alot of the time I don't (or at least don't think I am) it can still build up. Over the years I've learnt to except that when these episodes happen that they won't hurt me and will pass however uncomfortable they may be. What seems to help me is to prop myself up in bed and try to doze off in that position or as of late I have downloaded a few hypnosis apps onto my phone and listened to them when I go to bed and they do help in relaxing me and to have a good nights sleep. Another thing I've started to realise is that everything always seems so much worse when your lying in bed at night because thats the time we reflect on everything that we've not had the chance to do during the day. The only thing I can say Hayley is to keep trying different things to relax you before or at bedtime and you will find something that works for you. Good luck! 

P.S Remember everything always seems much worse in the night but without night we wouldn't have a sunrise wink

• Posted

Hey, every one  its 1.15 am now and im awake couse my heart hurts hard to breathe and heart is so loud,so i cant fall asleep couse i feel i will die...s
    • Posted

Sit up for a while take a few deep breathes you'll be fine mate. Mornings not to far off. We've all gone through this but it'll be fine. Your not alone. 
  • Posted

Reading these messages has helped me so much I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for about 4 years and know the symptoms you all describe so well. This afternoon I had an attack and started searching the wb for answers and find this site just reading that there are other people who know what I am going through calmed me down. My partner is amazing but it is hard for h
  • Posted

Him to understand what it is like. It's just so scary sometimes and I am always scared it is going to be something worse and that I might die. I have good months and then just get hit with it bad and it can last for weeks just want to feel normal again I miss it. I think this website will help it's amazing how much u can get from reading there are people who know.
  • Posted

Im sorry i dont even know if im writing in a right place...im having a worst fricking feeling ever ...i feel like im loosing my mind and my chest is hurting and  i dont wanna die...but how to stop this scary ass feeling...hard to breath...4th day its not ending..had a low blood pressure then high,then normal but feel light headed,weak and scared all week how to stooopppp it....oh my god...
    • Posted

Hey Alex, I know this is an old post but I am feeling exactly the same I was awake all night last night and im so worried about going to sleep tonight that horrible feeling that you are about to die, hope you are well smile
  • Posted

Ho to know if im not going to die...plus im scared to sleeep for a second day..i feel dizzy...
  • Posted

I made an account just to reply to this. 

First of all definitely see your doctor about this issue.

To me this is EXACTLY what happens to me prior to lucid dreaming and many thousands of other people prior to falling asleep/ lucid dream.

When you slowly start to fall asleep your brain will put your body in a state of sleep paralysis, usually this accurs right after your consciousness has switched from awake state to sleep state but with some people it will accur prior, like myself. It does this so when you are dreaming of say running, your real body doesn't actually get up and start running until you hit a wall.

Hopefully you aren't diagnosed with anything, but of course your doctor will be more than happy to throw zanax down your throat.

I've had this since I was a kid, the feeling will start off feeling like I am rocking back and forth and my vision will start to darken, then eventually my hands and feet will start to tingle and eventually go numb, at this point it always scared the hell out of me and I would have to force my self as hard as I could to snap out.

Years later I had an encredible lucid dream that absolutely blew my mind, after doing research and reading forums I realized what had been hapenning to me all of these years. My case and I believe your case is a bit rare, but my body would simply fall asleep before my mind makes the switch to sleep mode and the effects are very real and scary. 

So since then I've utilized this rarity to help induce lucid dreams, which works 8/10 times. It took a bit of time to get over the fear of "dying" and all of the other effects including hypnagogic hallucinations that accur just before falling asleep, but the result is a state of dreaming while still awake, which has been one of the most exciting experiences I've ever had. Of course taking zanax will make it almost impossible to experience the amazing lucid dream.

• Posted

Hey. I've had similar extreme feelings like this as well. I write now because last night I was jolted awake (from sleep) feeling like my soul was being sucked out of my body. I was floating and confused. I took a deep breath and realized I was sleeping on my back, which is not normal for me. So I turned over on my stomach and fell back asleep. 

I think I do not breathe as well on my back, I have woken up gasping for air as if I stopped breathing for a good minute. Maybe a type of sleep apnea. This creates adrenaline and anxiety as well. Just another thing to add to the list. 

What I feel helps with all of the anxiety attacks is thinking about what brought me there, and it is usually the thoughts about death. The fear of dying. So, in order to lessen my anxiety for good I am learning to be okay with the thought of dying. It is hard,

I do not want it to happen, being a 26 year old who enjoys her life, but there is also a 100% chance that I am going to die, as with everyone else, and this sureness stresses me the most. 

Sometimes I've even feared that If I learn to be okay with dying that right when I accept it, in that moment I will die. Which produces another panic attack and sends me into a tornado of fear and confusion. I think I'm confused because I am in fact, not dying. 

I have not died yet and I have experienced many many times where my mind actually believed I was dead. Being alive, that is the biggest fear one could have. 

So, I learn to have faith(Strength, courage and hope) that my automatic body functions, like the beating of my heart, are strong and will do there job well into my 80s. Learning to have faith in something, whether it is science, God or the universe helps you trust yourself. Learning to be brave when thinking about dying helps you learn how to actually live. 

It is no easy task learning to accept the concept of death but I know people who are brave when thinking of the thought and they seem more free than I could ever be. So I try, I try every day to be brave and to accept the unknown for I understand all my anxiety comes from the fear of death. 

Thought this might help someone. Examine your thoughts and face your fears, know that they are just thoughts, do not judge yourself for thinking them, just accept them and question why or how you can change your future thought processes to one of bravery and strength.  

Be consistent and do not give up, it takes a lot of consistency to change thought patterns and in order create new leading neuronal pathways. Dig that pathway of health, strength, faith, positivity and you will feel more free.  

Good luck to all. 

• Posted

Ive had two to three experiences of feeling "out of my body" i was also smoking weed at the time. When i quit, ive been fine. But i still have that fear of dying and my chest begins to hurt and i cannot think straight. I dont know how to just not worry about it. I want to be immortal forever along with everyone else but i know such things just arent possible.... yet 😊 its so hard to not worry about dying, i fear it everyday because its the only fear i have besides bugs. I hate knowing my time will come one day and i dont think anyone will ever be able to help me with it. I hoped sharing this thought would make it a little easier but still no change 😰
    • Posted

I have the exact same experiences!

I have been looking for people who share this!

Are you still active here?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.