Fast heart rate which wakes me up from sleep? Anyone else have this?

Posted , 8 users are following.

once a week my heart will race and wake me up just as ive fallen asleep 120-150 beats but will calm quickly. What does this mean? how can i stop it happening?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

my SUPRAVENTRICULAR TACHYCARDIA started like that in my 50 s. it was always at night and stopped a minute after it started, i did not know what it was and doctors can,t diagnose until they had proof of it happening. this happened on and off for years until the long prolonged attack many years later, i went to hospital and a few hours later it was going back down. i was given adenosine which is unpleasant which didn,t work. I have had quite a few attacks where i,ve had to be taken to A and E, i am now awaiting an ablation. i,m 74 years old now.

• Posted

whats ablation?

Do you know what was causing yours? Im only 24 years old so not sure why this is happening

• Posted

apparently its a problem with the electrics in the heart,an extra pathway some are born with it. i,ve had palpitations for many years with missed heart beats called ectopic beats. stress upset started mine off but i could never explain why i,d get attacks just after i,d dropped off to sleep. i am an anxious person and have been depressed on and off throughout my life.

• Posted

Have the doctors said anything to help improve it? is it dangerous for it to keep happening?

• Posted

I think the obvious reply is if this is once a week does it occur on the same day? if so are you doing anything special on that day prior to the incidents, from yoga to exercise, a meal out, an evening at the pub?

Tony

• Posted

Im not really doing anything specifically on that day. Maybe just more conscious of it happening. I have the same routine most days and just do different exercise routines each day (maybe harder one on a tuesday) but dont think it could be that!

• Posted

How long has this been going on? Is it always the same day that you wake up with your heart racing? I don't see why it couldn't be a different exercise regime if it coincides with the problem the next morning.

Has anything else changed in your life? Change of diet? Putting on weight or losing it? A House move? New employers? New relationship?

You really need to be more specific and identify if it is happening randomly after all, or whether you have started to do something out of the ordinary on a specific day which then means you have a problem the following morning.

• Posted

Nothing much has changed thats why im confused. Ive never had it before. Ive been having it once a week but twice this week as im stressing about it alot. As dont know whether its anxiety related or heart related

• Posted

hi

the same happened to me going back a few years ago had all the tests they were all normal

only managed to caputure the episode by accident as it happend one afternoon

i was told it was proxmal atrail fibrillation i was 48

iam on medication now and waiting for an amblation

• Posted

Thats not good. I really dont want this at 24 years old

• Edited

Amy, the more anxious you become the more it is likely that these problems will recur.

If it is something new your first port of call should be your GP. Try to get a face to face personal interview but even talking over the phone will then ensure there s a satisfactory next step.

At the least the Doctor will want to listen in to your heart, give you an ecg , check your general health then decide what needs doing next.

It is probably nothing at all, but to stop yourself worrying and making it worse do get that first appointment sorted out. please keep us all informed.

• Posted

Excellent advice from tony... get to an MD to see what it is or if anything to be concerned about. I've had to deal with various heart "electrical" issues since my teens from tachycardia (which sounds like what you have), PACs, PVCs, and a couple Afib episodes. I'm 68 and told my heart is structurally sound and the irregular beats is not bad enough to do anything about like an ablation. So I am trying to control my fears of these horribly terrifying un-normal beats through meditation, prayer, and forums like this where folks have similar heart beat issues and getting on with their lives. I pray you'll find out it's nothing serious or maybe find that a medication like beta-blockers helped me with tachycardia years ago. Ditto on keep us posted! And famous words my cardiologists say to me..."don't worry"! Easier said than done, huh?!

• Posted

Did taking beta blockers make it go away for you?

Thanks, Ive had my heart tested before and never had anything bad said about it just some irregular beats! so hopefully i can get it sorted!

• Posted

beta blockers helped with the racing heartbeats for a short while. So I eventually stopped taking (with MDs approval) and then tachycardia eventually stopped on its own. My heart would race anywhere from 100 to 150 but only lasted about a minute. Your cardiologist should be giving you instructions on how many bpm and how long it lasts for them to address. it's different for everybody so you should follow your docs. Hopefully you've had all the tests they need to help you figure out why. Take care and hang in there!

• Posted

Ive been put on propanolol for a while and waiting for 24 hour ecg to be done! hopefully it will be ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.