Fast recovery from a ' acid rebound reaction'?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

So I have been diagnosed with Gastritis, GERD and Duodenal erosions. Since my current diet was only low-fat, not low-acid it didn't improve my symptoms worse (and my stress was making it much worse).  It was not until a month ago when I read the 'How I cured my gastritis.' thread by Ines that I started incorporating low-acid food into my diet and eliminating the irritating ones. I felt relatively better in two weeks and my symptoms were controlled : No more loose bright stools, very minor stomach cramps, less bloating and nausea and even my belching became significantly less. However, over the course of the last few weeks, I cheated on my diet...Big time. I became overconfident and started eating outside not once, twice but 6 times!!! It ranged from grilled chicken steaks to grilled fish, pizza and *gulp* some Mexican cuisine. I know, i know I screwed up big time. It was not until the day of my 6th cheat meal that I felt like something was definitely up. And from that day onward, things started to get much worse. For the first time I felt 'burning pain' in my stomach, there is slight indigestion and I started belching more than ever. Sleepless nights naturally followed and my stools became light and loose again. My stomach cramps are constant and just won't go away! I became strict with my diet again but it's the 5th day and the stomach cramp/pain just won't go away! I have exams next week and I'm freaking out. sad

So I wanted to ask you guys about the duration of the 'acid rebound reaction' and how to quickly control it? I know, I know, the actual full recovery from my gastritis will be completed in 2-3 months, maybe more now that I messed up my stomach even more. 

Oh and I take omeprazole 20mg twice a day, Ganaton twice a day and Gaviscon on and off.

Ps, I eat small frequent meals, sleep 3 hours after eating dinner and sleep with the head elevated. Any more tips that I should follow?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Gastritis years ago. I was given Gaviscon. To cut a long story short I sometimes get symptoms to do with acid reflux when I'm not careful enough with my diet.

I take Barberry, a herb. You can also take a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water. Apple cider vinegar is really useful to regularly take.

Lemons alkalise the body because acidic foods such as lemons turn into alkaline ash in our bodies, wherease alkaline foods such as flour etc turn acidic in our bodies. It's to do with the enzymes our bodies produce to deal with them.

• Posted

Thanks for your repy! Whoa...I just spent two months with this aweful condition and I thought I had enough. Oh well, guess I have to be mentally prepared to eat healthy for most of the rest of my life, which is actually a good thing if you think about it. And thanka again for the info about the lemons. I was skeptic about using them because of it's acidic nature but I guess I'll try it. Can I use it on chamomile tea?
    • Posted

A squeeze of fresh lemon juice sound great in Chamomile tea! I'll have to try that myself! razz

I used to make beef stew but I started getting painful heartburn so I cut beef out of my diet. Lamb stew is better but still sometimes gives me it. I never get it from eating chicken, and I eat a lot of fish.

• Posted

I wouldn't use lemon or anything acidic. Lemon ginger tea is one of the things that put me initially into the acute phase of my gastritis
    • Posted

I would and do! But it's a regular thing to alkalise my body. As I tried to explain when you put something acidic such as lemons in your mouth the body produces alkaline enzymes to neutralise the acid so you become more alkaline.

Meat is alkaline, as is pastry etc, and your mouth and digestive tract produces a lot of acid to restore the body's balance, hence acid reflux.

• Posted

Yeah, but when you have gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) the last thing you want to do is throw something acidic on it
    • Posted

Which is why I said I alkalise my body regularly and when I occassionally get reflux from going mad and eating meat or pastry or something I take bicarbonate of soda in water. Apple cider vinegar in water.

And I also agreed with you on Slippery Elm Bark, and I added Aloe Vera to what you said.

• Posted

Thanks Georia!

When do you think should I take the sodium bi carbonate drink? First thing in the morning on an empty stomach? And can I use the baking soda used for baking and cooking?

• Posted

Sorry you "mucked up"...happens a lot with most everyone, including my wife.

I cannot help with and rapid healings..Georgia has good tips..

Where I can offer some advice:

French fries are cooked in temperaturs around 375F

Pizza ovens often are at 500 to 600F

At what temp might be the "smoke point"be for either

oils within the pizza, assuming french fry oil is "FRESH"?

and not reused?

Do a google scholar search for HNE. This is the

toxin that can form at "smoke point"...doesn't bother

the healthy but can wreck havoc on those who are

not..

Wife recovered from Gastritis around October, we

stay prudent for 6 months or mid april...she is on

her way to Toronto today, first outing in 2 years...

she will only eat "steamed" foods outside of family

settings.

What we experienced for  months once

she "seemed cured" was "any heated oil" caused

problems and set her back "big time". But once 

"compliant" with oil diet....there has been no issues

whatsoever...we continue small meals but she can

pretty much eat everything...she does abstain

from butter but uses organic coconut oil without

issue.I don't know if butter hurts or helps since 

she refuses it...

Best way to protect yourself is to be very prudent

with anything you put into your stomach..

.I am PPI biased.but not Gaviscon plus.

Claudio

• Posted

Brilliant advice Claudio! Steamed foods, Coconut oil! razz

Adding if you cook or warm foods on cooker rings don't do it above the temperature of 4 electric, I don't know what that would convert to on a gas cooker but mid range temp.

If you use aluminium pans get rid of them because they're toxic, and get yourselves a good stainless steel set of pans.

• Posted

Good suggestions as always Georgia,

and yes, toossed the aluminum about 10 years ago...sniffled when I tossed the pressure cooker, replaced with a stainless and the seal lasted twice, replaced, one year later same...spent a ton of $$ to get a French made unit as All other units available at the time were from.. China

..took my gal this am to SFO...on return, stopped by grocer to purchase food for one senior (I volunteer aid for 2 in my inediate community) and had a flat tyre..checked it..and had a hole as big as a golf ball...consider myself very very lucky, freeways here are like "race tracks"...claudio

• Posted

Haha, yup I "mucked up". Couldn't have said it any better myself. wink

I read the stuff you recommended and it's all crystal clear why I got such a bad 'acid rebound reaction'. Couldn't believe I actually ate such unsafe and unhealthy foods WHILE my stomach was still in recovery.... 6 times! No wonder why it's taking so long to control the rebound. And I understand why your wife would avoid butter. Even I am scared to try anything until and unless my stomach goes back to 'normal'. I'm glad your wife made it through. I'm feeling a bit relaxed knowing that this is a normal part of recovery. I just have to make sure not to eat ANYTHING outside for 2-3 months.

• Posted

On Freeways like race tracks, life is so fast these days, no wonder we get gastroenteritis and other health conditions from all the stress, like Deb said it's a trigger.

Sounds like you had a good time in SFO though! razz

• Posted

Hi Ahmad,

For some unknown "excuse" I glossed over your initial statement

"I was diagnosed with duodenal erosions " .

These are the same as "ulcers"..usually called peptic ulcers.

The "usual" cause of these is HPylori or about 70% of the time...others can be from NSAID's, smoking and other stuff.

Did your dr suggest "cause"? thanks, Claudio

• Posted

Shudda took the gals with my 2 seater Toy prerunner to SFO. would have been very snuggy in spite the two are petite (elder sis is a taiji master" I didn't go into Chinatown nor the Warf..just to the International Terminal  and back home.

Btw...why not "zest" of fresh ginger in chamomile tea ?studies of chamomile  indicate potent antiinflammatory action, some antimutagenic and cholesterol-lowering activities, as well as antispasmotic and anxiolytic effects, then add anti ulcer ginger (zest only for an anti-ulcer constituent, 6-gingesulfonic acid, and the  three monoacyldigalactosylglycerols, gingerglycolipids A, B, and C, ? what's your thoughts?

Claudio

• Posted

Wow so did I Claudio! My reason is that I have to skim long sections of text without spaces, because my eye sight is not great and my concentration levels are sometimes poor.

Debs advice, especially Slippery Elm Bark, and take Aloe Vera juice daily.

• Posted

That's weird, I also said somewhere that 'duodenal erosions' actually meant peptic ulcers. The doctor didn't tell me about no ulcer but I did make it clear that I was overweight and would eat fast foods A LOT for the past 3-4 years. The main offender was the caffeine in cola. I used to drink 3-4 cans of cola a day. I used to drink it to quench my thirst too and only drink water for , like, once a week? So that was evident enough for my condition. I guess I'm in a lot of pain because of the ulcer. I'm not sure. Oh and after my endoscopy I was diagnosed with gastritis, incompetent LES (Although I had no acid creeping up my esophagus) and duodenal erosions. I had no H.Pylori. Even the stool test was negative.

I just hope my stools get better as it still bright and kinda loose. The stomach cramps diminished slightly compared to yesterday. I guess it'll take another week or two to recover from this rebound.

PS, I never smoked or drink. Awesome for a 21 year old, huh? biggrin

• Posted

I have a scar from the centre of my chest down to just above my pubic area from a perforated duodenal ulcer operation. If I'd been alone when it perforated I would certainly have died. So I've had to learn how to stay alive. razz
    • Posted

sure like that your cramps have diminished....Some dr's use the words  "erosins, leisions, and peptic ulcer..pretty much all the same except for exact location.

These are your highest priority...they most likely cause your Gastritis, please confirm with your dr next week..and ask  if you could replace the ppi with bismuth tablets..not the liquid. Your continued use of DGL and or Slippery Elm are beneficial...along with any lactic acid foods you can tolerate.

Carbonated sodas were not on many researched journals for "cause", only major irritations but I suppose excesses can do some dirty work.

Also, at sometime you might look into the Iranian Cultural Cheese since it has a probiotic specific against peptic ulcer per the Islamic Izad University in Parand.

Claudio

• Posted

Damn! That was a close one! But how did it reach that stage? I mean, you must have been using medicines to avoid that. I'm glad you made it through...it is considered the last stage of gastritis.sad
    • Posted

I've also read that research still hasn't proved the connection between ulcers and carbonated drinks. Maybe if I make things more clear then you'll understand. I got diagnosed 2 months after the symptoms started, so I was still indulging in fast food, spicy food and colas despite the fact that gastritis had already kicked in.

I will try and get DGL, Pepzin and Slippery elm as soon as possible. Oh and I tolerate lactoce very well. It is evident by the fact that I don't get any pain after drinking milk and even after a few hours I'm fine. In fact, it eases the pain instead. And I love yogurt too! I eat it as a snack whenever I'm hungry. Although I was skeptic about the cheese but since it has helpful probiotics for ulcers i might try em...if I could find it. Haha

Lastly, I heard a lot about cabbage juice. even research proved it's efficacy. tried it for a day a month ago and although it reduced the stomach pain great but it gave me a lot of gas. I was continuesly burping for the next 15 minutes. maybe I should give it a try again....

• Posted

Your a "king Dude" ahmad,

you've peptic ulcers, gerd, gastritis, and possibly a weak LES maybe still a tad overweight and yet you can take lactose without the usual 2 hour acid reflux...further if your fecal assay for HP was negative (and you were not on a ppi since they will absolutely show hp negatie in both ubt and stool assay"....a very good sign indeed...so with a good diet, some "extra" help from yogurts, kefirs, lactic acid foods, you ought to fare better than most...just got to remember. you've an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other...intellect vs emotion...make the best choice for your future.....

Re cabbage...it sure can produce gas...fresh is antimicrobial, femented is probiotic....for fresh and limited gas use "leaf" lettuce.."napa"...make your own with a blender and good filtered water (soak the leaves in water with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to kill off any bad pathogens, then rinse)......fermented takes time...youtube has diy kimchi...just don't put the spice in it...this could be why Koreans didn't have any Avian flu...nor did China's Benxi Province (near N Korea and fermted cabbage eaters)...even fed their chickes with it...

Targeting the ulcers...is my opiniion that has given you troubles...btw...the research that did include the "possibility" of ulcer induced caronated soda made it clear that SALT was most likely the culprit...the soda was merely to quench the thirst from the excess sodium..

Lastly, while you tolerate lactose, I'd rather you OD on yogurts or fermeted milk for a period of time only because of the "usual" difficulty of lactose processing...fermented milk has probiotics and the big guy that starts with A..is well known to adhere to mucosa thus protecting and boosting cell survival and beneficial activity. Get your family here to send you whatever you think you need, I'd sugest where to purchase but would need to do that via pm, just let me know...Claudio

• Posted

No medications and it's in the past. Doesn't matter how I got there, fact is I did so I've learnt a few things since. cheesygrin My life story might bore you.
    • Posted

Thanks Claudio! You're right, I have an incompetent LES too. I was surprised too to learn that many people quit on dairy when they are diagnosed wth gastritis/GERD. I drank a glass of milk a few hours ago and I'm feeling completely normal. No stomach pain and like I told you, it relieved the pain instead. (Although it did give me a bit of gas). I'm glad that my body is good at something other than giving me a bad time with pain and cramps. Hahacheesygrin. This aweful condition did give me a lot of benefits like eating healthy and obtaining a normal weight. My BMI was 26.7 before gastritis and now it's 22.2. I lost over 22 pounds in roughly 3 months. Yay!

You're right, I had been taking a lot of stress for no apparent reason. I let my emotions run wild. Research proved that the mind has no limits to scare itself. That means that fear can keep on building up, there's no limit to it and so you'll be more and more depressed.

Thank God, my condition is improving. I still have a week to go to recover fully from the rebound. I may not need the cabbage juice after all, but If I do, I'll make sure to use your suggestions. It was not until now that I got to know that I actually have an ulcer, meaning I have to be even more careful. I had taken my condition lightly and it has "mucked me up". I'll be sure to avoid even the slightest mistake for at least a few months. Oh and about the cola, I won't be drinking no soda for the rest of my life. I'm mentally allergic to it now. lol

I'm eating yougurt on a daily basis and drinking milk after 2 days. I'll continue and drink milk on a daily basis once I'm recovered halfway.

Thanks a ton, Claudio. you've been a great help and a source of knowlegde to better undertsand my condition. I just need a little bit more of your knowledge so bear with me for a while. XD 

Ok, so I was thinking about the relationship between belching and my incompetent LES. I burp hours after a meal and it slightly annoys me. Some docs say it's due to "swallowing more air" which is a really vague reason, in my opinion. I didn't have this belching problem before! So it's not a habit of mine. My theory is that due to the loose LES, it's letting more air in during eating, drinking or even breathing. This might cause a lot of gas to accumulate in us and thus we belch more. What do you think?

• Posted

I eat a whole big tub of probiotic plain yoghurt every day with lemon juice squeezed in it. It's doing alright by me! Good one on your recovery and may it continue.
    • Posted

..I think you know more now about the physiology of this process than just a short time ago..and you've learned in a very short time. 

I am not certain I can answer your question because I've witnessed others while in recovery from any number of illnesses and or surgery develop this belching for a short time. I have "guessed" this was due to both some post recovery adjustments and swallowed air. Yesterday, I asked one of my  seniors I look after in our community if she was comfortable with eating and her digestive process...she had major surgery and in recovery...she said "she still was "burping" some because of being too hungry and eating too fast...told me she would begin to use an alarm to initiate preparing a meal rather than waiting till she was hungry. So in my opinion, like you she self diagnosed and thought of a plan to remedy. Her bowels had been slow post surgery but we teamed up and she is back to normal...

She is risking going out for lunch today...but she knows what and how much to eat...I have confidence she will do just fine. (Japan restaruant with miso soup, grilled salmon, rice, salad..no deep fry and no sashimi yet). It's gratifying to work with these seniors who have keen minds with youthful inquisitiveness.I consider myself very lucky...others like me have had less than favorable outcomes with their seniors.. Claudio

• Posted

Haha, I actually enjoy life stories. I still listen to my grandpa when he's talking about his glory days and the numerous events and accidents that happened with keen interest. Even though I heard it from him repeatedly, they never seem to bore me. It's because I learn something new everytime. I would love to listen to your story! Crossing paths with death is not really easy and is a worthy tale to be shared.
    • Posted

Very interesting Ahmad,

not many have your patience to listen to the same story repeated numerous times. When Granpa/Granma talk and share their experiences "they are there in time and place mentally" you can see it in their most pleasant facial expressions and even in the tone of their voice.

Those of us who reach a certain age, realize that the longer we live, the more family and friends we lose. Our only comfort is mentally reliving previous times..never was fortune to know my grandfathers both from different countries, but had the good fortune having mi abuela Manuela Gomez, her photo is on my fireplace mantel since I moved into this house in 1981.I was raised in her house until age 6 that "she built herself" mi abuelo drowned in a flood in Montery Mexico a few years before I was born...her only language was Spanish. My mom had a 100K terabite memory and shared her experiences with family in the past.

Hopefully I'll be able to do the same with ever growing numbers of grandchildren..even if they don't have the Ahmad patience...Claudio

• Posted

Lol Ahmad, well it's like this, I was born......The End. Oh yes with bits in the middle. And I'm still here. cheesygrin

• Posted

Thanks, Don! I may be tolerant with lactose but I shouldn't get overconfident and start drinking loads of it as it's slighthly harder to digest. You know what they say, slow and steady wins the race. I believe I have almost the same belching problem as your senior, I burp either when I'm hungry or after I eat. Nonetheless, it has become evident that the belching won't go away as long as my gastritis isn't controlled. Meaning, I still have at least 2-3 months to go.

I was always considered patient until I reached the so-called "teen" stage...that's when I changed very much. And not in a good way. I became impatient and stopped spending time with my family. i was always on Facebook or playing games or out with friends most o the time. I became a very different man. I started arguing with my mom often (she's really sweet and loving, which made her an easy target for my rants. However, I was still scared from my dad. I would never dare to argue with him! lol). Things were taking a turn for the worse as I grew up. That was until I got this condition. I felt helpless. The pain won't go away. I couldn't eat as I was bloated 24/7. My hands and feet would sweat often and I would always be depressed. But my family was always there was me. All the time. My dad and mom would stay awake all night to take care of me (I used to wake up at 3 am from abdominal pain or tremors). My sisters were always there for me when I needed something. My grandpa would come and visit and give a lot of useful tips. I realized that THIS is what really made me happy.The source of my happiness is, and always will be, my family. We take the things that matters the most to us for granted. I'm glad that I'm back to my senses. Now I'm back to being the old me. This is another benefit I got from this condition. I consider it as a blessing in disguise from God. 

I also miss mi abuela. She died 6 years ago due to brain hemorrage. It was all so sudden. My grandpa told me that I was her favorite grandchild. It just shows that you never know who is gonna say goodbye forever. So we better spend time with our loved ones as much as we can. And I pray that you get to meet your great-grandchildren too! haha

• Posted

your nowadays  thoughs mirror the composition of the boy and the girl (voice of china) family  reverances.

Oh, and I plan to be around when my great grandchilren have kids...which reminds me John03683 started a new discussion 'Crazy discovery! Acid blocker rebound and soda pop cure.'

When grandkids visit, due to the long travels, occasionally they have upset stomach's...I give them a few swallows of classic coke..and within nano seconds, issues are gone....and they go on to wreck havoc here and in our once quiet neighborhood.Wife threatens to hide the coke  before the next visitation.

Claudio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.