Fast recovery from a ' acid rebound reaction'?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

So I have been diagnosed with Gastritis, GERD and Duodenal erosions. Since my current diet was only low-fat, not low-acid it didn't improve my symptoms worse (and my stress was making it much worse).  It was not until a month ago when I read the 'How I cured my gastritis.' thread by Ines that I started incorporating low-acid food into my diet and eliminating the irritating ones. I felt relatively better in two weeks and my symptoms were controlled : No more loose bright stools, very minor stomach cramps, less bloating and nausea and even my belching became significantly less. However, over the course of the last few weeks, I cheated on my diet...Big time. I became overconfident and started eating outside not once, twice but 6 times!!! It ranged from grilled chicken steaks to grilled fish, pizza and *gulp* some Mexican cuisine. I know, i know I screwed up big time. It was not until the day of my 6th cheat meal that I felt like something was definitely up. And from that day onward, things started to get much worse. For the first time I felt 'burning pain' in my stomach, there is slight indigestion and I started belching more than ever. Sleepless nights naturally followed and my stools became light and loose again. My stomach cramps are constant and just won't go away! I became strict with my diet again but it's the 5th day and the stomach cramp/pain just won't go away! I have exams next week and I'm freaking out. sad

So I wanted to ask you guys about the duration of the 'acid rebound reaction' and how to quickly control it? I know, I know, the actual full recovery from my gastritis will be completed in 2-3 months, maybe more now that I messed up my stomach even more. 

Oh and I take omeprazole 20mg twice a day, Ganaton twice a day and Gaviscon on and off.

Ps, I eat small frequent meals, sleep 3 hours after eating dinner and sleep with the head elevated. Any more tips that I should follow?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ahmad!

I also followed Ines' thread and advice and I am so much better, and very grateful to her.  I never did the medication route, but just stuck to the low acid diet for many months, drank chamomille tea with licorice first thing in the morning, slippery elm, and the most important supplement Pepsin GI (I really turned the corner when I began taking it). I would find a way to mitigate stress as this is a trigger for gastritis. Just go back to the diet, relax, learn from your mistakes, and realize it will take time.

• Posted

Hiya Deb!

Yeah, I'm really grateful to Ines, too. Truth to be told, I was under much much more stress a few months ago as I wasn't recovering despite taking medications (it was due to my diet but I had no clue about having a strict low-acid diet) and I've never had a disease that lasted this long with so much pain and disturbances so naturally I was freaking out every single day. The internet made things worse as the symptoms I searched on were always leading to cancer or any other incurable disease. My condition was on my mind 24/7. Then I found out about Ines's thread and my spirits were lifted again. Trial and error is a normal part of this condition and even a small improvement may take a lot of time. I'm glad you were able to recover using the natural way. Ines said it was slow but you were patient enough to go through it all.

Unfortunately, these natural supplements aren't available in my country. However, I have many relatives living in the states so I might contact them to ship it to me or something. 

Oh and that reminds me, I should get some more chamomile tea as my current supplies had finished 2 days ago! 

I definitely learned a lesson. That's why I made an oath to not eat anything outside for the next three months. Yup, I've just had enough of it. 

say, did you also have a really bad acid rebound reaction? It's definitely something to reckon with.

• Posted

Hi Ahmad!

No, I never had an acid rebound reaction. At this point I've realized that people have tremendous variation in the the type of gastritis they experience. Mine seems to be the Erosive Gastritis and any kind of acid worsens my condition, ie had to give up my beloved yogurt. However others seem to have a type including GERD and incompetant LES where low stomach acid is the precipitating factor, and acidic stuff like ACV and HCL help (those would kill me). Makes it very confusing but I guess like we've said it is all trial and error and everyone has to figure out for themselves what works

• Posted

Hi Deb,

your correct as Gastritis by definition is oversimplified ..we all know inflammation can be from most anything from venom to autoimmunity  and my no means can we assume that antivenom works for lupus.

Correct me if I'm mistaken...the cause of erosive gastritis is associated with an autoimune disorder? and if so, what treatments were prescribed? thanks, Claudio

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! You're absolutely correct, it seems like the reaction time of gastritis is different to many people. Hmm, seems like even low acid can cause these conditions. But I'm pretty sure my one is due to excess acid. Following my endoscopy, the doctor advised me to not eat spicy, oily foods and avoid coffee, tea and carbonated drinks. 

Just like you said, the hardest part was figuring out what works for me and what doesn't. To be honest, I'm kinda impatient and always want fast results...and that is definitely not the case with gastritis. By the way, how long do think I should follow this diet and then very slowly incorporating more acidic foods into my diet?

• Posted

For me it took many many months, but much of that was part of the trial and error process. Just strive to avoid symptoms and this should give your stomach a chance to heal. For me that was acidic foods, coffee, alcohol. I've slowly added things back, but still am a bit sensitive to acidic stuff, so I'm steering clear. Just watch for symptoms and let that be your guide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.