Fastening shoes

Posted , 7 users are following.

am I able to try fastening shoes if my feet against wall and legs slightly lower than hip where I can reach my laces without stretching is my question.

I at home now use no sticks and no sticks going up stairs.

at work I use sticks to get to work, walking through shop floor, but in office walk around with none and sometimes one.

at end of day my hip is fine but noticed a little discomfort if my pelvic area when I go to relax on the bed which lasts for 30 mins to 1 hr.

I sometimes forget I've had a n operation. dont get me wrong I'm not bending (well I do slowly and slightly now and again but not too low if you get me, and very rare I do this but want to be honest)

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i found a really jnteresting article yesterday they compared 2 groups of patients who were matched for anterior posterior and lateral.

one mixed group had to adhere to the usual precautions ( not more than 90degrees, no crossing midline etc) and the other group had merely avoid one movement ( described as the action like shaving the legs - twisting out and bending at the same tine?) . They found that the usual precaution group had 6 dislocations and the other group had 7 - which is statistically insignificant - ie no difference. They argued that the usual restrictions actually cause problems as they prevent normal movement! My daughter in law is a progressive physio ans she has been saying this to me all along, but being so rule abiding I didnt listen to her. Lol

i need to find the article again and post the link

• Posted

i was wrong.... i got two muddled articles up the linked below article related only to posterior thr. There was another that dealt with anterior - that one peer reviewed lots of reaearch and found that there was no benefit to restrictions

• Posted

I chose a surgeon who did the anterior approach, but the one who only does the posterior approach said that there are very few restrictions any more.

• Posted

I had lateral posterior approach and was told I could touch my toes after the op if I wanted to.

• Posted

Hip replacement patients can skip hip precautions, study suggests

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190312170818.htm

Low-risk patients undergoing a total hip replacement with a posterior approach can skip the standard hip precautions currently recommended for post-surgical recovery, according to a new study.

• Posted

Very interesting. I notice that they also comment on the blood thinners used. Most of us in the US used low-dose aspirin, whereas some people in the UK are still giving themselves injections or other serious blood thinners.

• Posted

i had fragmin injections for 28 days. That is routine for all operations between the knees and waist in the UK.

There is seriously no consistency at all

• Posted

Hi Damaris, I didn't have blood thinning injections, just tablets for 28 days, so it does vary quite a lot.

• Posted

I had the new anticoagulant oral tablets mine was rivaroxaban. I had to take them for 35 days, they can have some quite nasty side effects like death, but I was OK!

• Posted

Yes. I had mine done in Naples Fl,. I currently live in Antigua and getting it done there was out of the question. The service in Naples was fantastic. You get a thick book on all aspects of the procedure and in it there was a study on aspirin vs warfarin et al post op. The conclusion was , aspirin is sufficient and has a better risk profile.

• Posted

It makes so much more sense to use aspirin rather than injections or other serious medications. I don't know why it takes the medical community so long to change protocols.

• Posted

that is interesting - I would prefer to have aspirin!

where in Antigua do you live? Our oldest friend used to have a hotel there

• Posted

The trouble with aspirin is it can cause stomach bleeding.

• Posted

When i asked my team about the shoe fastening thing they said it was a major milestone and dont think about it.So I focused on other things and one day without any ceremony, I found had tied my shoelaces perfectly normally without thinking. Week 8 it was. I got attached to the daily trials and triumphs and actually miss them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.