Fastening shoes

Posted , 7 users are following.

am I able to try fastening shoes if my feet against wall and legs slightly lower than hip where I can reach my laces without stretching is my question.

I at home now use no sticks and no sticks going up stairs.

at work I use sticks to get to work, walking through shop floor, but in office walk around with none and sometimes one.

at end of day my hip is fine but noticed a little discomfort if my pelvic area when I go to relax on the bed which lasts for 30 mins to 1 hr.

I sometimes forget I've had a n operation. dont get me wrong I'm not bending (well I do slowly and slightly now and again but not too low if you get me, and very rare I do this but want to be honest)

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When i asked my team about the shoe fastening thing they said it was a major milestone and dont think about it.So I focused on other things and one day without any ceremony, I found had tied my shoelaces perfectly normally without thinking. Week 8 it was. I got attached to the daily trials and triumphs and actually miss them.

• Posted

Age might be relevant-I was 58 the 1st time and 61 the 2nd time. The 1st was a quick and easy recovery. The 2nd took much longer. Reason for the replacement? Osteo or rheumatoid arthritis? Hip fracture? I have osteoarthritis. I had one hip done at a time. With both it took 4 weeks before I automatically began to pick things up from the floor.But putting on and tying shoes was harder for me the 2nd time. It's been well over 5 years and it's still hard to bend so far down and to stay long enough to tie the shoe. So I lift my leg and cross it (typical man crossed leg). But ... my best friend(s) is a long shoe horn and laceless shoes or in appropriate weather, ankle boots with a zipper. Good luck.

• Posted

I had a good gadget for picking things up, and another for putting on socks. Very cheap from Amazon. I don.t need them any more but occasionally use the picker upper to spare my back. If I remember, I got two for $10 or so and they work from picking up a small coins to a pair of boots or a tennis ball.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.