Father has cervical spondylosis and I'm worried. Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am not personally dealing with this disease but my father has cervical spondylosis and he is in a lot of pain. What can he do to ease the pain? Or what do you suggest for treatment? Is surgery his best option?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya, smile

Surgery is not always the best option, it will not cure CS, but slows it down, depending on the condtion of the CS and how long the person has suffered, I believe these factors contibute to a successful op. Surgery is not always successful. My brother had the op and it failed, I had the op and it has been a success, in as much as I have feeling back in my hands and arms, I am still in pain and the degeneration will continue.

Your father needs to see a neurosurgeon who is experience is in the field of spinal problems'

A little heat will always help with the pain and relax the tense muscles. Some sufferers have had success wtih a tens machine for the pain, if you look through the rumminations thread there is some good advice there, hope this helps.

Take Care

Emxx smile

• Posted

Try alternate medicines like ayurveda. It works.

I have Cervical spondylosis and i just pay about 80 pounds for my medicines for the whole month. They are siddha and ayurveda medicines which are made of plant herbs which dont have any side effects and i have been pain free in 2 months though i have to continue for 9 months atleast to be cured. This comes along with a particulaer form of diet.

So my suggestion is that you need to also look out for alternate methods than trying fusion or medicines which dont work at all.

• Posted

[quote:8898688995=\"RajfromIndia \"]Try alternate medicines like ayurveda. It works.

I have Cervical spondylosis and i just pay about 80 pounds for my medicines for the whole month. They are siddha and ayurveda medicines which are made of plant herbs which dont have any side effects and i have been pain free in 2 months though i have to continue for 9 months atleast to be [b:8898688995]cured.[/b:8898688995] This comes along with a particulaer form of diet.

So my suggestion is that you need to also look out for alternate methods than trying fusion or medicines which dont work at all.[/quote:8898688995]

Hiya Raj smile

Using the word 'cured' is an unfair comment, unless your meds can actually alter bone structure, then I'm afraid 'cure' is the wrong word to use. Are you saying that that the alt meds are relieving the pain for you?

I never knock anything until I've tried it, what I object to, is giving people false hope for a 'cure.

I hope your alt meds continue work work for you . Good Luck

Emxx smile

• Posted

Hi Aunty Em,

I agree with you the bone structure cannot be altered. Many patients here have had fusion with a surgical removal of prolapsed disc. But they complain of pain after that..why? Now the nerve does not get compressed as they have a brand new disc..but still they suffer with pain? why?

The reason is that the nerve compression is not the only reason for the pain. There is something called inflammation which has to be cured.

There are medicines which reduces inflammation and opens up the nerve so that blood flow is not blocked. That is cure. There will be no pain once you acheive it where the vata, pitta and kapha components in your body gets balanced as per ayurveda.

1). Bones never touch each other in the human body.

2). Even modern science has established that cartilages at the edges of bones do not touch.

So the concept of wear and tear is not soemthing ayurveda or siddha agrees with. So if you are getting a disc operation done you are just breaking your back because that is not the cure according to me.

Right now i am free of pain within 2 to 3 months and i am gonna take my medicines for atleast 9 months. I consider myself cured if i am free of pain and if i can turn my neck around like before and do my work.

I am just reiterating this because this is my concept of cure.

• Posted

[quote:fa52699a61=\"RajFromIndia \"]Hi Aunty Em,

I agree with you the bone structure cannot be altered. Many patients here have had fusion with a surgical removal of prolapsed disc. But they complain of pain after that..why? Now the nerve does not get compressed as they have a brand new disc..but still they suffer with pain? why?

The reason is that the nerve compression is not the only reason for the pain. There is something called inflammation which has to be cured.

There are medicines which reduces inflammation and opens up the nerve so that blood flow is not blocked. That is cure. There will be no pain once you acheive it where the vata, pitta and kapha components in your body gets balanced as per ayurveda.

1). Bones never touch each other in the human body.

2). Even modern science has established that cartilages at the edges of bones do not touch.

So the concept of wear and tear is not soemthing ayurveda or siddha agrees with. So if you are getting a disc operation done you are just breaking your back because that is not the cure according to me.

Right now i am free of pain within 2 to 3 months and i am gonna take my medicines for atleast 9 months. I consider myself cured if i am free of pain and if i can turn my neck around like before and do my work.

I am just reiterating this because this is my concept of cure.[/quote:fa52699a61]

Hiya Raj, smile

Aah, I believe what you are saying is that the alt meds can 'cure' the inflammation and pain, (and from my limited knowledge inflammation is different to pain??) That is sligtly different form saying you are cured, CS is a degenerative condition which worsens slowly over time.

My Neurosurgeon explained to this to me: \"Depending how long the nerves have been compressed depends on how good a recovery the patient makes\" ie. less pain, less inflammation. Which I can testify to, my brother on the other hand has not recovered at all from his op. I had compression, stenosis for 18 months, my brother had compression, stenosis. and osteophytes for 18 years.

I aLso believe from reading bona fide reports that there are different levels of CS, this is where I bring Gerry into it, Gerry has CS but has no compression or osteophytes as far as I know ( please correct me Gerry he manages his CS with OTC products and self help techniques, now no matter what meds I took of techniques I did before my nothing help, nothing. I consider I now have my life back to some degree, but I'll never be cured.

Raj, did you ever have dizzy spells. lose feeling in hour hands and arms, have myelopathy??

Take Care

Emxx smile

• Posted

Hi Aunty Em,

I am not a doctor but let me just tell you what i know.

1) modern science is based on germ theory and spondylosis is not caused by germs. So do you think they have medicines to cure it?

2) The real cause is inflammtion and to answer your question it is inflammtion which causes pain.

3) There is no medicine to cure inflammtion. But if chemicals are taken it increases in long term. This is why i did not go for chemical medicines which i feel will be a temporary relief and not permanant.

4) There are people whose bone xrays have resulted in normal after a few years of diet and taking proper medicines.

You migh call it cervical spondylosis...a fancy name..but the fact is ..it is just arthritis...you have to remove arthritis and bone degeration will automatically stop. If you remove inflammtion there will be no pain.

So how to remove arthritis. It is just a metablic disorder in ayurveda. Get you metabolism right and your arthritis will dissapear over time.

There is a yogi's diet for it and i dont wanna waste my time talkin about it smile

The doctor i go to is not a surgeon. He is a doctgor whose family tradition is siddha medicines. They dont consider this spondylosis but just arthritis which can be cured. There are many rhemethoid arthritis patients who modern science could not cure have been cured and thousands of cervical spondylosis patients have been cured after taking his medicines and following his diet. But there is no guarentee given for patients who have already had surgery but for a few fortunate people it has worked. They have not had any pain over years and their health has improved since then. These kind of doctors just dont come out into the limelight like those big surgeons but you need to understand that whatever your surgeon told is not always right and big things can happen over in small places smile

By the way i had severe pain in my shoulders and left hand. In the x-ray the c5-c6 looks compressed and there were osteophytes.Fortunately i am allright now.

• Posted

Been watching this one progress. I've read books on Ayurveda therapies and the problems I encounter are these:

Firstly, it requires a whole new belief system..you must believe it works. This is also true for Chinese Herbal treatments and Homeopathic therapies. Of course, if you believe something it will help, if nothing else, with a positive attitude.

Secondly, as with these other therapies, the medications are untested, to a large degree, and any claims for them are hearsay. This is not to say they are worse or better than Western meds. But they might be either.

Thirdly, one could assume a belief in Ayurveda, spend years learning the therapies and taking the meds and end up disappointed. I've already assumed this negative attitude towards Western therapies, so why would I want to waste more time on an obscure belief system that may or may not work. I'm sure most claims made on it's behalf are made by those with a vested interest or those who just feel better because they have chosen to believe it works. Maybe, I can get a better result by thinking for myself, adjusting my environment to ease the problem and not spend my time gorgeing on even more obscure meds than the ones I have already rejected. The promise of a cure, through taking some exotic medications, is pure fantasy. We're not dealing with a stomache upset here. It's a mechanical problem which needs a mechanic...not a chef!

No offence, but in one of your earlier posts you mentioned you have 9 months therapy to complete. Yet in your last post you claimed to be cured.

Have I lost all concept of time here?

• Posted

hi gerry, its nice to see you back in form you always manage to put it all into perspective. i read the previous posting and was amazed this man could beleive his own hype. apparently cs isnt recognised as a real problem, they should try being us for aweek or so they woud soon know. if it was only arthritis we woldnt be affected so early in life and in so many ways. i objected at his dismissal of what we go through, that it is only the inflamation, tha causes the pain or am i wrong, most likely as you and em seem to have a better grasp on these things.
  • Posted

Hi Gerry,

When i said 9 months therapy..that means i have to take medicines for 9 months to be cured. When i said i was cured in 2 months ...i meant..it is been 2 to 3 months since i started taking medicines and i dont feel any pain or problem any longer.This makes me happy and say i was cured because being painless and able to do my work like before is my concept of cure as i mentioned in my earlier post.I AM JUST POSTING MY EXPERINCES HERE AND WHAT I KNOW AND UNDERSTAND.I AM NOT SELLLING ANY PRODUCT HERE..i'll make that clear..we are just having a discussion here...

The problem is that many of you here are just not ready to believe that anyone in this world managed to get out of CS with or without surgery.

I am not talking out of a medical journal..i am talking my experiences..

And another post mentions they dont believe it is just arthritis. Look above to see where topic \"Cervical Spoindylosis\" is under smile

It is just that western system does not believe inflammation can be a disease. Tell me which disease dosent have inflammtion

Arthritis – inflammation in the joints

sinusitis-inflammation in the sinus

spondylities-inflammation in Vertebrae

I have read many posts which says when they were on a particular diet they did not experience pain and if they had some other kind of food they experienced pain. How do you explain that. Your bone structure hasnt changed and your nerve is compressed 24/7 but still pain comes and goes based on inflammtion. So inflammtion is the main cause here.

Once again..i am here to talk about my experiences and listen to yours. We all have the same problem..so let us respect each others views and try to learn from our experiences.

Please feel free to point out where i am wrong so that i can correct myself

• Posted

Ok. I fully understand anybody trying out old or new therapies. Any investigation is a good thing in trying to achieve results. I'm doing the same myself, only I don't have a name for it. I fully agree that the inflammation is causing the referred pains and aches, stiff neck, headaches etc,...but the inflammation is not caused by the inflammation. It is caused by damaged vertebrae. As I see it, the way to stop or limit the aggravation to the surrounding tissue and lessen the subsequent inflammation is to learn how to manage neck posture, in all situations, by trial and error if neccessary and to learn how to manage our environment to suit the condition. It has always seemed strange to me that I don;t experience much pain at the actual point of the damaged vertebrae. Makes me think that the neck is over-protecting itself with muscle stressing and, possibly, inflammation, resulting in all sorts of peripheral aches. I see a repetitive cycle of symptoms occuring which might become more manageable through knowledge. After all, we are our own best assessors of this problem....nobody who just learns about it in training will ever be as good at assessing it. If someone else thinks that taking herbal medicines can achieve a better result....fine. No problems there and good luck and I will always be glad to read your postings .....as long as I don't think you are insisting your discovery is the only way and all else is a waste of time.

We all know that c/s is a degenerative disease, in the sense that the damaged vertebrae cannot, as far as I know, be fully repaired with the current medical skills and for someone to insist they have found a \"cure\" might just insult our communal intelligence. Also, c/s is highly unusual in the manner in which it comes and goes, with some of us, and you should take into account this aspect of the condition when assessing your own symptoms, before claiming a 'cure'. We're a sceptical bunch

• Posted

Hi Gerry,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I will not claim \"cured\" if that makes everyone happy smile i will just say i am pain free.

I will take this therapy for 9 months. After 9 months i wil obviously stop taking the medicines. After that if i am living without pain for the rest of my life i will consider myself cured. I will definetly post here and tell you guys about it if it happens and i am sure there will be a lot of critics which i love smile

Just to give you guys more details about the medication which i am under.

Many here feel it is ayurvedic, but i can say it is partially ayurvedic and mostly home made capsules.

I take 13 capsules a day. 5 morning, 3 afternoon and 5 night. There is only one ayurvedic capusule which is probably availible in the market as a brand. But rest are his own medicines which they make using the herbs from the forest. I will tell you what he said. He told me the vertebrae is designed to carry the head weight and very strong. There is one capsule of his which he told me was the cure while the rest of them just support it. The capsule he told does something like widening of the blocked nerve and he told me that was the cure. The rest of the medicines probably cures inflammtion and stops degeneration and dissolves osteophytes.

Please give your comments on it. Can widening of the blocked nerve be a cure? The bone structure will be the same but you will not have any pain and can do your work without any problems once the compressed nerve becomes allright. What do you say Gerry?

• Posted

Hi,

Just a quick response (I might elaborate later). Watching National Geographic Cannel on tv is about as close as I'm ever going to get to appreciating the art of wild herb cultivation in a sub-tropical forest. I just hope the snakes don't get your guru before the next harvest! Then you'll really be buggered :shock: ....who else knows the secret ingredients????.

Also, you mention 'widening of the blocked nerve'. I'm assuming here that you mean widening of the nerve canal as it exits the spinal column. This would indeed be the answer...if it were possible. I'm inclined to think that it's more a matter of easing the stress and inflammation on the surrounding tissue so that the nerve canal is interfered with as little as possible. The claim that the nerve canal or conduit can be widened is dubious and begs the question...where's the evidence?

You know, I wouldn't be surprised to be told that an, as yet, undiscovered tribe of Amazonian natives have been using some ancient wisdom to blend the droppings of a constipated paraqueet with leaves of the forest (YUM YUM) and have rendered c/s into the bowels of history. Irrational beliefs are readily nurtured in isolated communities. Perhaps their revered shaman convinced them they had c/s in the first place, just so he could take the credit for devising a 'cure'. The easiest and most abused con trick of all. Might try it myself!

• Posted

ps...I'll just add that I think Western practices also have a tendency to fall back on fantasy remedies when confronted with medical enigmas. The real geniuses of medical innovation...Lister, Pasteur, Flemming etc. are few and far between and most of them made their discoveries by accident and used themselves as guinea pigs! The simple answers to major problems usually derives from discarding accepted principles and allowing ourselves to think afresh.
  • Posted

Yes, i was also thinking that opening up the blocked nerve and curing inflammtion to the maximum extent is probably the best or closest cure to CS. I am hoping these medicines just does the same to me smile

I hope nothing happens to the guru...i still need those medicines for a few months smile i have high hopes of getting rid of my problem here. Wish the guru a long life.

Thanks everyone for your invaluable suggestions and ideas. Enjoyed talking to you all. Hope you all get well soon. My best wishes with you all.

In case you need to mail me, my id would be

[i:9dff8a8be6][b:9dff8a8be6][color=green:9dff8a8be6][size=9:9dff8a8be6](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, a postal address and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/size:9dff8a8be6][/color:9dff8a8be6][/b:9dff8a8be6][/i:9dff8a8be6]

• Posted

Very interesting conversation as i see this progress. I would wanna try this stuff for a few months to see if it works. Is there a way i can get hold of those medicines. Can you please send it across ok check email please

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.