Fatty Liver

Posted , 8 users are following.

After an abdominal ultrasound I was told I have a bit of a fatty liver. I've lost 40 pounds since then and I'm trying to eat healthier. The doctor told me to eat healthy but didn't tell me what to eat. Please help. I have cut out sugary drinks, soda, juice, and even Starbucks which I used to love. I drink nothing but water and every once in awhile a Powerade. I'm on a PPI for acid reflux and I have health anxiety. Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Personally I would consider that a side effect of the PPI might be affecting the liver. Technical studies indicate they can do that eg UC San Diego Health paper just 3 months I ago.

There are more natural methods to deal with acid reflux instead including diet - as part of a more holistic approach. For example, the Gluten Free Society states that gluten removal should replace medications such as PPIs which themselves can cause other problems.

Generally docs treat symptoms rather than underlying causes eg PPIs for AR, something else for (subsequent) liver problems......etc.

It may be encouraging that your doc has at least mentioned diet (though they aren't currently trained on nutrition). If you want to stick with him rather than take the holistic route, maybe you could take advantage of that.

Keep us posted and good luck.

• Posted

I just started talking the PPI but yeah I will definitely check into that after my scope they think I also have an ulcer so they are hoping the PPI helps with that as well. I want to take as little medication as possible. That's my goal.

• Posted

I wish there was more information on foods to avoid and foods to eat if you have a fatty liver but I haven't had any luck sadly especially as I don't need to lose weight. good luck

• Posted

Hi Kim

With a fatty liver you need to cut out fat more than anything. Eg biscuits, cakes and to much chocolate.  I have the same problem and its the fats , yes and the sugar as well which turns to fat. Ive been advised to take the milk thistle herb, i take in tablet form and as suggested it could well be the PPI affecting your liver and a good idea to start of the day with squeezed lemon juice as well. Ive given up gluten and sugar to for other reasons. Do you find you feel nauseated as well with this. Probiotics is also good for the digestive track and i take the slippery elm capsules which soothes the insides as well. Like you suffer from anxiety which i think aggravates things even more.  

Sue 

• Posted

I've been eating a lot of fruit and veggies. I have ate a lot of salad the last few days. I have cut out most junk food. I drink nothing but water. I'm working on it. I am going to try and get off the PPI after I have this upper GI scope next week. I'm hoping it helps.

• Posted

I don't only eat salad I do have a sunday roast but just eat chicken and I use rapseed oil and not lard or fat during the week I mainly eat fish or homemade soups. I have stopped eating cakes and sweets or anything processed not that I ate much processed, im hoping that this will help. 

• Posted

Good luck Kim let us know how you get on. I am also cutting out fat and sugar as much as possible from my diet I do take cod liver oil capsules every day and I will ask my gp whether I should also cut out these from my diet as well but as usual suspect that he wont know.
    • Posted

I'm already tired of salad and drinking plain water but I'm determined to make it work. I need to start exercising again as well. I'm not sure about the cod liver oil and I don't get many answers when asking about supplements either.

• Posted

As i said Kim milk thistle, probiotics and slippery elm, slippery elm coat and protect the digestive system, Milk thistle supports the liver and probiotics also put healthy bacteria back into the gut.

Sue 

• Posted

Jeannine Im taking super strength 3000 mg, 2 daily. tablets. Had to take this years ago in liquid form as drops when i had a gall bladder that was really making me ill, was going yellow and vomiting, pain as well. Homeopathic recommended this along with vitamin E and  Ferr phos  tissue salts. results i was cured and canceled my surgery.! Milk thistle  is recommended for  liver problems as it contains Silymarin. True most gps wont acknowledge such remedy's , The surgeon with the gall bladder  laughed at me and said that wont do you any good, but a few weeks later the pain had gone,the yellow in my eyes and face had gone. Scan reveled i was no longer bad enough for surgery! 

What Is Milk Thistle Used For?

Milk thistle is sometimes used as a natural treatment for liver problems. These liver problems include cirrhosisjaundicehepatitis, and gallbladder disorders.

My Kinesilogy lady recommended i take the milk thistle again, so i am, Will keep you informed of the outcome, having to keep of fatty food as well. Awful nausea im getting, especially in the mornings. Had to give ip gluten as well, plus sugar, i only make my gluten free chocolate muffins with total sweet  sugar alternative made from xylitol.  

Hope this helps

Susan 

• Posted

Jeannine sent you an in deth reply but moderator declined to send, blow, i should have copied and sent to you as a pm! Usually i remember to do so rolleyes
    • Posted

I really want to start messaging with someone.  Can you reply via messenger?  
    • Posted

Looks like my reply was sent through in the end, Thank you!
    • Posted

I was advised to cut out the cod liver oil when i had fatty liver problems and also coconut oil as not good for an already inflamed liver apparently. 
    • Posted

Oh dear I take cod liver oil every day as I thought it was good I will check with my consultant next time I see her

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.