Fatty Liver

Posted , 8 users are following.

After an abdominal ultrasound I was told I have a bit of a fatty liver. I've lost 40 pounds since then and I'm trying to eat healthier. The doctor told me to eat healthy but didn't tell me what to eat. Please help. I have cut out sugary drinks, soda, juice, and even Starbucks which I used to love. I drink nothing but water and every once in awhile a Powerade. I'm on a PPI for acid reflux and I have health anxiety. Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Probiotics are good, but milk thistle isn't even supported by most liver doctors. 

• Posted

I was on ppi Anson longer need them after dietary changes cutting out all sweetners reducing meat I eat and drinking at least a pint water with one lemon squeezed into it daily as this reduced body acid. Weight loss helps too
  • Posted

For many people, a low-carbohydrate diet helps with fatty liver disease.  There is a lot of misinformation about how to effectively follow a low-carb diet.  I personally recommend avoiding anything sweet for a week.  This will be uncomfortable for the first few days but your body will adjust and the sugar cravings will subside quickly.  The most difficult part is avoiding sugar in all of its forms.  Avoid anything made with flour, all fruit, juices, sodas and anything starchy.  Unfortunately, many artificial sweeteners have dextrose, maltodextrose and other ingredients that mimic sugar in your body.  In order to break your "sugar" addiction your need to avoid all foods that trigger your body to create a surge of insulin.  The best way to learn about this is to Google "glycemic index" and look at several lists until you start to get a feel of which foods should be avoided.  Another way to look at it is this, you can eat all the fat you want, eat moderate amounts of protein and make sure that the only carbohydrates you eat are vegetables.  Once you break the addiction to sugar and you are starting to lose weight, start adding fresh fruit back into your diet.  Avoid fruit juice because it has the same negative effect as sodas.  Here is a list of helpful books on fatty liver disease https://nofattyliver.com/ultimate-fatty-liver-book-guide/

• Posted

thank you for that information I really do need help with what I should and shouldn't eat lots of conflicting information out there. I don't eat sugar in any form including cakes and pastries. I cook everything from scratch, I don't eat read meat but do eat pitta bread and still im concerned im doing something wrong. I am well within the BMI range and I don't and never have drank alcohol just one of the unlucky ones I suppose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.