fear

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have always enjoyed the outdoors, working in the yard, going for hikes in the woods. Last night my husband and I were talking about when I am healed going to one of my favorite places to hike, all of a sudden I got a flash of twisting my ankle and panic sat in. I could feel my heart start to race and my palms got sweaty. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Leelee 

im not sure but I think a full range of emotions is warranted. I still have fear when I go by bathroom where I slipped in tub. Have not been in tub since. If we recognize our fear and trauma and acknowledge it, I feel this helps me. This injury for me is not even close to being over and I'm adjusting to my new normal. Not crazy about it but trying to accept it for what it is. I think you talking about it helps too.... Take good care 👣

• Posted

Thanks Jannie, you may be right. I have a long way to go before I can even think about hiking, still non weight bearing. I should have plenty of time to work thru my fear.
    • Posted

I'm working thru mine daily too....I even take a few homeopathic remedies to help me wth this. I'm not even close too waking but working hard on it each day. I try to look at my small incremental changes to encourage me. Got up in my walker this week and took 10 steps trying to do each day even though my foot feels very wierd. We're going get there.....we have to keep visualizing walking, running, hiking and one day we're going be there!!! Take good care, and keep on 👣
  • Posted

I too have been very active with work, hobbies and a demanding family, that was prior to my injury. I can't imagine being back to normal as its 5 months ago, that said, up to Christmas I had improved from wheelchair, to 2 crutches, to 1 crutch, to nothing and back at work doing 10 hours a day mostly on my feet. I still have unsettled sleep wondering about my future, work, socially and hobbies. I would assume that you are experiencing similar issues and have flashbacks to your accident. I slipped getting out of the shower but had my second bath since my injury, my attitude is that it won't beat me but was still apprehensive. I would say to go to your favorite place to visit just for your body to accept, it may feel strange, you may well get a panic attack but you can't  give up or you will never get back to having your hobby. It will be hard but you need to let your body know that you are the boss, it will take time, just keep visiting your places of interest, it will gradually get better
    • Posted

Thank you! Yes, I do have flashbacks of my fall. I don't like being afraid and I will take your advice as soon as I can. I know I have to work through this fear, but right now it is very overwhelming.
  • Posted

Hi Lee !

YES ! Yes! Yes ! Nearly all the time. I too was one for long walks etc and always keeping fit. I watch every step I take now and sometimes don't want to venture out for fear of falling. I had someone ask me to go cycling and the fear of falling of the bike was shocking. It's called a panic attack I would think. My life has totally changed. I HEAR YOU. Hugs

• Posted

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I thought I was losing my mind.
    • Posted

Well, things are going from bad to worse. As if this isn't hard enough, I found out yesterday that I no longer have a job. Did they tell me? No, I had to hear it through the grapevine. Then I asked a friend who is also a manager and she told me that an email went out on the 20th. So, I get hurt because of their negligence and they make it up to me by firing me, but not telling me. My depression just hit bottom.
    • Posted

I am really sorry to hear of your bad news, how disgusting they are to sack you and do this via another person. Did you have a contract of employment as is the case in Uk? Is there any legal channel that you can investigate in order to take these people to court to claim unfair dismissal? 
    • Posted

No, basically there isn't anything that I can do. Indiana is considered an employment at will state. They don't have to have a reason to let you go. I am not surprised, I knew the minute my ankle snapped that this would happen, but I didn't think I would hear it through the grapevine. I am more hurt by that than anything.
    • Posted

These people are disgraceful, the fact that as you say, you have worked for them a long time and been loyal.

unfortunately, been honest and loyal also means nothing to employers here in Uk, as they can replace you immediately. 

There are laws to protect the employee though in the Uk.

I have worked for a major car hire car company for 11 years, otherwise I think they would have replaced me with the many agency staff we have, mainly from Poland, Romania and Bulgaria! I am not surprised that you feel depressed and hurt, not knowing when you will be fit enough to return to work, then to have to search for a new vacancy and attend interviews which is stressful in itself. Is there a state benefit in the Us that you can claim?

• Posted

Oh Leelee so sorry to hear of this. Do you not have Wrongful Dismisal as in Canada?  I can't believe they could do such a sneaky thing, I would challenge them on the email front but then adding stress is not good for you. I truly pray something good is going to come to you.....
    • Posted

Right now I am Workmans Comp, but when the doctor says I am able to go back to work I can apply for unemployment, bit that isn't guaranteed.
    • Posted

Omg. I thought I had a bad deal, I only got £88.45 (Statutory.Sick.Pay) a week from my employer. It was difficult which is why I returned to work, even though not fit and still not. I really do hope that you get something sorted out and quickly pal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.