Fed up !!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,I'm just having a moan,completely fed up with having diarrhoea all the time and still losing blood occasionally,my consultant wants me to carry on for another two weeks, why !!! Does anybody know of anything I can eat which would help me with my diarrhoea, ( to firm it up ) I was diagnosed with divertaticilis one year ago,have had two flare ups but this is by far the worst,and I am so tired,had a blood test for anemia still waiting for results,thanks for listening.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is it the antibotocs causing the dirreah  or is that auto for you when it gets infected? probotocs and pedylite help a lot with dirreach and bananas, rice and other foods. Anything high in iron and whole milk and cheese can be binding.
  • Posted

Hi there patricia,i had terrible diarrhoea and my doctor prescribes Fybogel and it worked great,where do you live as it has different names depending on the country you live.
    • Posted

Hello Yvonne,thanks for tip,I am in U.K.so will go to chemist see the pharmacist and maybe buy some,does it make you constipated.?
    • Posted

No it just regulates you ,keeps your stool soft so no straining which you don't want ,introduce it slowly over a few days but you must drink plenty of water,I take it morning and night right after food ,you could get a little wind at 1st but once your body gets used to the increase in fiber you will be fine ,be patient and give it a few days.Hope it works for you as it did me.

• Posted

Thank you Yvonne,I am certainly going to give it a go.I will let you know how I am doing in a few days time.🙋🏼

• Posted

Hello Yvonne,I went to see about taking Fybogel to help with my diarrhoea but the pharmacist said it would not help me,so here I am back with my diarrhoea,(most people seem to have constipation ) I still don't know what to do now !!! Wonder if my soft diet is to blame for diarrhoea.

• Posted

Add some dairy like whole cheese and are whole milk and foods high in iron and bananas these should firm solid bowel movement.
    • Posted

I really dont understand why the pharmacist said that ,i had terrible diarrhoea and it stopped mine in a few days as prescribed by my doctor,I take it all the time,its a totally natural product as its made from  ispaghula husk,unless there is another reason for your diarrhoea other than diverticular disease.
    • Posted

Hi,I am getting really fed up and a bit down,don't seem to get any help from so called professionals.😩😢must try and get to see consultant in few weeks time,if he can be bothered. X

• Posted

I suspect the pharmacist did not understand the full picture.  Something like immodium or kaolin based products are what are normally given just for the runs, but Fybogel is more for treating the bowel as a whole, with the effect that it bulks and thickens stools, as it is a soluble fibre supplement.  I too am prescribed Fybogel by my GP for controlling my bowels, but you can also get it online or over the counter.  It does result in several bowel movements a day - in my case 4 to 6 but they are soft and bulky, not the runs.

If you are still passing the odd amount of blood, and the consultant wants you to carry on for a couple more weeks, it suggests to me there is still some infection.  If you are taking antibiotics or any other medications, they may also be affecting your bowels.  I take a couple of scrambled eggs as I find they help to bind.  Soft bland food like mash, steamed fish, meal replacement drinks will give you some of the essential minerals and vitamins.  One word of caution - have you been told to stay off fibre for the time being to give your bowels a chance to rest and heal?  If so perhaps wait to try a fibre supplement.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix for this disease, and it does take time and patience, particularly where you still have infection.  It seems like things will never get better, but slowly they do.  I have read posts on here where people are in despair, but then gradually report improvements.  after a flare, I was in pain from August to December, and still get niggles and the occasional runs.  But I learned to cope - I've had this disease for 15+ years now.  So please keep positive and hopeful

• Posted

Hello Felicia,many thanks for your most informative reply,although I am on certain days feeling quite ill it seems that there are a lot worse than myself ! I have Stayed of fibre for at least 5weeks eating all the above items you have mentioned  Imodium is all I have been given but even that has no affect,so that is why l thought I would give Fybogel a go ! But a little afraid to start it on my own.i am not on any antibiotics,but do take Buscopan for the pain,which does help,I do get a bleed about once a day.once again thank for your reply.
    • Posted

Hi Patricia

Yes, I think you probably do need to see your Consultant agan, and mention you are still bleeding after all these weeks.  It could be polyps or continuing infection, but I would try and push for further examination.  I have had bleeding in the past, but nothing that lasted so long.  Like you I think other people seem a lot worse, but in the throes of a flare, and with the worry, that is bad enough.  The NHS is pretty useless about this condition.  My Consultant didn't even bother to see me, just sent a letter to my GP saying the condition was "benign".  I bet she has never been left rolling on the ground in agony, or sitting on the loo every hour!

• Posted

Patricia , I have blood too , is yours bleeding from having a colonoscopy or from the diverticulitis?
    • Posted

Felina, was you diagnosed by Ct scan or colonoscopy? I've heard some doctors give that diagnosis without even tested. I was diagnosed through CTScan with contrast. Felinia can you share what you may have like for breakfast and other meals like what and how much or how many meals a day you have and is it okay to drink high protein boost ? Have you ever had any blood with yours? Have you had the surgery is why you have had it 15 years? I trying to deal with this but it's so hard like yesterday I had went to bathroom pass kinda wet gas and when I wiped there was pinkish blood scares me the day before I had drinked glass of prune juice and was in bathroom with the watery runs all day and wiped so much with toilet paper my bottom became raw . I have some bottom itching the last few weeks I do NOT scratch but use Tucks. Going to bathroom scarys me do bad because scared of bleeding 🙁I am in constant panic to the point of tormenting fear any info and help would greatly me appreciated right now on soft diet , I am drinking at least 8 - 8 ounces of water a day plus other drinks like tea or juice No sodas . The other day with I had the runs all day the next day I had no bowel movement at all can that happen ?

• Posted

Hi Patricia, I was diagnosed with diverticular disease nearly 3 years ago and like you had blood in my stool but my GP gave me a Calprotectin (stool) test which showed massive inflammation indicating Collitis. I was given anti inflammatory drugs which helped a lot but think most of my symptoms are due to the diverticular probs. Once again my GP was the most help and said latest research showed stored, dried food is implicated in the diarrhoea. So I had to stop eating rice, pasta, cereals and porridge and find I can avoid big flare ups by being careful with my diet and eating small meals often. I also avoid peas and tomatoes but eat plenty of green veg when I am not having a flare up.I also take a probiotic daily and drink lots of water. I can take fresh pasta without side effects but not the usual dried pasta. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I like you take a probiotic and started drinking more water. I never heard of the store dried food but will try it.
    • Posted

Hi,I had a colonoscopy one year ago,there was some bleeding,but nothing like now ! It all cleared up. I had a flare up later on in the year but it didn't last long. But this one has lasted so long ! Pain and bleeding so much more this time.😩

• Posted

Hi

Diagnosed initially 15 years ago with Sigmoidoscopy and Barium Enema.  Rediagnosed last October with partial Colonoscopy followed by a CT Scan.  I've not had surgery - in the UK it is the last resort although it was once mentioned to me.

At the moment breakfast will be sloppy porridge (20gm, 3/4oz) made with water(120ml, 5 fl oz) and a little bit of skimmed milk powder, or yogurt, or scrambled eggs with mashed baked beans.  Lunch is always 250ml (10 fl oz) home made soup, or soft fruit like mashed banana or melon with yogurt, plus a probiotic drink.  Dinner is normally mashed potato (120gm, 5oz), or rice (3oz uncooked), with grilled chicken breast (3oz, 75gm) or steamed fish (4oz, 100gm), plus vegetable puree (tonight is squash and spinach).  I normally have a fat free yogurt for pudding.  So fairly small portions to not overload my tummy.  I also drink 12 fl oz water with Fybogel every morning and some evenings, plus 8 mugs of decaf tea a day.  I've never heard of high protein boost.

I do get days when I have the runs and am very gassy.  I also keep a supply of Drapolene (a nappy rash cream) and wash after each movement if possible, and apply the cream.  The cream is great as it prevents itching and soreness.  My father used it for many years for his piles!

This is a difficult disease because of the constant changes in bowel movements, which most people seem to get.  One day pellets, the next chocolate milkshake!  As for the bleeding, I have worked out that mine occurs when I have the runs now, and is because I have rubbed myself raw with loo paper.  Also explosive runs can sometimes cause tiny tears - I've had that too.  So what you are experiencing, whilst very unpleasant, is what can happen and many on this forum have reported similar.  Also the more you worry and stress, the more likely your bowels will become upset - it's a viscious circle really.  It's amazing that worry causes actual physical symptoms.  As a girl I used to worry myself physically sick before each exam.  It may help you to remember what my doctor told me - Diverticulitis almost never becomes cancerous, which is what I suspect may be concerning you.  Do you have access to stress management classes or relaxation techniques, as these might help?  I have had days when I just curl up with pain killers and a hot water bottle, but I do try and get on with life.  Best wishes.

• Posted

No excess to stress places. Have u ever goten sweaty feeling and naseated with this? You never had the bloody muscus when wiping after bowel movement? The other day I had runs all day got sore bottom from wiping so much and the next day no bowel movement at all then today I strain a little to see if I could have a little bowel movement very little came out but when wiping it was that strecthy elestic stuff with mixed blood has that ever happened to you are anyone else reading this? Of course Im losing weight because of limited eating and the naseated feeling, the metamucil drops my blood sugar and the prune juice gassy me something awful cramps my stomach and runs, the benfiber caused cramping achy but not moved the bowels and that  Fybogel ius like metamucil. 

• Posted

I sent two replies and when I click to send it says its been moderated before they send it have no ideal why or if they ever resend now I lost all I typed
    • Posted

None of this mentions bloody mucos discharge or blood:

SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic StaffThe signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:

Pain, which may be constant and persist for several days. Pain is usually felt in the lower left side of the abdomen, but may occur on the right, especially in people of Asian descent.

Nausea and vomiting.

Fever.

Abdominal tenderness.

Constipation or, less commonly, diarrhea.

• Posted

My pain which sent me to ER was right in the middle below my belly button like deep hard labor pains which they did the CTSCAN which showed the diverticulisis and elevate white blood cell count little over 11,000 but they say the pain is always on the lower left? Or with some can be on lower right wonder why mine was  below the belly button but in the middle lower stomach? 
    • Posted

What anti inflammatory drugs did they give you, my PA mention mine could be collitis but won't know until my coloscopy on March 22 . Eribaeve did you ever get the bloody elastic mucos mixed when you wiped after a bowel mmovement or passing wind? Why did you stop the oatmeal? 

• Posted

Mine was also in the lower  middle.
    • Posted

I am on Asacol  1600mg daily (4 doses) which is mesalazine, a non steroidal  anti inflammatory drug and this seems to be my maintenance dose. I don't eat porridge because it is a dried and stored food which my doctor said is implicated and anytime I try it, I get a response.other dried foods I avoid are rice and pasta which is a shame as I used to eat a lot of them. I haven't had any blood for a long time and muccous was never a big problem although I did have a little. My diet is pretty boring these days. I am very careful to avoid constipation so take lots of vegetables and Laxido ( a mild aperient and stool softener) which my Dr prescribes. Much better now than when I was first diagnosed although I do get the odd bad event after a big meal. 

• Posted

Sorry for asking the same thing again I just saw this. Thank you for replying and helping me on this.
    • Posted

Do you have to be on the Asacol 1600mgs 4 doses a day for life?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.