Fed up 5 mnths on!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi i posted on here lots just after my tkr and havent done for a while now but to be honest am totaly fed up! Any help gratelly appreciated! I feel like im going slowly round the bend.

Iv struggled walking and stil cant walk a distance now! I am unaided and dont get me wrong have come a massively long way! But when i pass people at work i havent seen for a while i get the same response all the time. Because im limping so badly they always cant believe iv had knee op in feb! They always tell me i should be walking better by now! Its soul destroying im stil doing my exercises and strengthening my knee but it feels so awkward and stiff i cant walk any better i concentrate on heal toe technique bending knee etc wil i evei walk any better! Sad face!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Debbie

Oh yes knee shaming I'm well aware of this practice. My boss is telling me about some imaginary friend that had bilateral knee replacement that was playing 18 holes in six weeks. I call BS come to ding out his surg

• Posted

Debbie

Sorry cut off. come to find out his surgeries were three years apart. Mine done the same time.He says I should be completely healed I think when he has both his knees done same time he can get back to me. I am 5 months post op.

• Posted

I'm 4 months out bilateral and think I'm doing pretty good. PT told me I was doing as well or better than most single tkr so I say unless you've been there... keep advise and opinions to yourself!

• Posted

First and most important you are you....not someone else. You are getting these stupid comments from people that have never gone through it and don't have even a foggy idea what it entails. The picture I always paint is this.....you had a leg nearly cut off....bone chisled and sawed, nerves damaged, a four pound foreign object made of steel and plastic inserted forceably and then glided in place then damaged ligaments, tendons and other assorted soft tissue areas sewn back into place. Less the 24 hours later you were forced out of bed and made to stand on that mass of pain. What do you expect from someone that's gone through that kind of mess. You won't really own that new object for a year or so. Just a guess, you have pushed the heck out of recovery and now you are paying the price. Start resting every available minute you can with your leg elevated. Make sure the surf egg on has carefully xrayed and examined the joint and is sure its tracking properly. Continue basic excercises just don't push yourself into more pain. Don't be afraid to ice when you have a chance .....hydrate at all times as dried out tissue just doesn't have elasticity to stretch and heal like fully hydrated tissue.......lastly ....either politely or straight out, tell your body go workers to go to hell. If they aren't going to help you just stay out of your way while you go about healing. You're the one who's going to have to live with this, not them. Good luck

• Posted

AWESOME post as usual!🙌😊😁🙌

You give us ALL a boost!

Thank you!😳

• Posted

Well put! I tend to forget all those surgical details when I'm frustrated.

• Posted

Spot on sir. I get these remarks too about how other people had no problems with recovery to throwing down crutches before leaving hospital. Come on give us a break. . It's the toughest procedure and recovery I've ever experienced 11 weeks post op still not sleeping. Roll on recovery in full to all of us, ??

• Posted

I so needed to hear this.and be reminded that i am still healing...thanks for your very well worded reply!! We all need patience and needed it yesterday!
    • Posted

Thanks for saying it how it is your right! Sounds major putting it like that as i know it was! I feel like writing what you have said down and reading it to anyone who makes me feel put down! You have made a valid point about pushing recovery i wil rest more! When i can. Thanks so much it helps massively! Keep up the encouraging comments ha ha!
  • Posted

Can you walk in a pool? That will help with the transition. Don't give up. Tell the doctor you want more physical therapy.

• Posted

Hello Debbie, I'm sorry to hear your frustation.

I'm on my 51/5 week. I have a lot inflamationand, swelling and I can not bend my knee over 75. The therapist is working on lowing the inflammation. That's her priority with me. Where are you now? What week?

• Posted

You are not alone. I too had my tkr in Feb and feel the same. Still can't come down the stairs. Am still stiff and still hurts a little below the back of the knee. Am stiffer after icing and still swell all the time. I heard it could take a year but don't let people depress you. Everyone heals in their own time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.