Fed up of IBS but now a Diverticulitis sufferer!

Posted , 32 users are following.

When I think back I suppose I've always had problems with my bowel. I remember, as a child, mum giving me sugar water to help me with my constipation. (not that I really think it helped). :!:

Having had my appendix removed as a teenager, then having three children and suffering from IBS for the last 20yrs. I find myself at the age of 46 being told I have Diverticulitis.

I was rushed into hospital this week, after suffering from recurrent diarrhoea for 10days, followed by vomiting and then passing blood from the bowel.

They sent me home with antibiotics and a goodbye message of, 'Sorry, there is nothing we can do for diverticulitis!' :x

I've taken the last week off work as I've been unable to move away from the bathroom.

I'm feeling a little fed up now with my lifelong tummy problems and praying that things will calm down soon.

I would love to hear how others cope with this condition. :D

Many thanks xx

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I suffer from Diverticulitis and have ever since I had a partial hysterectomy. At first after this surgery I became ver I'll with the issues of left lower pain. Chills, and nausea. At first I didn't understand what was happening to me and made frequent visits to the emergency room. I suffer from anxiety and when I feeling fear with this excruciating pain I have attacks. At this present time I have gone to my regular doctor he has prescribed to me Flagyl, and Ciprpfloxacin and yesterday when I took it I thre everything up. Today I took these medicines and it tastes so horrible but I know in order to feel better and get relief I have to take it. This is a long process of getting better. I'm thinking if I can't keep those liquids down I may have no choice but to go to the hospital.
  • Posted

Wow!  I finally found a group of "youngish" people who have Diverticulosis that seem to affect them!  I had my first bout of diverticulitis when I was in my early 30's and I am now 49 and have had an every increasing number of episodes every year with this last year being the most frequent.  Finally had my second colonoscopy and it looks like the amount of Diverticuli have increased with the lastest results showing exactly where I have had the most pain this year in the sigmoid colon (years before it was in other parts of the my colon).  Anyhow, has anyone else tracted the number and noticed the number increasing?  Also, has anyone else who is female been diagnosed with Adenomyosis of the Unterus?  I am trying to see if there is a possible connection as these two things sound so familiar but drs say they are totally unrelated.  They are both "pockets" in organs that have formed in the tissue to bulge out from the organ itself.  It might just be a total coincidence but if there are others out there like me, I'd like to know how unusual it is.  My grandfather had diverticulosis and diverticultis quite often, so I know it ran in my family. I was too young to know that I had it at and would deal with it later and he is no longer with us (died in late 80's so this did not kill him :-))  Thank you all for sharing your stories.  I know the pain and suffering of an episode....the body aches and pain, the bloating.  It is not fun and the medications of Cipro and flaxile (not sure if I spelled the right) are so horrible that I would rather suffer but then you fear a rupture.  Anyhow, I feel for all of you and hope that we can all find some answers.

• Posted

Try drinking peppermint tea in the morning and before going to bed.

Also forget cold water, drink warm water before eating and after eating wait for one hour

They help cleaned out your bowel, and digestive system. I'm sorry you have been suffering for so long

Try avoid those caffeine and sugar which cause acidity.

Probably try taking magesium before going to bed.

Also did you go to Holland & Barrett

They have colon cleanse, aloe Vera juice and peppermint capsules etc it's worth a try!

Hope you find something that cure your diverticulitis

• Posted

Thank you! It really is just about managing the condition to avoid an episode, so I'm willing to give all these things a try.

• Posted

No worries! I have been trying them all they work wonder! Especially drinking warm water(mineral water) done amazing job!

Hope it works for you Xx

• Posted

I'm so glad I've found this because I'm having a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks for this. I'm sure that I have diverticultis since reading all of this. I've been following a high fibre nearly veggie diet for a few weeks and am definitely a bit better. I started this before the diagnosis because I'm trying to lose weight which I did at first. Now I'm not losing any more and my nutritionist thinks its because I have a low metabolism due to an underactive thryroid. I'm wondering though if anyone else has this problem who also has diverticulitis?

Or could it be the divertulitis slwoing everything up?

Thanks.

• Posted

I found out that I have a mild case of Diverticulitis and IBS

I now take a probiotic and it's really helping me.

• Posted

Hi

I have suffered with severe ibs for years and one night last night I started with horrendous stomach pain diarrhoea and then I started losing blood from my back passage, I was admitted straight into hospital and told I had an infection in my blood which was poisoning me and after a scan was diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I was hooked up to antibiotics and went home after three nights with antibiotics. Over the last few weeks my ibs flare ups seem to be getting worse wherever I go I have to be in running distance of a toilet it's truly horrible cause I don't get no warning. I wasn't told much about diverticulitis at all so I only know what I've read online.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.