Fed up of IBS but now a Diverticulitis sufferer!

Posted , 32 users are following.

When I think back I suppose I've always had problems with my bowel. I remember, as a child, mum giving me sugar water to help me with my constipation. (not that I really think it helped). :!:

Having had my appendix removed as a teenager, then having three children and suffering from IBS for the last 20yrs. I find myself at the age of 46 being told I have Diverticulitis.

I was rushed into hospital this week, after suffering from recurrent diarrhoea for 10days, followed by vomiting and then passing blood from the bowel.

They sent me home with antibiotics and a goodbye message of, 'Sorry, there is nothing we can do for diverticulitis!' :x

I've taken the last week off work as I've been unable to move away from the bathroom.

I'm feeling a little fed up now with my lifelong tummy problems and praying that things will calm down soon.

I would love to hear how others cope with this condition. :D

Many thanks xx

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I turned 19 on August 1st and on August 8th I got to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy (That's what everyone wants for their birthday...right?) and then in the following two weeks I had an upper and lower ct and small bowel follow through. It was concluded that I had IBS and my doctor put me on dicyclomine and a very strict diet (no fatty meat, no red meat, no raw vegetables, no spicy anything, no chewing gum, no carbonation, and no alcohol) he also suggested that I eat activia yogurt because on top of all of this I am already lactose intolerant, however activia has the enzymes added into the yogurt so it doesn't cause any issues and last but not least, he has me take fiber like the kind that dissolves in water. Everything was going well and seemed to be managed. I moved from Wisconsin to Florida at the end of August and fast forward to just 2 months later and I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis as well! So now add some more pills to my daily routine and remove a few more foods from my diet (no nuts or seeds (which knocks out any berries or fruit with lots of seeds) and no raw fish (but I love sushi!! sad ) and I also have to avoid doing abdomen workouts until I'm a little better.

I am on a meal plan for school so about 90% of my meals come from a cafeteria where no one understands why I can't eat most of the food that is perceived as "healthy" and instead I continually opt for bare sandwiches and rice or noodles. Let me tell yall, I feel you on being FED UP! Dealing with this jazz at what is supposedly the most fun time of your life and when you are supposed to be the most fit and active you'll ever be is pretty hard to do when your insides don't work! But all in all, the seemingly excessive diet restrictions definitely help a lot. Hope this helps and I hope we all get better!!

• Posted

Hi All,

Just found this site and read a few, and I have to say it sounds familiar. I have been suffering for about ten years now with it being diagnosed as diverticulitis this past four years. It took a while for the GPs to actually take me seriously about the pain I was in. Anyway, after four sigmoudoscopies and a CT scan and a good consultant who knows the condition, I am on Octasa tablets. Six a day. They have certainly eased the condition but I still get the cramps before I need to visit the loo. I do agree that stress is a big big factor on the condition and diet is also a factor. Dont have too much alcohol either. Ginger may also help but you have to find out what suits you in the long run. I also take fiborgel each day to help bulk. Do ask your GPs about Octasa as this has hepled me a great deal.

• Posted

I suffer from IBS and Diverticular Disease. There has recently been a lot of talk about Probiotics in the treatment of both.Kings College Hospital ( mentioned by someone else here) has done a full scale study into its use for IBS using a probiotic called Symprove. It was extremely helpful. However ( irony of ironies) it was ONLY available to patients taking part in the research.Otherwise impossible to get via NHS. It is extremely expensive at around £70 a month. The hospital is in the process of nrecruiting for a similar piece of research- this time with Diverticular Disease sufferers.Although the outcome is as yet unknown it seems doubtful they would be doing it if they didn't think it could work. Not a cure of course,but in terms of managing symptoms and possibly preventing acute attacks. Recently a rigorous piece of research was published (the details of which I have unhelpfully lost) concerning probiotics. The only two that reach the gut and work are Symprove and VSL3. The latter is about £40 a month. I'm sure if you searched you could find the research. I was told at Kings College Hospital that probiotics in yoghurts and so on are a complete waste if time- too small amount wise,and not effectively carried to the gut. VSL3 is available to some patients on the NHS. You are more likely to get it through the hospital than through your GP,although some practises will prescribe it. I tried Symprove,and now take VSL3 which I find works best. Yes,it's a huge amount of money.It's no quick fix,either. It will take 6 months of continual use before you will know whether it helps you. If you have antibiotics they will knock out all the good the SSymprove or VSL3 have done as antibiotics don't of course discriminate between good and bad bacteria. This regime combined with sensible eating and finding out your own particular triggers foodwise can help make you significantly more comfortable. Repopylaring the gut with good bacteria from one of these probiotics may 
  • Posted

Apologies- pressed a wrong key.Can't read what I had written ad awaiting checking on the site,so will attempt to pick up where I left off. Now also some research regarding wheat. Yes,I hear you say, popular mythology.That's what I thought,but there is substantially more evidence in conventional medicine - if you can find someone knowledgeable. Again,if it works for you it will take 6 months or so before you really know,and unlike the increasingly strong evidence for the use of probiotics,it is undoubtedly a wild card. When I've committed to not eating it I feel immeasurably better.The problem is I fall off the wagon.The first few weeks are pretty miserable,but strangely if you can keep it up it does get much easier. I have also tried Aloe Vera,ginger,fennel, Manuka honey etc etc. They certainly,make me feel like I'm at least trying,but my jury is out as to whether they work or are just comforters,along sithe essential hot water bottle. Hope this helps. I don't normally post on forums,but cane across this today and simply wanted to share what I've learnt. It's a horrible condition,and my consultant says there is very little teal understanding of it.As with so many health conditions,much more stringent researchis needed,but lack of funding is a barrier. If you can possibly find the funding do try the pfobiotic route.I'm not out of the woods,but diet and currently VSL3 have undoubtedly been the best help in making me comfortable on a day to day basis. Good luck everyone.
  • Posted

My story is like most of you. I am 54. Decades with IBS and now suspected Diverticulitis. It is extremely painful. I liken it to severe back pain from a sprained muscle. For the abdominal pain, it feels like an internal explosioon of my very swollen/infected bowel cells. Like sharp stabs of pain when they burst.

I thought it was female issues but I don't have the parts anymore! I had adenomyosis and cysts removed for decades too.

the problem is that you have to use completely different diets for IBS versus diverticulitis. I just don't even know what to do and not do anymore. 

I also get mouth sores though. And lately, I have been thinking that both issues may very well have to do with a food allergy. They say that the mouth sores are common for food allergies. I have yet to be tested for food allergies because of poor insurance and costs involved in allergy testing for foods. However, if it can cause such pain and sores in my mouth, then why couldn't it also be causing this new set of problems in my digestive tract? (Maybe a research doctor could look into this eh?)

If I remember, I will keep you posted...if I learn anything helpful. I am due for a CT scan next week and see a surgeon about the divertisulitis. I also plan to be tested for food allergies once I switch insurances throuigh the marketplace in January.

I am sure sorry that we have to suffer all of this. I wonder if going back to non-processed foods would make a difference for our children and grandchildren?

God bless

• Posted

Hi Wynnie,  Interesting about your Mouth sores, Diverticulitis and Adenomyosis.  Pardon my prying but do you also have or have you had cystic acne as well?  I have read all the other posts and yours is the only one where you seem to have had adenomyosis and I am trying to find out if there is a link.  Seems I also have flairs of a bit of simple arthritis, too.  I am wondering if it is an unusual connective tissue disease or inflamitory disease...but what do I know.  Doctors cant even see a relationship but it doesn't hurt to ask questions, right?!

• Posted

Hello Don't know if you still log in to this forum as your post is old.  I was curious to read that you say you need 2 differents types of diet for IBS and Diverticular Disease.  I kow that some IBS folk do better with lower fibre diet ffurit and veg as opposed to high fibre bread and cereals but thought that with diverticular you need high fibre.  I have IBS Constipation and have been diagnosed with diverticular following a recent colonoscopy.  Would be interested it in further details.  At the moment I take fybogel/mebeverine once a day but am worried about reducing fibre or stopping the fybogel in case the constipation takes hold again.

• Posted

Hi, I have been reading the posts, and have been recently diagnosed with dirviticulitis. I have invested in a nutri bullet, and have to say it has helped. However, when I am at work, I worry about what to eat and drink. I haven't lost weight through it, but have days where I can't eat and feel so sick and still perservere and go to work. I found mebeverine doesn't work for me. 

• Posted

Hi Dargene

I am also 54 and have just recently been diagnosed with Diverticulitis. Pain started about 3 weeks ago and like yourself, it is extreme to the point where I have been sitting up all night in an armchair with a hot water bottle placed against my left abdomen, taking painkillers just so I can catch a couple of hours sleep at intervals. I too tought I was having female problems as I suffer from menorrhagia (abnormally heavy menstrual bleeding) and ovarian cysts. Have had an ultrasound to confirm unusual thickening of the uterus but wasn't aware of the diverticulitis until I had a CT scan a couple of days ago. I was shocked as I am a non-smoker, do not drink alcohol and have always tried to follow a fairy healthy eating plan. My main problem has been never drinking enough water, so wonder if this has had a major impact in the long run..

I am halfway through a course of antibiotics and am expected to return to my full-time job next week but feel I am not ready to do so as I am still in pain and constant nausea, so unable to eat much except salted crackers and fluids.

I guess I will just continue with fluids and light diet until the pain subsides, but after 3 weeks am totally fed up. Sometimes think the doctors are at a loss to advise what plan of action to take but sure hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. Yes I do agree that most food products are highly processed and we probably consume far too many take-away meals, and sometimes we find ourselves making the wrong choices when we are time poor. My daughter is a health junky (latest fad) and I often find her cooking her meal preps in the kitchen when I come home from work at night and can't be bothered waiting around for her to clear out before starting our meal so dart out for a quick fix meal instead.

If I knew it would impact this badly on my health I would have thought twice.

Anyway, we have to deal with things as lift throws them our way.

I hope you find the root cause to your problems and overcome them.

If anyone out there could provide any helpful info on how to get through this painful first stage of diverticulitis, would be most appreciated as I am thinking about giving up my day job so that I can concentrate on getting my health issues sorted.

many thanks

regards

Charlotte

• Posted

Charlotte: I completely understand what you're going through. I just got over my worst bout of diverticulitis. What has helped me is taking Metamucil or a store brand of the same. It has the fiber that you need and you are also getting liquid/water which you need as well. I usually mix it with more water than it calls for. Try to keep a bottle or glass of water with you too. Don't take too much pain meds because they can constipate you. It's a hard juggling act with those issues. God bless.

• Posted

I think you will find there are many of us who suffer from Diverticular disease. I am one of them too. I decided rather than concentrate on the disease I decided to try help my condition and it seems to be working. First of all it is diet. Do not listen to everyone when they say not to eat nuts and seeds as that is all wrong. You do need to avoid broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, bananas, mangoes and apples. I have also been going to an accupuncturist who is helping me with my condition. I am takeing probiotics under him as well as a herbal treatment which seems to be working. I try to drink at least a litre of water in winter, two in summer and do a little excersice. I have not had an attack in nearly 7 weeks now.

Other people suggested alovera juice and peppermint which I take regularly also. There is help out there for you. Not a cure but there is also a medical treatment you can get if you want to take things further. Sounds gross but anything is worth a try to no longer be in pain or have to go through a bowel operation or end up with a bag. Happy to help with information if needed smile

• Posted

Thanks for the input. Have you ever had trouble with coffee?
    • Posted

Hi. I’ve just been diagnosed with diverticulitis after a week in hospital when I took myself to A&E. severe pain in lower abdomen mainly in lower left side. Years of going to GP and being told it was IBS.   I’m 70 now. I can’t eat walnuts. Sauces with wine and cream.  Fresh peaches and plums. Porridge. Chilliest. Cakes like Christmas pies etc. However before this bout I cd take all bran and green banana in the morning. Fresh fruit juices from Tesco. Nearly everything. No alcohol at all. Very little fresh cream cakes. I also had my yoghurt snd grapes every night after dinner then this happened. Pain out of ten was fourteen.  I was put on a drip. for seven days in hospital as ct scan showed up chronic diverticulitis. I’ve to go back soon for an colonoscopy. I’ve still got a niggle but am constipated. I am on a low fibre diet. Wasn’t given a diet from the hospital but was advised by nurse to eat mashed potatoes chicken and fish. Nothing that feels jaggy in my mouth. I have lost a stone in weight. Have an appointment with dietitian in surgery soon. Hope she can help. Scared to try fibre incase it returns.  

• Posted

Suggest you stay off fibre for the time being until your insides settle down a bit.  However lack of fibre will be contributing to your constipation, I suspect.  You may need a stool softener like Fybogel - but it's best not to get sucked into the vicious circle of laxative/emetic.

Why don't you look up DiviDiners on this forum for eating tips?  I make a lot of my own soup which I blend, and have meal replacement drinks, so I get essential nutrients without being too harsh on my insides.  Boiled white rice and white pasta are also OK, plus plain yogurt without the bits in.  I like vanilla, or coconut and vanilla.  Also another member switched from All Bran to Bran Flakes, as she found All Bran too harsh on her insides, omce she was back on fibre.

There's no quick fix for this disease and it will take weeks or even longer before you feel a lot better.  But you will get there.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks felons. Just blended my home made veg soup to try. Will look on the site u suggested and switch to bran flakes as fed up with Rice Krispies. I’ll take my time as I font think I cd go through that Pain again. 

• Posted

I'd keep off the Bran Flakes for the time being as they contain fibre, until you are ready to re-introduce it.  Weight loss is common at first - less going in!!!  I lost 10 pounds in 8 days, but soon put it back on again.  Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.