feel like i have to make myself breathe

Posted , 16 users are following.

Well hi my anxiety family i was just wondering does anybody else feel like anxiety makes you think you have to make yourself breathe instead of letting it happen automatically ????? My mind is struggling with sooo many things that normal people with out anxiety would not worry about normal and natural things FREAKS me out things before my anxiety i never was scared of all of a sudden im scared of now and it sucks.well i was just venting have a blessed day.

5 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes anxiety can take your breath away sad.

​So can asthma....allergies...etc.  If you keep having the problem...possibly seek medical attention.

• Posted

I spoke to my doctor and all she said was that it was shortness of breath. I'm most definitely not a doctor but I'm sure it's not shortness of breath. I read the anxiety can cause you to feel out of breath (or something like that) because of stress or events that have happened. I've been feeling stressed lately and I've had a not as wonderful pass. I'm just wanted to know if I have anxiety or I'm have health problems.

• Posted

Yes. Anxiety can make everything feel like it's wrong. It loves to trick your mind. Just remember, it is all a bad joke and not true or real. Proof...when you are sleeping or not thinking about breathing, you are still breathing!

The reason things scare you so easily during anxiety is your adrenaline is already on edge and is right there. My thing is absolute fear when a family member comes around the corner and I am not expecting them. This is true when my anxiety is around, but not otherwise.

• Posted

Yeah so true because when im destructed i don't think about my breathing it's when im not doing anything i start to freak out and start to constantly watch my stomach go up and down anxiety sucks
  • Posted

Hi Sergio, I am new to this site but I registered to share my experience with anxiety since I was able to overcome it with almost no medication. My psychiatrist perscribed me Zoloft and I took it for 40-50 days maybe but it didn't help much.

The things that helped me a lot are, for starters, admitting that nothing is physically wrong with me. Then, if you have a panic attack, show yourself that you have guts! Fear is something that you cannot control by logic, it just doesn't understand it. What you have to do is try and turn your attention to something else and not your current condition. It should be like: "Oh come on, this boring thing again." and then continue doing your whatever you were doing at that moment. It is also very important to not be bored during the day! When a person is bored, he tends to overthink some unimportant issues like what will I do with this anxiety, how can I help myself, maybe something is wrong with me physicaly, etc. So try to keep yourself busy and surrounded with people that are positive. Even when you have nothing to do at home, try doing some chores or watching a funny movie. Your breathing problem will then go away since you won't have time to think about breathing, so it will definitely happen automatically. And try not to remind yourself that you had a breathing problem since it will return then. As soon as you forget that you had it, it will go away for good. Another tip and this is not really a good thing but it can help you, stay engaged with other people's affairs since that will lead your mind away from your problems to someone else's.

I thing that this will be helpful, I wish you the best of luck! :D

P.S.  Try to avoid coffee. :D

• Posted

Hey that is really good advice thanks so much i appreciate the good advice but im also scared anxiety will kill me are something and sometimes i feel like im in a dream like unbalanced and sometimes with these crazy symptoms its hard to do things
    • Posted

I also used to believe that, but it just isn't true. It is just a really annoying condition that can screw up your lifestyle. No one died from anxiety. And believe me I had such bad trips such as for example: I thought I was havig a stroke, I fell unconscious a couple of times, I started having arhythmia, and all that went away as soon as I confronted my fears and showed that I am a strong person. The point is knowing that nothing is wrong with you and then braking the habit which is anxiety. When you realize that there is nothing wrong with you physically, then you are left with a habit of feeling unwell. You have to break that habit by doing some of the things I mentioned previously. So you have to label your condition as unimportant and it will disappear quickly! 

Just stay strong m8! :D

• Posted

Thanks your been a great help easeing my mind because i really dont want this anxiety messing up my life anymore so thanks again
  • Posted

Hey honey I get this a lot and sometimes have to yarn to catch breath 
    • Posted

Yes me to it gets on my nerves i hate anxiety soooooo much it freaks me OUT
    • Posted

I too have problems breathing and swallowing. I feel like I have to force both. Just today on the rise home from work I was starting to panic. For no reason of course. I am slowly learning the more you try to fight it the worse it becomes. It started to escalate to more resistant I was but once I started belly breathing and play games such as finding different colored objects as I drove, it started to go away. I'm trying to engage in things other than the anxiety. I'm a work in progress but it did help today.

• Posted

Same, I have to sometimes stop what I'm doing to just take a deep breath. It's been happening more and more lately.

• Posted

i feel you its like your drowning, struggling for air but you can still breath. you just cant feel it. when this happens i usually yawn to get it back on track but that breathing into a brown paper bag trick is true and it does help because your getting the co2 that you need, your brain is thelling you youve had enought thats why it happens so its trys to keep you from getting more but just yawn or breath into the bag those are my trick maybe they could help, idk just a thought, if i you are talking about what i think.
    • Posted

I agree with all of this, I've suffered anxiety one off for many years, when it happens I always feel it's something worse than it is like a physical problem with me.

Recently it's been my breathing, like my lunch are already full and I still want to breath but can't. So annoying and again worrisome...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.