Feel like l.have hut a wall

Posted , 16 users are following.

Well l am now 9 weeks post op for 2nd hip replacement and 1st was done in december. Today l have woke up at 4am wih the hot sweats l used to get right after my ops and pains in both my legs at the hips and down front of my legs.

I thought l waa past that stage and have being doing good. I still get sore backs from time to time and if l have done to much the occasional bad day. But the last few days l have been feeling like l am back at week 3 for both legs. I feel a bit down as l thought by now l would almost be back to normal. But l am far from it. I have been off work since november last year and have just got another doctors line for 2 months. Which is taking me into july. I realise l have had 2 hips replaced and its a lot on my body but sometimes l just feel like l am going backwards instead of forward. I have been off my work so long the thought of going back makes me feel sick although l know l am not ready at the moment to go back. My life has become a routine of not doing much and not seeing many people apart from my family. And l feel all l am hearing is how good they are all doing and how happy they are.

And here is me stuck at home most of time with no life.

If it was not for this forum and my close friend l have met through this forum infact a few friends l have made through this forum l would go off my head. I became friends with sarah at the start and we became really close and thank god for finding her and if course Cels , Renee, Rose and Kate and Graham and the rest of the crewe who l could sit and name but woud be here all day who all became like a second family as l spend most of my days reading and talking on here. I see a lot of people come and go and l think to myself is this because they are bettter and back to there normal life and l am still here getting know where. There is no sign of me leaving or going back to normal for a while. And now l am thinking l have hut a wall. Is it just me thats taking forever ti heal.

I tried to be normal and have a few days in York and thought it was quite an achivment driving 350 miles but it ended in disaster not just because of my legs but the hotel was just not gonna be comfotable enough for me to sleep as l have a set routine in sleeping at home. So l was going to be to tired to do anything and ended up home the next day.

Sorry guys just feeling a bit low today you don't realise how mentally draining it can get at times as well as painful.

Laura xx

6 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Aah Laura 

so sorry you are feeling like this . Wish I could do something to help xxx having your life turned upside down as you have abd being socially isolated is going to contribute to how you are feeling , but some days you will feel better than today , and eventually you will come out of this tunnel even though youve hit a wall at the moment 

big big hugs xxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Oh my dear, so sorry you are feeling this way! You had LOTS of trauma and the hip replacement is brutal -you have xs 2! That said though. I believe it would be ALOT better for you if did things other then sit and read this forum all day every day for 9 weeks! Its not good for your mind and your spirit. A body at rest tends to stayt at rest and the more at rest it is the more muscle you loose,less circulation, less oxygen -and thats to the brain too. Theres ALWAYS things you can do.ALWAYS things you can find to enjoy. Are you walking every day? Are you doing your therapeutic exercises? You can read,and some movies, or theres adult colouring books now,beautiful ones! Do you have a craft or a hobby? Start one! Learn a new language -free o- line w your local library.When you do go out for a walk, stop for coffee,watch nature, birds, people.Make music playlists on youtube, find old songs that you love and sing out loud! Bake,Cook..I had a friend over a few times in the last 71/2 weeks ( my recovery length so far) and we baked bread and tried a couple new recipes.If I may say also-please maybe meditate,and start a journal, just you can discover more about whats going on inside of you emotionally b/c you say you want to get out and be "normal" -yet the thought of going back to work makes you sick now, and you still have 2 more months off,thats major worry right there my dear one! OR Has a part of you come to maybe...appreciate or like this very limited routine of going nowhere,and seeing hardly anyone?  Perhaps you are having some anxiety,and are actually isolating as a result. Again, Please love yourself, nurture yourself and start DOING some stuff! You'll feel way better, I promise! Take care dear one and let us know how you are doing!  
  • Posted

Laura, you have hit one of those plateaus where it just seems like you aren't making progress. Remind yourself of how much bone and soft tissue was cut and how long it takes to truly heal. You still have a long ways to go to full recovery. It's hard to be patient, I know, but it just won't be rushed! Take care.
  • Posted

Good morning darling, 

just checking in with you - -

Yesterday was pretty bad for me too - for no reason - well, the obvious ones, okay ?

Here in Holland we have many "Holidays-days" - paid days off (unlike in the USA)- memorial day yesterday and today we celebrate that the war  (2nd) ended - it is also Ascension day - so everything is closed , schools have their May vacation - Next weekend is Pentacost, Whitsun or I don't know how it is called - 

What I want to say is that there are a lot of people, tourists out here - weather is gorgeous - all happy, walking and bicycling - It made me feel jealous, angry and upset - Last year I was worse of, I know, but I expected to be out and about by now ...after 2 THR surgeries - 

sometimes the only thing to do for me is to just accept that I feel like crap ... that is it - no need to defend myself or find reasons to feel this way - 

we already know, sweetheart - and let's not forget that we also are very grateful -

so  come  here anytime -

But heyho, today is another day - I feel different (for noweek) -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi renee

Thanks for asking for me l am ok just having a bad week. I am going a bit stir crazy being at home yet l have no choice as l am not ready to go back to work and it all depends on weather in scotland. I will snap out it renee. Just waking up in pain in mornings and its weird like l can feel the implants in my legs but once l take painkillers l am ok.

Thanks renee xx

• Posted

Lors,

I have experienced some odd pains this week at work - like a needle being pushed in at the lower end of my scar, that and the aching when I have been sitting on the scar too long.

Currently I don't think this will ever be pain free, but it's an acceptable level of pain, unlike the OA pain before which was totally unacceptable.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Yeah graham l was at gp on tuesdsy because l have been gettìńg a sore feeling from my 1st scar like that and l also thought it was a bit swollen and tendor but gp just said its mucsle thats been cut through and is healing.

I am a bit like you at moment l don't think l will ever be totally pain free but l think in a few months l will be as normal as l am gonna be 😆😀 whatever notmal is ha ha

Laura

• Posted

Hi lors,

Everyone get's bad days, nothing to be ashmed of, I had one yesterday, today I'm feeling more positive,even thinking of going back to work earlier.

If people only posted positive feelings,then that wouldn't be the true story, a problem shared is a problem solved, hopefully anyhow.

Maybe the aches and pains are from your trip, that was one heck of a journey.  But it's not the end of the world, you had two thr, you will feel better later and then you can make your plans to go away and enjoy them, be kind to yourself.

Lynn xx

• Posted

Yeah l am thinking its the long drive 2 days in a row and then the dissapointment of not being able to do it. I have found that l am sleeping more during the day again since that happened. So this could all be it catching up with me. I will be ok.

Thanks for all your support xx

• Posted

Take it easy there girl, you will be fine, just take it one day at a time.

Two very long drives must have been quite a bit for your hip to take.

Graham

• Posted

Indeed you did - I just don't know how you can cope with having two done, at least I have my good old right leg to support me when I get tired, well done to you. cool
  • Posted

Hi Laura

Im sorry you are feeling so low.  It is a blip and it will pass I have no doubt.  I found that the mental thing was a big factor for me. I have suffered for a long time with depression  So I had ots of `'Why did I do this?`' and frustration at  being at home and not getting out.  Family and friends were great initially but then they just expect you to get on with it and stop complaining.  Sometimes I find myself snapping "have you just had your leg cut off and put back on again?"... A bit dramatic I know but sometimes they need reminding that I am still in convalescence.

However I probably fall into the annoying category of people who have recovered very quickly but I am by no means pain free. I am back at work but it is tiring and I only have a 20min commute.  I went back to my aquarobics class last week - which was always quite sedate - and I also swam a few lengths breaststroke (I am 13 weeks so thoight this would be OK- but the next day both my knees ached really badly. As did my arms but I was expecting that. It set me back as my knees hurt for the next 3 days.  However I did go back to the class yesterday and was a bit more sensible and I  went into the sauna afterwards and I am absolutely fine today.  

Where are you in Scotland? I am in Edinburgh. At least the weather's improving :-).

Keep smiling and take care your hear.

best Alison x

• Posted

I am in Lanark but had my hips both done in spire murryfield.

I am only 9 weeks from my second hip replacement l am hoping to go back to work in 4 to 8 weeks at most. Its cause l sit at a desk all day l realise there is no chance of me being able to do that at the moment as sitting is my hardest thing for me any more than 2 hrs l have backpain.but l will have to bit the bulllet and do it in the next month or so.

Laura x

• Posted

Morning Laura

Has your work arranged a workplace assessment for your desk / sitting area ? I think that's essential given your job - a new chair etc could make all the difference to your comfort when you go back. I can see you want to go back but are worried about how you will cope - unsurprisingly ! xxxxx

• Posted

That's a great point.  You must be comfortable Laura.  Great opportunity to sting them for a nice leather executive chair cheesygrin

I'm having my eyes tested this morning and I'm thinking of that machine where you have to lean forward and rest your chin on that thing.  Hope I wonlt be breaking any restrictions eek

Hugs all round Xxx

• Posted

Ooh , yes you do lean forward a bit for that test - make sure you tell them Cels xx
    • Posted

Will do.  I'm thinking if I sit forward on the chair and tuck my legs underneath it should be okay.  It's odd how this operation gets you analysing every movement Xxx
    • Posted

Yes l have a dse assesment as soon as l go back to arrange getting new chair and any other stuff l need to help me be comfortable.

So we will see how it goes l will be going back in small amounts at first build up how long l can do and l might go part time as well. Xx

• Posted

I was in Murrayfield too. Did you hear the monkeys in the evening? A Mr B did mine.  He was very good but I had no pre op discussion with him.

9 weeks post THR is not long at all and given that you have had 2 THRs in close succession means you need extra time to heal. Sitting was the most difficult thing for me too.  I guess the only thing is to make sure you get up and move around regularly. That and a very comfortable chair.  Will you get an OT assessment? Hopefully you can do a phased return to work will that be an option? Boredom overcame me eventually and forced me back to work but it was a phased return.

Alison x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.