Feel worse since quitting drinking

Posted , 11 users are following.

Well, I decided to come back in hopes of some "positive" advice.  I'm 22 days clean.  The first week was actually tolerable.  Since then my days get worse.  I have this lump in my upper chest which is most likely acid reflux.  I've been taking priolosec.  Not helping.  I am lightheaded.  My body is anxious all over.  Pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet.  Have seen my doctor twice.  First we tried valium and then xanax.  Second visit she prescribed a beta blocker to help with anxiety, tremors, high pulse rate.  First night was ok.  Last night I had extreme insomnia, major pins and needles feeling and broke out in a few hives.  For anyone who remembers me - a lot of medications do not agree with me.  I've even tried a few different herbs.  The ones that do seem to agree with me have the opposite effect.  I've tried reading but I can't concentrate.  I've tried meditating (which I plan to utilize again) but I never thought I could feel so bad after 10 days.  I'm totally exhausted.  I push myself through work and then have no energy at all to exercise.  I used to miss quite a lot of time at work and lately I've been showing up as scheduled but today I just couldn't seem to move.  I felt like I had a hangover.  Actually I think a hangover felt better, lol.  Trying to keep a sense of humor and push through this.  I have no cravings at this moment except for wanting to numb this pain for awhile which I know is not an option. Anyone ever feel this awful after 3 weeks??  

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for all your replies.  

I never thought of going to the hospital when I was drinking.  I do feel like going these past few days.  Yes, I felt awful drinking.  I could mask the pain for a bit. Now, it's here full force.  Each time I quit it gets worse.  

No more meds!  

My pulse normally runs 85. Since I quit drinking it's been escalating up to as high as 120.  

Needing to get out of the house today.  

• Posted

Kelly...than I say go to the hospital before you drink.

Nothing wrong in getting squared away mentally and physically.

Cause drinking can't do either of those things sad

• Posted

big, warm hugs...

Alcohol deadens our nervous system, we actually can not feel the true pain sensation.

Perhaps a brisk walk...

• Posted

How is it going bud? Deep breathing will help with your pulse - it can lower it, especially if you go into your own little world by using a relaxation tape and pretending you are at your favourite place, you actually go into a self hypnosis state.  You can get that you don't want to come out of your 'trance' and if you try to lift your arms, they feel like a dead weight.  It slows your body right down and is wonderful for anxiety which you sound like  you have and which I have had for years.

Whatever works for you, but we all will keep adding our little snippits of help and you will hit on something.

G.

• Posted

Hi Kelly - 

Dont know if youre still around this site or not, but I was wondering how youre feeling now. Ive quit drinking before, but never made it past 2 weeks. Im almost at 2 weeks again now. I have bad acid reflux and asthma and neither are getting better since quitting drinking. I was just wondering if youre acid reflux did get better after a certain period of abstinence.

Best Wishes,

Keith

• Posted

Well done Keith for 2 weeks sober. Acid reflux is quite normal and your stomach will take time to settle down. Asthma not certain since I am not a medical person. All the best. Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin - 

Did you also suffer from gastro problems while and after you stopped drinking? If so, how do you handle them? I know Ive had gastritis for a while, no doubt due to my drinking. 

• Posted

Hi Keith. No, I did not suffer but others on this forum or discussion described those symptoms. Medication? My wife used to take tablets but do not know the name . she is asleep and cannot ask her. GP help? Great that you continue and persevere. Your will feel so much better eventually and also PROUD of yourself! Robin
  • Posted

How are you doing? Unfortunately, excessive alcohol use can lead to the development of chronic diseases and other serious problems including: high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, cancer, liver disease, and digestive problems. A comprehensive treatment plan for alcohol dependence should consist of the following components:

Drugs that block the craving for alcohol

Detox medications

Medications that restore liver function and cardiovascular system

Brain enhancing drugs

Psychotherapy

Blood irradiation therapy

Biofeedback Therapy

I would discuss all these with a psychiatrist. 

• Posted

Are you a Doctor Margusha? Good reply for certain. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.