Feeling Awful

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have not had a period for 18 months haven't suffered badly with hot flushes now suffer with urine infections but thats sorted with antibiotics but now I feel at the worse ever constantly have muscle discomfort in my back and stomach and my anxiety is awful even though I am on tablets from the doctor for this I really feel I can't cope with this any longer does anyone have wonderful remedies for this cannot believe they menopause can make you feel so bad.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi sprohop

yes I've heard a lot take those two ! Is the Anxiety just general or about something specific ? I'm just interested to know if the only one who seems to have developed this awful problem ?  I've got like a feeling of doom and gloom and that I can't do things I would normally do ??? Is this how youn feel ?  Debbie x I'm praying that it will go.

• Posted

Hi Debbie my anxiety is about health any ache or pain I think I am dying absolutely ridiculous I know but the anxiety about this at the time makes me feel really ill and no matter how positive I try to be it doesn't helpif this happens in the night then its even worse I just can't believe that menopause could be like this.

amanda x

• Posted

Oh no it's not ridiculous dear.  I felt the same way.  Our bodies are changing and it's like a shock to our system.  You'll be fine...just fine.  These symptoms shall pass like everything in this world changes.  We just need help with vitamins along the journey that's all.  😘 xxoo
    • Posted

Dear hotdot37

hope you don't mind me joining your conversation ? I'm having some bad anxiety issues myself 😢 over really silly things  . . . Like going to appointments. ??? I end up cancelling because I feel unwell over it .. . are you post menopausal and now not got these feelings ? I'm praying that there is light at the end of thee tunnel ?? Hugs Debbie x

• Posted

Greetings Debbie...the more the merrier 💃💃. I have fatigue now.  Feel very sluggish and very tired in the evenings so feel 99.  I had vertigo for 6 months which went away and now fatigue which is better than vertigo.  It will be over soon I hope.  The symptoms noticeably only started 6 months ago. I take the B vitamins and the one is good for vertigo among other symtoms during perimenopause.  It will pass eventually. Walking and drinking Lotsa water is good.  Bye bye dear xxx I am even calling everyone dear which is an old age phrase waaaaaaa
  • Posted

Hi dear hope all is well.  I used to have urine infections a lot.  I make sure to drink lotsa plain cold water each day and that helps to keep the body fluid up cause we dry up at this time. My mouth, my hair, my skin, my you know what.  It's awful 😃😃
  • Posted

Hi Sprohop, just some words of support really and to let you know you are not alone. I am 49 and have never posted on a health forum before becoming perimenopausal as I'm just so overwhelmed with the symptoms (especially this year).

I think what's so hard for women like us is being able to accept that the menopause could feel THIS bad. I also have a problem with health anxiety (though not when I'm feeling well!) and have found it SO hard recently to accept my symptoms are peri. I've had a number of symptoms over the years but have managed them for the most part with magnesium, Bvits and progesterone cream, but these last few months have hit hard with extreme anxiety, panic attacks, depression and a myriad of other physical symptoms i.e.: aching hips, aching upper back and ribs, acid reflux, indigiestion, daily nausea, IBS, loss of appetite, weight loss, adrenalin surges, vertigo, night sweats and sleep disturbance, hot and cold flushes, shakiness, you name it.

This has triggered huge anxiety and in the last couple of months I've had the following tests:  3 full blood counts, CRP (inflammation marker blood test), Vit blood tests, blood function tests of liver, kidneys, pancreas and bones, stool tests, upper and lower abdominal ultrasounds, abdominal CT scan, gastroscopy, colonoscopy, and a capsule endoscopy of entire digestive tract. All of these tests were ALL CLEAR but I am still suffering these crazy symptoms and the anxiety is driving me to search for more and more obscure illnesses. It has affeted my whole life and I just can't seem to snap myself back to who I was before (a busy, happy, fun loving person). The doctors have said it's probably a combination of anxiety. peri, and a post-viral type illness?? But they just don't really know.

Like you, and many other women, it's so hard to believe this can be 'just hormones' and yet the more I read women's stories and the longer this goes on the more convinced I am that it must be.

You're not alone, love and hugs.

Ruthie x

• Posted

Hi Rutie,

your post almost most made me cry ! I'm 48 and feel exactly the same as you sweetheart ! I feel like I will never be me again ? I feel like I just exist from one day to the next, not really sure how I got there.  I'm 48 and my symtoms stated approx 8 years ago with awful dizziness 😢 looking back I had no idea it could be peri menopause ? I even had an MRI scan because I felt sure there must be something seriously wrong . .  . Thnak god it came back clear.  I also take Magnesium and a liquid iron and B12, I think I should maybe take a higher dosage of the B12 ? My worst symptom is also the awful anxiety ! I get so uptight even getting my hair done ! Seems crazy to me that this is my reality . .  . I have had to get mediacation to help me, something I never thought I would do.

just wanted to thank you for writing your post as I can really relate to it.

love and hugs

Debbie x

• Posted

Thankyou Ruthie it has made a world of difference joining this group I am on sertralne for the anxiety and this used to help but not anymore like you when I am well I have no anxiety about health but when I am not well like the dreaded urine infections my anxiety runs overtime this then links to anxiety over finances cause if I cant work I can't pay the bills and so it goes on. I also suffer with terrible muscle aches lower back, stomach, legs the list goes on, heart burn, loss appetite etc etc I really thought I was going mad untill I read about everyone else.

love ang hugs

amanda xx

• Posted

Hi ladies 

it gets better .. I did 10 year peri with vits and supplements, which i still take, no HRT for me, i am now age 50 and 16 months post meno, feeling sooooo much better now, still get a blip day but all is good most of the time.

The anxiety for me kicked in, in the final year of peri and now its gone..

B6 150mg daily for me helped no end ..

positive mind and not dwelling on it helps too..

we cant prevent it so we have to learn to live with it and get our minds on other things and when we feel abit off, take note of what your body says. do what you can those days, but dont give in, positivity is the key

jay x

• Posted

Hi Debbie, yes we have to hold on to the hope that we will emerge from all this one day - wake up one morning, feel 'normal' and think "What was all that about?!!"

I just never realised anxiety was such a huge symptom of peri but it clearly is. From what I've read, the hormone fluctuations trigger the adrenalin/fight or flight response. I've suffered anxiety off and on through my life but this is different, it's like a random switch goes on shooting adrenalin through my body, sometimes regardless of whether I'm stressed or not. I think that's the worst part because you can't predict it at all and so it makes you dread just every day tasks.

It's funny you should mention getting your hair done because mine needs doing and I just keep putting it off. I never did relish sitting in the hairdresser's for an hour or so but now the prospect feels like having to wait on a bed of nails! And I know when I get one of these adrenalin rushes there is every chance I will want to flee the building in a panic attack with my hair wet!!

I've been prescribed anti-depressants (never taken them before in my life) which I haven't started yet because I've had such bad nausea and couldn't face the side effects. I have started St John's Wort though (just over a week now) and I really believe it has improved my mood which was becoming seriously depressed. No side effects yet either.My gp has also prescribed valium (agin, first time ever), just 2mg as and when I need it. This can help a bit (and relaxes my ibs too) but it also confirms to me that this anxiety isn't like 'normal' anxiety because even after taking a valium and meditating, I can still have an adrenalin rush with my stomach somersaulting etc and I swear it is a hormonal surge that then triggers even more anxiety and leaves me super senstitised to more attacks.

It's so important to know we are not alone in this. Thanks for posting.

Ruthie x

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I've been prescribed Sertraline but haven't started it yet. I was dreading the side effects so have started St Johns Wort instead and see how that goes. How did you get on with the Sertraline?

Yes, the anxieties lead on one from the other and snowball. I've had to stop nearly all of my work and cancelled lots of things lately because of physical symptoms and anxiety.

How long have you had your symptoms?

Ruthie x

• Posted

Hallelujah Jay! Thank you. My mother had her last period when she was 50 so I'm really hoping this will not go on too much longer (I'm 49 1/2!). I think the anxiety is the worst part.

I've never been on the pill or taken HRT. I had a hard time sometimes wiht heavy, painful periods and pmt but at least there was a pattern to it and I knew what to expect. But now, I feel like a stranger in my own body!

What was your worst symptom?

Ruthie x

• Posted

Be careful with st johns wort, they say it should only be used for short periods of time, it was banned in France as interacts with other medicines.

jay x

• Posted

Ruthie

it was a long road with a ten year peri.

but the worst time was the time of the 12 months no periods ( reaching post menopause) i never had anxiety or been emotional, but for the first 6 months  of the 12 month no period phase it hit me, i would feel like everyone disliked me, worthless, useless, doom, fear, etc, would suddenly cry, take things to heart, lost my ability to say what i really think, 😃

but now, i am fine, strong, level headed, brain fog gone, and fatigue almost gone, but B6 helped this, and my B12 ..

doc gave me antidepressants which went in the bin, i said i am not depressed it menopause anxiety and i worked through it with out, started my 150mg B6 and two weeks later felt amazing.

since i have had a well women check,scan, etc etc and i am confirmed post meno, shown ovaries on screen, non functioning, no follicles, thinned uterine lining, as the post meno gets longer,  Now 16 months, i feel even better, more energy, etc .. but i still take several vits and supplements and always will..

jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay, that's great! It's so encouraging to hear that it does get better when meno finally kicks in. You must be so relieved! Well done!

Yes, the fatigue and doom and gloom feelings - never known anything like it. I've never taken anti-depressants either and would rather not (thus the St John's Wort) but I guess it just depends how desperate I get! They do help for some people.

Thanks Jay, you are a ray of hope for us!

• Posted

Hi Ruthie

let us know how the st johns works for you.. 😃 good luck hun

i am not in UK i am in Southern Spain are you in UK 

jay x

• Posted

Ruthie I would definitely recommend sertraline I have been on it for 2.5 years its not addictive and the only side effect I had was diarrhea 1st thing in the morning for the 1st week or so it made me feel normal I am still taking it but think I need a stronger dose which I am trying to avoid as I do think your body must get used to taking medicines over a prolonged period x
    • Posted

I think I had a short Peri about 3 years which wasn't to bad so thought yay I've come out the other side alls fine but no after 14months in full menopause its hell this had been going on forthe last 4 months sad
    • Posted

Hello Ruthie,

Thank you you for your reply sweetheart 😊 after reading your message I feel I could have written it myself ! I also have Valium 2mg on a as needed basis, I was scared to take it at first, but it worked very well so I'm glad I did.

Running out the hairdressers with wet hair if something I imagined happening to me ! I completely understand where your coming from with that one ! Have you considered a mobile hairdresser ? You might feel more comfortable in your own home ? Really enjoyed talking to you.

Debbie x you can always private message me if you would like to chat more.

• Posted

Hi spro

So are you 14 months post menopause do you mean? 

( 14 months since last period) 

Jay x

• Posted

Hi 

Your similar to me then, i am 16 months post meno 😀 age 50 .

Sorry to hear you dont feel so good.

I did take me a few months after post meno, to feel more settled, running on low hormones, so to speak. 

I had severe flushes return in summer which shocked me but that was down to excessive spanish summer heat and post meno phase .( hot flush is how we cool in meno phase) plus low hormones are said to confuse the body by causing flushes etc.

I did a natural but long peri .. 

i have a B12 injection for me that boosts my energy every two weeks so been not too bad. I find if i let good diet dip then the blip days begin. 

Eating good things little and often for me kept the dizzy spells at bay 

Have a nice weekend 

Jay x

• Posted

Jay I had a relatively short  natural and easy peri so thought I had got off easy but am now paying the price was told by the nurse at my doctors this can go on for a good few years I am 55  have started taking vitamin B so hoping this will help.x
    • Posted

Hi sweetie

Yes i hope the B6 helps we do lack it menopause i put a discussion on here about it  and how it helps anxiety, dizzy spells etc its fab, my doc gave me B6 in early peri a strong one he prescribed so its good to boost up on B6 

Have a good day hun

Jay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.