Feeling awful...is it menopause?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi  I'm 53 and had my last period 3 years ago.  I've had hot flushes for 4 years but nothing major.  For the last 2 months I've been feeling awful....headaches, dizzy, feeling spaced out, no energy, hot flushes getting worse, cold flushes, nausea.....Could this be the menopause that is causing me to feel so ill?  I don't take any medication.  Thanks for reading x

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi jeudi yes it's sounds very much like the menapause. I had the same symptoms plus many more. I'm how on hrt patches which are helping xx

• Posted

Thank you for replying.  It helps to know Im not going mad.  I forgot to add heart palpitations and feeling sick.  I'm waiting for blood test results before my GP will prescribe HRT. x

• Posted

I would say so Jeudi!  Spaced ou &  imbalance are two major factors for me not forgetting the sudden onset of sheer tiredness.  I'm 8/9 years in and still get it but have learned to not panic about it just go with it it soon passed till next onset arises.  Anxiety! If you didn't have it before then these symptoms will certainly bring it on.... you just got to educate yourself and read all there is about menopause.  This group is amazing btw so stay with us and keep talking & sharing to help others get through this nightmare.  Big hugs to you xx

• Posted

Trevis,

I just read your post and seen where you said you have been going through this for 8/9 years???? I have only been going through it for 5 years and was hoping things would get better.  Do you still have the hot flashes / night sweats as bad as the beginning?  Does any of it get better????

Glad there are some seasoned women on this sight to to help all of us just starting this awful journey.

• Posted

Thanks for replying .  I am feeling quite nervous and jittery, can't settle to anything. x

• Posted

Yes Connie it does get better??...symptoms do reduce and anxiety although still raises its ugly head it does lesson.  I believe my hell over the years brought in my anxiety.... to the point where I couldn't function.  Over the last 3 years I have seen a huge improvement and I just Bite its arse right back when it tries to stop me doing or going anywhere.  The imbalance I accept as part of this journey and nothing ever comes if it but mixed with anxiety can cause such misery.  I just got so angry with it all I started to challenge myself even if it was just to walk the dog! I just did it..... those who have it bad will know what I'm talking about .....  I've lost out in so much I won't let it take anymore from me.  Good days and bad but it's so much better & I will win 👍🏻😉??

• Posted

Thank you for the words of encouragement, every little bit helps.  I don't feel much of the anxiety, it's more the depression, mood swings, hot /night sweats that really get me down and just feeling lost.  I went through a divorce 5 years ago and my ex told me it was because of menopause.  I think it attributed to it somewhat but there was other issues too. 

Nice to know that it does get better.  Talked to my doctor last year and she said some women can go through menopause till very late in life or forever.  I sure hope that's not the case.  Some days I feel like I am loosing my mind.  I can't focus at work, cry at everything, just want to hide and never come out again.

And now, on top of everything, I am struggling with my weight for the first time in 10 years.  I have always been in shape, but I just can't seem to loose the weight around my mid section and thighs.  I think a lot of my depression comes from this.  Use to be so easy to loose weight, now I have to watch everything I eat.

Thank you for being here for all of us that are struggling and letting us know that there is hope.  Just take it one day at a time.confused

• Posted

Your day sounds like my day.  The struggle is real.  Yes, it ebbs and flows.  But from what I have read, if you suffer from depression/anxiety prior to "the change", the symptoms worsen during menopause.  I cannot take hormone replacement therapy, due to a history of breast cancer in my family.  Increased my paxil to 40 mg and take ativan for the rough days (not to mention, wine).  I have been "fine" (a relative term) for awhile, but everything kicked in last week.  Just praying that things will revert to a happier place, soon.  But, as my self help books say, this requires work.  Which is hard, when you don't even want to get out of bed and meet your obligations.  

• Posted

That's it Connie one day at a time.  Remember.. nothing stays the same.... it may go on for a while but it will get better.  I'm sorry you been through so much .. let it make you stronger & how ever hard you stay positive because you are strong.  Be kind to yourself at this important time in your life.  Do what you want & if you don't feel up to something then just don't do it.  Lovely to talk with you Connie & thank you for your input also ... helping each other goes a long way for us all. X🙋

• Posted

Hi Connie, I have been going through it as long as you have 5 years..it does get better darling I'm not like I use to be when I first started I'm still getting hot it seems to cool down ever so often and come back..it will get better with time or each passing year always remember it's the menopause and not a illness to kill us,upwards and onwards Hugs

• Posted

Part of it is probably menopause but it can also be related to a (viral) infection. Give it 2 weeks and if things dont improve, you may have to resort to treatment for menopause.Do bio-identical HRT if you decide to go the hormonal route. 
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply.  I have had a tooth abscess that was left for a few weeks before my dentist finally removed the tooth.  I put my feeling ill down to that but now I think it must be something else. X
  • Posted

Jeudi, 

I thought I breezed through menopause, I never even had hot flashes and night sweats.  For me, it was several years in before I started feeling poorly.  What's important to remember is that even when our periods stop, we are still producing some estrogen.  Some women who stop having periods, if tested, still have estradiol levels of 50 pg/ml.  But over time it declines.  It took years for my body to get to the point where vaginal atrophy//dryness and painful sex was a problem.   And yes, I am trying some bioidentical hormone replacement.  

So could this be menopause, yes.  The lack of these sex steroids effects all other hormone systems in our bodies.   

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Yes I thought I was coping quite well, but I think it's hitting me now. Just feel so unwell. Am waiting results of blood tests before going down HRT route x

• Posted

Jeidi,

It might be interesting for all of us to hear about your tests when they come in.    (Hope that's not being too snoopy)  But it's interesting to see another woman who did well to start meno, and then a few years later experienced problems.  This fits me to a tea.  

When I had my levels run my estradiol was down to <15 pg/ml. Progesterone 0.7 ng/ml and testo was at  12 ng/dL.   Within a few months my estradiol was at 3 pg/ml.  

I had an overall feeling that I wasn't well, I felt so weak.   

• Posted

Hi gailannie

The tests I had didn’t include estradiol or progesterone. Doc wanted to check my thyroid and B12. She checked my FSH which was 66.

Yes I sound similar to you. Had hot flushes at night for last 4 years but I coped with them. Tried lots of alternative remedies but haven’t used anything for over a year. Then about 2 months ago started having random symptoms....headache , dizzy, not feeling quite right, no energy.... doc put it down to a tooth infection but the tooth was removed and I still felt awful. I feel very weak, nauseous, don’t want to eat, keep crying, have no energy or stamina, hot flushes, cold flushes, heart palpitations. Got to have an ECG and blood pressure check before doc will give me HRT. X

• Posted

hi gailannie

That's how I feel....i don't feel well and feel very weak.

I didn't have the estradiol and progesterone tested, just thyroid and B12.  They were fine so I'm now waiting for an ECG before doc will give me the HRT.

Just ant to feel myself again.

• Posted

Well I hope you get something!  Menopause and the shift in hormones can really do a number on our bodies and mind.  It stinks to feel this way.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.