Feeling awful...is it menopause?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi  I'm 53 and had my last period 3 years ago.  I've had hot flushes for 4 years but nothing major.  For the last 2 months I've been feeling awful....headaches, dizzy, feeling spaced out, no energy, hot flushes getting worse, cold flushes, nausea.....Could this be the menopause that is causing me to feel so ill?  I don't take any medication.  Thanks for reading x

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Apparently all my responses are now being moderated.  This is the second response that popped up "waiting to be moderated"    And I have no idea why.  Hopefully the moderator will get it up soon.  

• Posted

Ahh thank you for this forum. I feel every day brings another little something “special” with this menopause gig! Good days Ana bad days for sure. Right now fatigue and waking up startled for no reason at night is bothering me most. Also, not being able to shut my mind down to a calm place. I won’t take hormones. I’m on Effexor 75 mg. Which is the lowest dose. Maybe I need to increase. I go for my physical next month so we shall see. It’s juwt nice to know I’m not in this alone. It really sucks! 
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm just the same - 55 years old and now nearly three years without a period, but for over a year now I've felt just awful.  Mornings are worst - I wake up every day feeling very low, but also very on edge and anxious and generally totally drained.  I usually perk up as the day goes on and by the evening I'm feeling normal again.  But it begins again the next day and has done so over a year now. I'm on antidepressants (third time in the last eight years), but this time they don't really seem to be doing anything at all.  I'm also having psychotherapy, because my GP is treating me with the assumption that I am suffering purely from depression.  I have mentioned menopause to both him and other health professionals I've seen, but they all dismiss it as the cause of my low mood.  I haven't tried HRT yet (my GP does not encourage it), but I'm at the end of my tether and feel that I will never get better.  It's good to read on here that I don't seem to be alone during this dreadful time.  It would help me enormously if my GP just said to me yep, it's menopause - take this and you'll soon feel better!

• Posted

Susan I’m just the same as you, in 55yrs and 3yrs into menopaus. Went through an horrendous peri from 2012, then had the best Jan this year iv had for 5trs but didn’t last I’m back feeling like you. Today at work iv git the internal tremors and shivers, feel so weak and nauseas. I’m not on HRT because I thought if I go on it then come off it in later life I wouldn’t be able to cope with this when I’m older but I do understand if it’s better for others as it’s all about quality of life. Wish someone lived near me to chat to. Hugs x
    • Posted

Hugs to you too - I really do empathise. I suffer every morning from the shakes, churning adrenaline in my chest and extreme fatigue. I cry at my desk, trip back and forth to the loo, mainly because I just don’t know what to do with myself. Are you in the UK? There is a Facebook menopause support group which is very informative and may give you the opportunity to message people directly.
    • Posted

Hi Susan, I know it's been a while since you made this post, I wonder how you're doing now, if you found a solution. My antidepressant also stopped working in menopause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.