Feeling bad after 7 days of Prednisone

Posted , 12 users are following.

I took Prednisone from Tuesday October 8, 2019 to Monday October 14, 2019. I was taking 20 mg per day. After my prescribed duration, I experienced withdrawal symptoms such as fatigue, irregular heartbeat feeling (pounding and rapid), trouble sleeping, dry mouth and eyes, indigestion feeling, gastritis (gnawling feeling), rage (rushing to cook food and eat), increased appetite, hyperness, mood swings, severe anxiety and depression.

It is currently December, I am still experiencing symptoms such as dry mouth, puffy eyes, indigestion feeling but have slow bowel movements, gastritis, rapid heartbeat, trouble sleeping, depression and anxiety. I recently started experiencing upper abdominal discomfort feeling in chest and back. Hopefully, this is just gas.

If I had a do over, I regret taking this medication. This drug disrupts my excitement of life in many ways. I pray that others and I feel better soon. I researched online that Predisone withdrawal can last from several weeks to 12 months. This period depends on how long you was taking the drug and the dosage. Prayer helps me.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Jochia,

How are you feeling now? I was prescribed Predisone on November 12th in case I had inflammation. I was to take 7X5mg for 3 days and then taper down but I had to stop it after 3 days. I had very bad side effects. Then I had withdrawal symptoms.

It's now 20th December and some of the withdrawal symptoms have subsided but I'm still very weak and fatigued. I'm still getting aches and pains and headaches. I keep getting a strong smell of perfume or aftershave and I can taste it as well. Just wondering how long will these symptoms last. I not on any medication and I never had steroids before.

• Posted

Hi Rita, I am still experiencing withdrawal symptoms such as being extremely fatigued, dry eyes and mouth. I am also dealing with gastritis because pred affected the lining for my esphogaus. I pray the we feel better soon. No one deserves to feel this way. I did research online about pred withdrawal and these problems could last from several weeks to 12 months depending on the dosage and duration you were taking it.

• Posted

Hi Jochia,

Thank you for your reply. I knew nothing about steroids before I took them and I just got my prescription in a bottle without any leaflet explaining about any side effects. I spoke to two different doctors after I had side effects from the predisone and one said some people should not take steroids and the other doctor said I shouldn't have been given them and I was a told to stop. It's been very hard. I will get bloods taken in the New Year to see if they have caused any damage. Hope you will be feeling better soon. It's good to know that we are not the only people suffering withdrawal symptoms as the symptoms can cause alot of anxiety. Thank you again for replying back to me.

• Posted

Hi Rita, I totally agree about the anxiety. My anxiety has been up to the roof after taking this medicine.It also causes me to be depressed too. Prednisone is a very evil drug. It should be banned from stores.

• Posted

I have been taking pred for four years. If it were banned I would be in a wheelchair or even bed bound, in screaming agony. In fact I would have contemplated killing myself. It is a wonder drug. I agree it does have side effects but nothing compared to the pain I had before taking it. On the other hand most drugs have side effects.

• Posted

Hi Ptolemy, we all have different reactions to this drug. It affected me greatly. I don't like it.

• Posted

I have had fourteen different side effects so it also has affected me. I do not like that either. However without it I would have been much worse. I am just trying to point out that there may be side effects, like for most drugs, but steroids are considered one of the top seven major medical breakthroughs since the 1940s. We should be very grateful for it as it has been a godsend to a lot of people, we should not be wanting to ban it.

• Posted

Prayer is best. Steriods aren't good for your body. God can help remove our problems by prayer and patience. I don't think to highly of steriods sorry. Taking steriods can affect your adrenal glands weather doing high, low dosage, or tapering. Nobody's perfect but it is not best to be dependent on any steriods.

• Posted

It also affects your immunity.

• Posted

For us, with PMR, it affects our immunity in a good way. I was given pred many years before PMR , for what the nurse practitioner thought was an allergy. I got a rash on the first day of 40 mgs. I stopped immediately thank goodness. Several years later, it was a miracle drug to get rid of the PMR inflammation.

• Posted

As Peggy says steroids are supposed to reduce your immunity for them to work. None of us like taking medicines, but in my case steroids have allowed me to live a life. I am just saying, saying ban something because you don't like it, may not be true for everyone.

• Edited

How are you feeling now? I was prescribed 40 mg of Prednisone to be taken to be taken for 4 days. After those 4 days life has been complete hell. Rounding to 3 weeks and I'm having brain fog, headaches, body chills. Life doesn't feel the same anymore.

• Posted

Hi Shania,

So sorry to hear you are feeling unwell after taking predisone. I hadn't taking any steroids before so I didnt know it could have such an effect on some people. I'm off the steroid since November 15th and my senses of smell and taste are effected. I keep getting very strong smells(perfume like)(???) and I can taste them. It's quite sickly. I'm getting ringing in my ears on/off. I never suffered with any of those symptoms before. My back is sore and my legs are weak and I'm still dizzy. My headaches and fatigue are gone. I'm better than I was but it's taking a while. Hope you will be better soon.

• Posted

how long did it take for you to feel better? I am on day 5 of being off of prednisone and I feel terrible with blurry vision, headache just feel terrible. I have alot of anxiety also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.