Feeling bit low.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Don't really know what's going on with me ,but I am feeling very down with this .

This is new to me and not coping very well.

Few weeks ago this started, had metronidazole, things calmed down a bit ,then temp pulse and bp went mad, so blood tests ,but infection had come down.

So I am thinking great,not for long tho.😕

Started with mucus, temperature, pulse went up again. So had blood tests,came back no infection, although they said it can change by day.

So Doc said Metronidazole again, been on it for two days,still got temperature and mucus😕

Talked to Doc this morning, he said take the Metronidazole and hopefully it will calm down.

I haven't had a pain this time.

So glad I have found this site,it is so good to be able to talk.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I have found a Probiotic seems to be helping , know how down you must be feeling, try and think positively
    • Posted

Thanks Emma ,I am going to give them a go.

Trying to stay positive, not easy.

• Posted

I usually take cipro  and metronidazole for diverticulitis. It is natural to be down. I know the exact feeling. How long have you been on the one antibiotic?
    • Posted

Hi Madeline.

I was on Metronidazole for five days,and wasn't feeling good ,so they put me on amoxlclav.

There were times when I felt better, then on Wednesday, feeling sick temp up to 37,pulse 99,so Doc was thinking infection, blood tests,came back,nothing going on. Phoned Doc yesterday he said stay on Metronidazole because of temp 😕

and it being weekend.

Temp is still up well 37.4 which is high for me,pulse still a bit all over the place.

My Daughter thinks it is my head I need to sort,she is right I know ,but as she said if the temperature wasn't up??

Anyway going to see how I go ,if in doubt give Doc a call.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Madeline and Suzy,

I'm sorry you have to take antibiotics and agree with you that other antibiotics might be effective for Suzy.  However, I need to warn you that Cipro (and the other FQ class of AB) are seriously strong and, while they may be OK for you at the moment, their damaging effect on your body is cumulative - which means you will eventually reach your threshold.   If you read the warnings in the Cipro packet you'll see there is a long list of things that may happen - your doctor will probably tell you these are all rare.  They may be rare, but once you take one tablet too many, any or all of these side effects can kick off - and some may cause permanent damage.

I'm not making this up - look at the discussions about fluoroquinolone antibiotics here on this site or go to this thread started by the moderator:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

An academic paper has just been published about these dangerous side effects plus the FDA made an announcement about them in July last year.  Please don't wait til it happens to you - it ruins lives and you don't need that along with DD. 

Also, perhaps don't take Ibuprofen or any other NSAID, stick with paracetamol.  NSAIDs can also tip the balance and start off the side effects.

Take Care x

• Posted

Hi: what is parectamol? I have never heard of it.

I know all about what cipro can do but if there is and I want to stress there are no other antibiotics that help me and I have taken others and wind back in the hospital on IV antibiotics which are the IV version.

I thank you for your concern.

How many attacks and hospitalizations have you had and what do you take for your attacks?

I wish I didn't have to take any antibiotics and I use heat and take dicylomine for cramping, stay on liquid diet to test the colon but sometimes more is needed.  

Thank you again and please let me know how many and how frequent your attacks have occurred and what you take to get better.

🙏

Madeline 

• Posted

A fever is nothing to fool around with.

It's a scary disease when it flares up and definitely makes you depressed.

That antibiotic should work. It didn't help me but everyone is different. My opinion give yourself 5 full days on the new antibiotic and watch your diet(soft foods) and you should start feeling a bit better. Try to go out and get some fresh air. If after that time you still have a fever go back to doctor.  It's the fever that concerns me. Everything else takes time to heal. Have faith and watch any hard to digest foods.??🙏Madeline 

• Posted

Hi Madeline

Thank you for your kind words. Yes it is the rise in temperature that I don't like and the fast pulse. So not really sure what's going on ,think I am going to Shropshire Doc, as I don't like this fast heart rate.

I haven't get had the camara, as yet,but pretty sure this is what I have. No more mucus today so that's good .xx

• Posted

Hi Miriam

Yes I hate taking any medication,because of what they can do .x

• Posted

Acetaminophen?  Steer very clear of NSAIDs!

I'm not here because I suffer from DD, I'm here to try and make sure people don't unknowingly get damaged by Cipro.  At least you've weighed up the dangers and know all about how devastating FQ toxicity can be.  My friend had DD and was also devastated by Cipro.

Thank you for all the help you give others who are suffering and frightened.

Good luck.

• Posted

Being well informed is a must but knowing when you have tried all other options and have a choice to either suffer  a perforation or like my brother die sometimes you must do what you have to do. There are risks with everything. That's why I pray a lot.🙏

• Posted

Hi Madeline. Paracetomol is a painkiller, but its not that good for this type of pain. I personally don't find them strong enough. I was on Codiene , but it makes me ill so I can't take it. I put a hot water bottle on my stomach and that seems to work a bit. I'm on a bland diet at the moment as I have had constant pain for about 3 weeks. Doctor suggested Neuropathic painkillers, but I'm already on them. Wish I knew of something to take. How do you find being on a liquid diet? I only eat soup, cereal and rice pudding. Have you any suggestions?

I drink Ginger and Lemon tea and Camomile tea before bedtime. Both are generally good for the stomach and bowels. The only thing I find helps with the pain is concentrating on something else.

• Posted

I only do a liquid diet for a day unless I still have pain and the heat works wonders.  I find most days now I only eat soft and easy to digest foods. I use a crockpot and make chicken a lot. I put carrots in with chicken and it's about the only vegetable I eat. I eat applesauce a lot. When the pain subsides I eat more and lately have had some peas and a small lettuce salad. I am so careful but have gained the weight I lost . I lost 10 lbs. I have 5 back on which I had hoped stayed off but when you eat mostly carbohydrates it's hard to keep the weight off. I do eat pasta.

Three weeks is a long time to feel bad. You should start feeling better sooner than later. 😘

• Posted

I forgot to ask. Did you check the side effects of medication. Maybe it's not agreeing with you. There are other antibiotics that work. It's seems as though you shouldn't be having a temperature if you've been on it for more than 3 days.

• Posted

Hello suzy,,, D.D is a bit of a sod to cope with ,as we do have it for life, The thing is to be in control of it. and do not let it take over . I cope ,by taking probiotic capsules,, two a day. and if the pain gets  a bit niggley  I take a couple of Paracetamol which seems to do the trick. .Antibiotics are all very well, but too many kill off your immune system ,which your body does need.to take care of all your other bits.

AND  stress is  NOT good ,so, take control. make the DD calm down ,and just regard it as a "situation" that has to be dealt with,

Jacqueline xx

• Posted

Hello suzy,,, stress is a major bug bear, and affects all our body,but you can't scratch it like an itch, or rub it better... It's just not a visible body part,, just a trouble maker. You need to do things that you enjoy doing.to take your mind off of this. Go for a walk.or a drive, read, borrow a dog,,get a dog, go shopping,,,not groceries, gardening, that really gets my mind in reverse,.weed murdering..And smile ,

Jacqueline xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.