Feeling depressed

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello everyone, I'm a 55 year old female and I've had a total right hip replacement 9 days ago due to oa. I'm still in a lot of pain and am very swollen from the knee down into the foot. I feel like the hips going to pop out every time I stand up, I also feel very depressed.  Any advice guys. Xx

2 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Julia,

i am on day 10, so I know how you are feeling!  This is a wonderful site, with so many people who care enough to give you their experiences.

as for me, the scar skin is so very tight so I am applying a non perfumed moisturiser around it until I find a good silicone washable cover for when it irritates against clothing during the day.

i also found it so useful to gently clench and squeeze the butt muscles many times throughout the day to tighten them.  They help to keep the joint in place apparently, which you may find reassuring.  

My lower legs are like trees, even with the compression stockings on!

From now on things should get better a little every day, and you have been given good advice about pain control.

stay positive!   Jillx

• Posted

Hello Jill, many thanks for your reply, and yes we are lucky to have such a generous community of people to turn to. Thank you for your advice about the butt crunching, my hip feels quite unstable, will start doing this straight away. Hope your recovery is speedy. Best of luck. 💝
  • Posted

Julia,

Ice, elevantion, and pills ........ 9 days is very early, and most of us get these pains and swelling.  This can go on for quite a while - see my website.

Address is in here

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and in the moderators useful resources thread at 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hello graham, thank you for your reply, people have been so generous with their time and advice. My hip feels quite unstable and at times feels like it's going to pop out, is this normal. Best wishes. 💖
    • Posted

I have not experienced that problem - it doesn't sound 'normal', I hope it'snot loosening at all - was it cemented or uncemented?

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hello graham, hope your well. Have had such a great response from such caring and generous people like yourself. My hip is feeling much more stable today and am down to one crutch, which makes me feel less vulnerable, having one hand free to fetch and carry things without having to rely on others is a great feeling, little things mean such a lot. I don't know if it was cement or not, certainly felt like I was carrying a block of cement at times. My surgeon didn't go into the details, I thought all hip replacements where the same, only through this forum have I found out that's not the case. Thanks again for your support. I wish you all the best. Love and luck.💝
  • Posted

Hi julia l am a time served hip forum guru 😅

I am 43 years old and have had both hips replaced 1st on dec 9th last year 2nd 15th feb so l had about 8 weeks apart. So l am now 13 to 14 weeks post op.

Believe me when l say l know how you feeling. The 1st couple of weeks are the hardest but it is really important that you keep your pain levels to the mimimum by taking as much psinkillers as allowed and needed if yoo are still in unmanagable pain then phone your gp as you may need a stronger painkiller.

As for feeling depressed this does happen its a rollercoaster ride of emotions one week you feel great and feel like you are recovering so well then suddenly you feel down and the tears come anf you can't shake the feeling for a few days but it does go and as the weeks go by you will get better.

My advice would be to make sure you keep doing your physio that you will have been shown in the hospital. You are still at the begining of your recovery julia give it time its major surgery you have just had it affects everything your sleeping your moods going to the loo. I have been throigh it twice and have been of my work since november last year. I have had terrible times being stuck at home for so long when l was used to working full time and seeing loads of people everyday to seeing hardly anyone apart from.my husband and family now and then. It does affect you mentally but you just have to keep fighting on an it will get better l done it through 2 thrs and its been a hard journey harder than just doing 1 and l have survived. And l would not change it as l had a year of suffering OA pain and being miserable. I had no idea l had OA l thought l had just pulled a muscle in my groin and it just sreadily got worse as time went by l visited my gp and he to though the same until l could not hardly get dressed in the morning without crying and l got sent for n xrays. A week later l was being told both hips were in a terrible state they were both bone to bone and needed replaced asap.

I found this forum just after my 1st thr and it was a godsend so many lovely people who you can get help and advice and know exactly what your going through. It honestly got me through the hsrd times and l have got to know so many people.

So any questions or if you just need b support or to know your not alone we all have something in common just share your story of hospital with us if it helps.

I am now well on my road to recovery. I am not yet back at work but l am driving and doing most things l used to the only diffrence being l have not got the energy l did before l still sleep a lot but l can't sleep on my own bed for the full night l end up on the couch. But l sm getting there and so will you

Laura

X

• Posted

Hello Laura, sorry to hear you have had such a bad time, can't get over how generous people have been with their time and advice. I was feeling so scared and alone, even though my husband has been a god send, they can't fully understand the emotional side of things bless em. I am beginning to realise that I am not a freak and other people are finding the whole experience painful and slow. You hear so many stories of miraculous recoveries it makes you feel inadequate. I'm glad your well on your way to recovery after all you've been through, gives me hope. Many many thanks again for your time. Wishing you all the best. 💝
    • Posted

Hi Laura, I am glad to hear that you are over the worst of it. I am two weeks post op for my right thr. I also can't believe how dependent I have had to be on others to help with my basic needs. Like you I also need my left hip replaced, and my surgeon wants to do it in July making both of my surgeries 8 weeks apart. I am 62 so quite a bit older than you, even though this surgery has to be rough on anyone who has endured it. I just don't know if I will have the strength to go through it again so soon. Right at the moment I don't even want to think about it. Wishing you well on your recovery...Barb 
    • Posted

I'm 4wks on since my thr I've found your advise really helpful too. As everything you've said I'm experiencing also, early days I know and although the agony of the last 18 months of OA & Arvascular Necrosis has gone it's a different pain now one of healing but I too keep crying!!! I've gone from 100MPH lifestyle to standstill I do try to focus on the end result xx
    • Posted

Hello chick, my daughters name is Lorna,  she came round yesterday and gave me a bit of a pamper, shaved my legs, and slapped some much needed moisturiser on them, felt really good, not used to that treatment at all. Crying, I can so relate to that. The sudden halt  to a very active lifestyle, what a shocker.  I hope you start to feel better soon, physically and emotionally. It's a rough ride, but at least we can lean on each other. love and hugs.xxx
    • Posted

Hi NPB,

I understand your dilemna. I am having my second done this summer. But I have a better gap between the two surgeries. I have to say though that my right hip has been acting up so much that I wish it was sooner even though I am not looking forward to starting the journey over.

This must be one of those 'character building opportunities' for us that my Grandmother used to talk about! 😄

I certainly did learn a lot about myself and others around me through my first THR! For example, despite any thoughts to the contrary: I am NOT a patient person; I have lots more to learn about my body; and my husband and daughter are even more wonderful than I knew.

Hang in there Barb, sorry for the hard time you are having. But ... think how wonderful to have all of this 'recovery' and 'character-building' behind us!

Hugs,

L

• Posted

Hi Julia,

I'm 54 years old and had my op 14 weeks ago. The emotions,the pain do get better in time,don't try and rush things. Are you sticking to your 90 degrees and doing your physio exercises?

It can feel a bit strange to start with, your muscle and bone has to grow around your implant, plus the healing from where you were cut and pulled about.

My weirdest feelings in the early days, were feeling like it was clicking and when going upstairs it felt like my leg was going to pull off when I lifted it up. that's all gone now.

Take care

Lynn xx

• Posted

Hello Lynn, that's exactly how it feels when I get on and off the bed, like it's going to pull off. Glad to hear someone else had that feeling and is now ok, very reassuring. Thank you so much for taking the time to put my mind at rest, it's very much appreciated. Love and luck. Take care. 💝
    • Posted

No problem, I don't know where I would of been without this site, so much that I didn't know about and the doctors don't tell you.  It certainly has helped me get through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.