Feeling depressed

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello everyone, I'm a 55 year old female and I've had a total right hip replacement 9 days ago due to oa. I'm still in a lot of pain and am very swollen from the knee down into the foot. I feel like the hips going to pop out every time I stand up, I also feel very depressed.  Any advice guys. Xx

2 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Julia, 

I'm almost 4 weeks post op RTHR and I am making good progress by all accounts.  However at 9 days post op I was where you were with a very swollen leg which didnt feel like my own and wouldnt do what I wanted it to do. I was terrified it was going to dislocate.  We're all different and will heal at different speeds, however I just want to reassure you that it will and does get better.  Just listen to the previous comments.  Keep up your pain meds as you dont get any prizes for trying to come off them early, do your exercises and make sure you rest lots.  I'm not sure what to suggest about feeling down, I managed to feel better by confiding in close friends who were very good at making me feel positive again. It is a rollercoaster, thats for sure. 

Good luck with your recovery.

David

• Posted

Hello David, thank you for taking the time to reasure me, it's very much appreciated thank you. I have taken the advice on board about meds, taken them before the pain starts. I can relate to the scary feeling of the hip dislocating, getting in and out of beds the worst. Thanks again for taking the time to respond, it means a lot. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care.💖
  • Posted

Dear Julia, I am sorry to hear that you feel that way. But please do not worry, do not believe that you will continue to feel this way. This is a very serious operation and it takes its toll on our bodies. It is very important that we honor the process of healing my friend. You deserve this time to heal and get stronger. For me I considered it a huge gift that I was able to have the surgery and I wanted to do everything I could to heal properly, no rush at all. I am 9 weeks post op now and I feel almost pain free after years of horrible pain. I am like a new women But it took time and  when I was ready good physical therapy, not too much,not too little so as not to hurt myself.. Pleaase take your time and if you can try to focus on the wonderful new hip you have that will no longer be in pain. Be patience, rest and look forward to a pain free life. lol Sending good energy your way. - Cindy
    • Posted

Hello cindy, many thanks for your reassurance, glad to hear you are through the worst and recovering well. I will try to stay positive, yesterday was a better day for me, let's see what today brings. I can be very patient with other people but find it difficult to be patient when it comes to myself. I will have to take one day at a time and enjoy the good days. Thank you again for your kind words. Love and luck. 💝
  • Posted

Hi julia, I had a THR 4 weeks ago and I had all the same systems as you and I felt depressed and felt myself crying most of the time.Thankfully it doesn't last for too long, just make sure you keep your legs up and rested. The weird feeling that you get in your hip will get less as time goes on, it just feels a bit strange like your hip is coming out of the socket. Good luck, I am sure you will start to feel a bit better soon.
    • Posted

Hello Sally, many thanks for your reassurance, I felt like I was going mad, but just knowing that other people experience the same feelings and fears is a great comfort. Hope you carry on feeling better every day. Take care, love and luck. 💖
  • Posted

Julia

You are in the eye of the storm so to speak, once the first two weeks have passed you will start to feel so much better....we all completely understand how you are feeling.

The hip can feel 'heavy' with the swelling, and just being very different, and you are likely to need time to gain confidence and get used to your lovely new hip. It won't pop out but I remember being scared of it happening too. I assume your xrays were checked before you left the hospital? It is almost certainly your fear of damaging it.

It will get easier, just keep your leg up at all times, do your exercises religiously.

Find ways to make yourself feel better, your favourite drinks and lunches, funny films, music that takes you to a happy place, friends maybe popping in for a very short time or even making it outside for a breath of fresh air. Try to make a small goal every day no matter how tiny, so you feel progress is happening.

I had some horrendous days when I cried most of the day, and felt like it was the end of the world. It is very hard, and no one cruises through this emotionally, but you are over the worst, coming into a better stage, and we are all here for you.

• Posted

Hello rose, it's like you took the words out of my mouth. It's so reassuring to know that I'm not the only one with these fears and feelings. You are right I need to try to focus on goals, and emerse myself in some light entertainment. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post so kindly. Hope your recovery goes from strength to strength. Love and luck. 💝
  • Posted

Hi Julia, you sound exactly like me right now. I had a RTHA 13 days ago. Some days seems like I see no progress but then all the sudden I can do something I couldn't do the day before. Last night I was finally able to actually get into the bed without help. I also have been dealing with the depression and so wish that I could start feeling better and be able to do more. I was wondering if I was progressing like I should be, and seems from what I have read on this wonderful site I am coming along ok. Wishing you well and hope you also feel better soon. Oh yes, I also have the swelling and my ankle is so big my foot aches. I will be glad when that goes down. I also took the last of my blood thinner shots this morning, and that alone is call for celebration. 
    • Posted

congratulations on completing the bloodthinning injections !!!

I had to self-inject fragmin for 6 weeks, twice. ...

big warm hug

Renee 🐱

• Posted

Celebrate, celebrate and dance to the music! I was so glad to come to the end of those injections (8 weeks and my abdomen was a mass of bruises).

It is definitely good to mark the milestones and achievements .. never so happy as the day (last week) of my first bath .... umm, ummm, ummm.

I highly recommend renting/downloading a video of a great concert and having friends in with secret treat to enjoy. Really lifts the spirits and distracts you from the tough parts of this recovery journey.

Take care.

L

• Posted

Thanks Linda, you bet I am celebrating no more of those injections. My abdomen is also covered in bruises, looks like I was someones punching bag. I was able to put myself into my bed last night twice which was a major milestone. I hate having to wake my husband up in the middle of the night to help me get back into bed. I still wish that I felt better. My surgeon wants to do my left hip sometime in July, but honestly I just don't now if I can. I guess I will have to see what I feel like by then and how my walking is. I certianly am not looking forward to it.
    • Posted

Hello, swelling is a nightmare chick, and yes I felt just like you, why am I not jumping round the house at this stage, must be something wrong with me, but as you say after reading other people's experiences, we are no different. I had to be reminded that this is a brutal operation and, our bodies have suffered great trauma. Getting in and out of bed can be a nightmare I agree. First thing in the morning and last thing at night are the worst for me. Thankfully I'm down to one crutch leaving me with a free hand to carry my (stuff) from room to room.  Little achievements mean such a lot. I am so greatful to the people on this site, including yourself, who have made me feel less alone and scared. You sound like your going in the right direction chick, ups and downs seems to be the order of things. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Love and luck.💝
    • Posted

Thank you Julia, and oh my gosh how I wish I was down to a crutch or a cane. I am still only allowed to put 50 percent weight on my right leg...So I am still using a walker, which I hate! So very much know what you are talking about when it comes to having no arms to use. I keep telling my husband seems like not only are my legs a mess but I have no arms either because I have to hold on to the walker. Trying to carry anything at all no matter how small is tough. Which in turn seems to contribute to my depression. I feel so helpless at times...Baby steps and I am seeing progress it is just very slow. I see my surgeon on Friday and hopefully he will tell me that I can start applying more weight to that leg. I also am supposed to have my left hip done in July, but I just don't know if I can go through this again so soon...Wishing you well.....Hugs....
    • Posted

I never had to use a walker, but two walking sticks meant I could not carry either. I found I could stuff a tall thin travel mug with a lid into my jeans pocket to carry my essential morning coffee.

I used an old camera bag to ferry other items around, that and the trolley on wheels (see my website again) which I pulled behind me using the long handled shoehorn reversed.

Right now I just cannot imagine having to go back to thathelpless state yet again, and just hope this mis-placed hip will last me out so I don't need it replaced, but at 63 (nearly 64), I am wanting it to last a good long time yet.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Graham are walking sticks the same as what we call crutches in the US? I've heard this used many times. I am still using a walker, which I am sick and tired of but I own a pair of crutches . I wonder if it makes a difference which you use?
    • Posted

I agree ONCE is enough to last a lifetime! My heart truly goes out to anyone having to do this twice! Oh my gosh! How does one keep their sanity?
    • Posted

Cindy,

UK "Walking Stick" = US "Cane"  

We have crutches too - under-arm ones aren't very common, but must be much easier to walk with as you can support yourself properly.  My wife bought a pair of the more common ones now have a "3/4 hoop" around the upper arm. Personally I dislike them as I find them difficult to use.

I transferred to "hiking poles" (see picture) when I had problems with my shoulder due to repeated 'thumping down' of the walking sticks/canes when walking for miles in the countryside.

Best thing I ever bought for £2 was the "stick clips" to stop the sticks (canes) from continually falling over wherever I put them - see my website for a picture.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Gosh ... I like the walker. It gave me great stability so I could walk better and further and the basket allowed me to carry things. All of these gave more independence which I desperately craved. And, it folds up conveniently to put aside far easier than crutches when out and can be used to sit when tired.

I will use it gratefully when I have my second hip done. PS - the Nexus models avail in NA seem to have better design and function than ones I have seen commonly used in the UK.

L

• Posted

I am with you, Linda ... I was advised to get a 4 wheels walker (rollator or trolley )rather than crutches since I live alone. .but I was full weight bearing. .There is a basket and a seat,so could put things on it ...

I would have been lost without it. ..

• Posted

Well I just learned something. Thanks Graham. I'm sure I would've been in for several revisions had I even attempted to use those! Hats off to all of you with walking sticks! Cindy
    • Posted

Hi NPB,

My husband moved to another room when I first returned (for some reason he didn't feel he would get a good sleep with all the pillows, ice packs, medicine and restless wife. And as his hearing is poor, he kept his cell phone with him to ensure he could wake if I really needed him to. You just imagine how I felt waking him that way!!!!

• Posted

Yes it couldn't have been good. I have felt so awful having to wake my husband time and time again. I am so happy I can get in and out of the bed by myself. Looking forward to advancing to either a crutch or cane as it would be nice to have a hand available is really hard to carry anything walking with the walker. I go see my surgeon on Friday and hope that he changes the weight bearing orders so I can put more weight on my right leg....Wishing you well.....Barb
    • Posted

Hi Barb.  Just curious as to your limited weight bearing orders. Did you also have a fracture or other problems? I am 5 weeks post op; still only 50% weight bearing. I had a lthr and a fracture. I see my surgeon on June 16th and am hopeful that he will relax some of my precautions by then. Not being able to carry and having to rely on others for just about everything is driving me crazy at this stage of the game. Best of luck in your recovery. Cindy
    • Posted

Yes Cindy, I had a crack in my pelvic bone that the surgeon had to put a "band" on to add additional support. He has lifted my weight bearing to what ever is tolerable. I have been trying to walk some without the walker. I walked some yesterday with a cane but it was real difficult not so much so because of my right hip but because my left hip is also bad and needs replaced soon and it was hurting to bear weight on it! 

So today I had to go to town and I used crutches and that seemed to work much better for me. I went into a few stores and seemed to manage pretty well. Am also able to get in and out of the car easier than before. I see some improvement, but am so worried sick that I still won't be able to walk well until the left hip is done. My surgeon first was talking about doing it in July but I think that is just too soon for me, but if it keeps on the way it is going I won't have much choice but to do it soon. I haven't been able to walk well for a year now, between back and hip problems, and I am so ready to be "normal" or somewhat normal again. I so understand about not being able to carry and having to rely on others, I am so use to others relying on me. I absolutely drives me crazy also. I would rather just be able to get up and just do stuff, and that is what caused me a lot of depression in the beginning of my recovery because I had no idea that I would be THIS incapacitated! I am finally able to move around a little easier, but still hard to do things or use my hands while hanging onto a walker or crutches, will be happy to have full use of my hands again also. Wishing you well and good luck to you also Cindy. Hang in there I am finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel...Hugs...Barb

• Posted

Hi Barb. You've been through a lot . I put my surgery off for too long and wound up with a fracture. I know it's difficult but I wouldn't put the other one off for too long . Best Wishes Cindy
    • Posted

Thanks Cindy, yes you are right. I did put my first hip replacement off for way to long. I ended up with a very long surgery and also had a crack in my pelvic bone that had to have a band put on it for support. I know not to let the left one get as bad or go as long. It is just not what I want to think about right now, but if I continue to have pain and problems walking because of it I will have no choice. Wishing you well.....Barb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.