Feeling depressed

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all, I haven't posted on here for a while, but today I'm feeling very depressed. I've been on Pregabalin for a few years, and until recently was aware of the slight euphoric effect it had. I've also been on double dose of Prozac for a number of years. (I have had clinical depression for longer than I've had fibro). But lately I've been thinking about death and dying, and close family members dying, and my own death. I don't know where this preoccupation has come from, except that my brother in law died in August. My pain level is quite low at the moment but the fatigue is awful. I don't feel like doing anything or going anywhere. Can anyone out there make me feel better? x

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi there, sorry to hear your feelign so down. I had trouble with fatigue before I found out I had fibro and it made living my everyday life difficult. I put myself on a stricter sleeping schedule to ensure i got enough sleep, and started practising yoga right before bed to help me relax and it seemed to really help. Hope you feel better soon. 
  • Posted

Hi.

Depression is a sad side effect of long term illness.

I am so sorry to learn of your brother-in-law's recent death. And yes, his death puts the entire death discussion front and center. That is a very natural reaction especially when a family member dies. Grief must run it's course but the length of time in each stage of grief varies from person to person.

If your thoughts become harmful, it is time to be up front with your physician. Perhaps a change in medication is in order. Rarely does one medication be effective for forever.

Kind regards,

judith

• Posted

Hi Judith, thank you for your reply. I don't have any thoughts of harming myself; I just hate feeling so low. I will see how I go over the next couple of weeks, and will definitely see my GP if I don't feel any better. x

• Posted

Jeanne, lyrica helps me relax each night to ensure I get a decent nights sleep. Grief would be making you feel more low and depressed than you were used to prior to your brother in laws passing.

3 medications I was subscribed to help me with my health issues of AS and fibro flares all have small amount of anti-depressant in them, premarin, endep and sulphazaline.

• Posted

Hi,

My neurologist recommended over-the-counter medication

Melatonin 3 mg

Our bodies produce melatonin which tells our body time to sleep.

I take ut a couple of hours before bedtime...sleep soundly...wake up refreshes!

kind regards,

judith

• Posted

Thanks Jillian, I'm already taking the maximum dose of Lyrica, 300mg twice daily, and don't usually have any problems sleeping, but never wake feeling refreshed. I read somewhere that if you have fibro, it doesn't matter if you've had 1 hours sleep or 10 hours, you still feel like you've had none! I've just had the news that my daughter's partner's mum passed away this morning. (She was terminally ill.) So I guess that's been on my mind as well for the last few months. Strangely, I feel a bit 'lighter' today. x

• Posted

My first question would be are you currently in counseling? Medication is wondrous but meds combined with cognitive behavioral therapy produces the greatest results. Furthermore it is not unusual for medication to lose their efficacy after awhile requiring doseage increases or a new or additional medication. Also often the death of someone we know can trigger a personal response we were not anticipating. Another factor could be that the days are getting shorter and thus you are exposed to sunlight less which could lower the production of serotonin. Just some things to think about. Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Posted

Hi tduker, no I'm not in counselling but have had it in the past. I'm hoping this is just a temporary blip and will soon resolve. Strangely I feel 'lighter' today, despite having just received the news that my daughter's partner's mum passed away this morning. (She was terminally ill, and in a lot of pain.) Maybe that's been on my mind recently as well. And yes I do think the shorter days could be a factor. Thank you for your thoughts. x

• Posted

You are welcome, Jeanne..

Try smiling, a lot of smiling. think of everything that brings a smile to your face...make big plans to do something very special down the road...then smile and work out the details on paper...I am in the midst of having my upper body replaced...yup...2 hands, 2 elbows, 2 shoulders, and 1 forearm...my fibro is quiter because I am on strick rest...so I have no idea what Iam going to do to celebrate recovery from the last surgery...but it is gonna be big...

Have you ever tried a zip line?

Or visited Israel?

Or had the ski patrol bring you down the mountain in one of the sleds for rollers? Roller...non walker

In kindness

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.