feeling down and i don't know why, help

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, i'm annie. my problem has been going on for a little while now. i simply feel sad. when i'm around family, i'm fine, but i know it's not going to last. it's like every thing makes me sad. i'm oversleeping, and i completely stopped caring about what i look like. for example, i used to have to change my clothes everyday, but now i can wear the same outfit and not give a s**t. also, keep in mind that i'm only 14, i'm homeschooled, and have zero friends. and i have anxiety, which i have been professionally diagnosed with.

this probably doesn't make any sense, but please help me out.       

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Annie

Have you had a chat with anyone to find out the reasons for you feeling sad?  is there anyone close that you trust enough to chat to?  Does it bother you that you are home schooled?  Would you prefer to be in a mainstream school where you may make many friends and mingle with people your own age? 

My main advice would be to keep talking and not keep your feelings hidden.  Lots of people will care for you and if you want strangers to listen then please message anyone on here or even keep posting in the thread. 

• Posted

thank you. and honestly i don't know that i want anymore

• Posted

Hi Annie. Please read the reply from mar:34228. Fourteen is an age at which kids are experiencing significant life changes. Fitting in, being accepted, peer and media pressures regarding what you should do, what you should wear, how you should look etc. Teenage years can be brutal. But Annie from your post you are showing some of the signs and symptoms related to depression. Diagnosis and appropriate treatment requires medical support. So please access a physician as soon as possible. Mental Health illness (challenges) can occur at any age. Often having a diagnosis results in stigma and the people you need support from may deny the diagnosis, believe it's just a phase or normal teenagers to feel this way, or tell you to think happy thoughts, smile and everything will be fine.

Many people who have not experienced a mental health challenge are unable to understand your personal experience. A peer support group is an excellent suggestion. You will be with others (not isolated and suffering alone), the group members will understand and will accept you without judgement, having a peer support group is part of effective treatment and management of a mental health challenge. If you are hesitant to discuss this with your family, your health care provider can arrange a meeting to discuss concerns and provide education so that they are able to support you. There may also be a support group for family members/loved ones to attend which will help them to have some understanding and to be able to provide you optimal support. 

Your post is heartbreaking Annie. Please don't dismiss what you are experiencing. It is real, many have replied with good suggestions (not all are advisable at this time). I was first diagnosed at age 8, first suicide attempt at age 12, and first hospitalization at age 14. What you are experiencing isn't going to suddenly stop. You need medical assessment which will help determine what is needed to best help you at this time. Many replies are posted by people who are concerned and care about you. It may be very dark, tortuous, and frightening for you but help is available. Blessings and Love to you Annie! ????????

• Posted

hey, I'm sorry that you went through that at such a young age, and thank you for the suggestions, i really wanna find myself again, i really want to be happy again. it's just hard. everything lately seems so bleak. but, anyway, thanks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.