Feeling extremely anxious and depressed on Lexapro

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all I really hope and pray someone can help!

I was on Lexapro 18 months ago and it worked perfectly until it stopped working. Long story short I have restarted it.. 10 mg for a week 20mg for 2 and a half weeks and now on 30mg for 2 days. Well I am feeling so anxious and depressed. I wasn’t even that depressed before but now I am!! I don’t want to die but I can’t go on like this. I have 3 kids and every second is a struggle. 

Has anyone felt like this on Lexapro start up? I didn’t feel like this the first time around on it.

Seriously thinking of quitting this med and trying to go it alone   I feel dreadful! 

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI I stuck 5 weeks of it, lost appertight, lost 10 lb, sweating in the mornings in bed terrible, didn't feel right till about 5 pm night, anxiety terrible, now day 13 on prozac no better can't sleep at night , anxiety has hit the roof, loss of appertight again, with children to look after it must be terrible, not sure what you should do , everybody say,s give it 6 to 8 weeks, but it,s not that easy, I am also thinking of getting of prozac,

• Posted

I would be happy if I felt better at night lol.. this is all day constant anxiety and depression.. it’s really awful sad 

I would stick with the Prozac.. I was on that when Lexapro pooped out the first time and it worked really well but I remember it taking ages. I had to come off because the low dose stopped working after a while and I couldn’t tolerate higher doses as its very activating.

Fingers crossed for us xx

• Posted

Hi there ! 

Sending to you all my positive vibes and energy to you . I was at the same point you are . I was Doing fine then a huge setback and now I am on my 5th week on 30mg . Now I can see some light at the end of the tunnel . My old self is coming back slowly (sooooooo slowly I started to have no hope ) but it’s worth it ! If you can handle this period (give it a month ) but don’t wait for it day and night . Accept how you feel now don’t fight it and I believe you will see huge difference

Fx

• Posted

Wow that’s a really positive story and does give me a glimmer of hope. Were you on Lexapro for a while before going to 30?

It is SO hard! I’m really really struggling but will try to just get on with it. My Dr said give it a month too so I shall try to be patient. It just seems that I’ve been feeling this way forever as I haven’t felt great since the start of the year but now I’m worse than ever.

Thanks xx 

• Posted

Yes the difficult part was that I too lost faith cause I was on Lexapro 10mg for a while and doing fine ! And boom 💥suddenly  I felt soooo awful . It’s like you are telling my story . I thought I will never feel ok again . I was extremely anxious ,tired , I had headaches all day , nausea , I was dizzy and all these made me really depressed . And I was feeling guilty and didn’t want my daughter to see me like this . So I was pretending in front of her but it was soooo hard . I was crying a lot ! 

And it seemed a never ending journey! 

There are still days better than the others and days more difficult than the others . But those good days give me hope . 

I believe you will be fine since Lexapro helped you before . 

Take it easy . Don’t except miracles . Do what you can , take you time as long as this is ! 

F x

• Posted

Thanks heaps xx

It is so hard when you are feeling well then suddenly crash back down into oblivion! Depression has never been my main problem but all these anxious feelings etc sure do make my depressed!

I have everything crossed that’s a Lexapro will work for me again. I’m trying so hard to be patient and get on with things but it is so hard as you know.

I’m so glad you are starting to feel better.

So it took you 5 weeks on the 30mg to start to feel better??

Thanks again xxx

• Posted

Yep 5 weeks to feel any difference....

I was all about anxiety 

Never depressed before . 

Due to this setback I had all these depressed thoughts and I couldn’t recognize my self 

Hang in there ! 

If you have a beach near you go for walks or swim , it helped me tremendously ! 

F x 

• Posted

Thanks so much!!

I am 5 minutes from the most beautiful beach in South Australia so I do spend some time down there smile 

Well I’ve felt a touch better tonight so I will keep plodding along! Lol 

Xx

• Posted

HI.. THEY HAD TO TAKE ME OFF OF LEXAPRO..  FIRST TIME I WAS ON IT .. I WAS GREAT.. NOT THIS TIME..  SO THEY MOVED ME TO vENLAFAXINE.   JUST STARTED THAT..   HOPE IT WILL HELP FOR MY ANXITY..   DON;T DO IT YOURSELF..  TALK TO DOC...    I DIDN;T FEEL BAD THE FIRST TIME AROUND LEXAPRO.. THATS WHY THEY HAVE TO CHANGE ME.. ALSO MY STOMACH IS  SICK EVERY MORNING SO THEY CHANGED ME TO VENLAFAXINE  3.75  WILL BE MOVING UP TO 75 MG..  I LOVED LEXAPRO THE FIRST TIME.. NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE.. GOOD LUCK AND YOU KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT..   GIVE IT TIME THEY SAY..  I HOPE THE BEST FOR YOU.....
    • Posted

Thank you!

I’ve tried venlafaxine before and broke out in hives smile

How long were you on the Lexapro the second time before stopping?

X

• Posted

Do not try and do any stopping or switching on your own, its to dangerous.  Lexapro does take awhile to get used to, it took me 7 weeks.  I was having some good days and that is an indication that it is starting to work, but what a slow process.  Been on Lexapro for 10 weeks now and am feeling pretty good.  I can actually not think about it constantly.   Please stay in touch with your doctors.
    • Posted

Thank you!

Last night I didn’t feel too bad although yesterday afternoon I felt really down. Today I’m ok. It’s been 4 weeks today so hopefully I’m close to feeling better! 

It’s frustrating when I read it worked for people within a couple of weeks.. lucky them! 

I won’t be switching or stopping I will give it more time.

Thanks again x

• Posted

Don’t get carried away by other people : I felt better in 1-2 weeks. It’s like pain . Some people tolerate it better than others . 

But scientifically and throughout  lots of researches the time required is 6-8 weeks for Lexapro. Some may say 4-6. . But it’s still early!

I believe in you !!!!!! 

All my positive energy Ria

You are not alone ! 

❤️

• Posted

Thanks so much!

I have felt the tiniest bit better the last 24 hours. Nowhere near where I would like to be but maybe a glimmer.. or a speckle.. of hope.

My mood definitely has improved the anxiety is still there.

Thanks so much for your support.

How are you feeling?

Xx

• Posted

My mood improved too first and the anxiety started to ease at the end of  week 4. That touch , that glimpse means a lot . But as I told you before stop waiting . I know it’s exrremely difficult what I am asking but just take the days as they come . And at some point that glimpse will get bigger And bigger .

I am doing good  in general. Week 5 was my first good week . So happy . But as my period is by the corner my hormones make me feel worse and more anxious . 

But this too shall pass .... !

And I insist on the beach walks ....

Lots of healing and good energy towards you !

F x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your help and support it really means a lot x 

My dr also told me that anxiety usually needs higher doses of antidepressant than just depression does and takes a longer time to disappear.

I am trying to take your advice and not think about it too much and just get on with it and I think I’m getting there slowly. 

Glad you are getting better. It’s just such a long process! And when you aren’t feeling good it’s hell!

Where abouts are you from?

Xx

• Posted

When you feel soooo low and suffer so much not be able to find a reason of living like this you start to understand what really matters in life . 

And after that awful scary storm ? there is a beautiful 🌈 waiting for us ! 

I am from Cyprus 

U? 

Feeling a glimpse better today ? 

F x

• Posted

It’s so true.. feeling crappy certainly makes us appreciate the good times that is for certain! I never take anything for granted when I am feeling well and find joy in just about everything!!

Feeling not too bad. Definitely better than I did a few days ago anyway.

Wow Cyprus! I don’t know much about that place..

I’m in Australia x

• Posted

That’s wonderful news !!!!

The “not to bad “compare with the “awful” in a weeks time means you are on the right track! 

Have faith ria ....

Every week will be better ....

F x

• Posted

Fingers crossed! I’m very up and down. My mood is ok it’s just the anxiety that knocks me down sometimes.

One day at a time!

Thanks for the support xx 

• Posted

Hi Fay!

How are you going?

Are you feeling any better?

It’s been a little over a week on the increased dose for me and although I think my anxiety has slightly lowered I am SO TIRED!!! Like can’t stop yawning can’t function kinda tired! But not sleeping well at night either. Did you have any of this? The tiredness along is making me want to decrease my dose!

X

• Posted

Yes the tiredness is part of it ! 

Stuck with it 

Now I am on my period and I fell awful 

It happens . My hormones make me soooo anxious . 

Imagine I am on week 6 1/2 and still not stable .... 

but the good days are a sign we will get there !!! 

This week was so hard . 

The previous was a breeze !!! 

Ahhhh...... patience and acceptance .... 

How r u these days ? 

f x

• Posted

Hey! Thanks for replying x

I decreased back to 20 🙊 at least til I get the results of my gene test back. I just was soooo tired and not sleeping and I was a bit of a mess. I feel ok. It’s weird.. I don’t really feel anxious now but I have constant shortness of breath like someone is smothering me. It drives me CRAZY!!! I know it’s anxiety though.. shallow breathing. I’ve had it before and it did go eventually but my god it is so annoying. 

The ups and downs are so hard hey. But like you said the good days or even the good hours are a sign somethings working. 

Hope you feel better ASAP xx 

• Posted

Sorry for asking but I don’t know anything about genetic tests

How do they do it ? 

And what’s the purpose ?

• Posted

It’s just a swab you can get at the pharmacy and they send it off and it basically tells you which med you will tolerate which one you might need more of because your body metabolises it faster etc xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.