Feeling fed up

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagnosed two weeks ago with Barretts and an ulcer I was prescribed oresazpole and was ok for the first two days but then started to feel sick and jittery all the time I went to the doctor who changed it to lansopzole the last two nights when I.ve gone to bed I,ve had a horrible heaviness in my chest the only position I,m comfortable in is flat on my back I can still feel it when I,m sat up but not as bad it feels like trapped wind does anyone else suffer this or know what it could be

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Joyce  as I hav said before I have barrets had ulcers cured by omeprazole gallstones and h hernia. I used to get dull ache upper back between shoulder blades and asked at the endoscope if hernia or barrets could be causing this as had suffered it for over 4 years to be told no but it got worse when I was on 40 mg omeprazole so have cut it to 20 mg and I don’t get it as much. I am not sure if when lying down whatever is wrong inside kind of leans on a nerve  to cause this but am totally fine through the day but def noticed the higher dose of  ppi seemed to make it worse It also states you should not be on ppi long term but I have been taking them for years but if I don’t take acid is horrendous and had caused some ulcers so will have to continue but go back to the st if it doesn’t let up although they have no idea why I had these pains and although I can bear it it’s annoying and worrying what’s wrong inside lol 
    • Posted

HI sparky thanks for your reply how long did it take to cure your ulcer. I.m sure this feeling in my chest is something to do with the tablets I.m taking it only happens when I,m led down when I,m walking around I.m fine. How long have you had Barretts for ? Because i,ve only recently been diagnosed it came as a shock and I,m suffering a lot of anxiety issues as well . I.m waiting for biopsy results which is making me even more anxious . I know what you mean about these pains and the worry of what's going on . at the moment I can't think of anything else and I.m so tired as well x

• Posted

Hi Joyce,

I was diagnosed roughly a year and half ago with barretts and worried sick about it changing to cancer but am a bit calmer now lol. They did the scope told me i had a hernia and a gastric diverticulum which is a pouching in the stomach but never said anything else. I then got a letter for a repeat scope and thought they had got it wrong only to be told I had ulcers that could cause a bleed h hernia barrets and the diverticulum thing took omeprazole high dose and on the repeat which should have been 6 weeks later and i postponed it cause thy had not told me there was any problems and i travel to america a lot and seems i could have had a bad bleed which did concern me as they had not said but got the repeat about 12 weeks and the ulcers seem to have gone completely and i was on 40mg but as i said weird feeling lying down got worse so have cut it to 20 mg and it seems a bit better,My next scope is about a year and a half and am dreading it as i can only do it by throat spray due to aneasthetic danger but it is over quickly and not sore just horrible lol. Try not to worry most cases i think get a bit better  just try to keep your acid to a minimum if you can.Keep me posted how you get on and as i say try not too worry although easier said than done lol..

t

• Posted

It could be your meds. Did he mention if you had a hernia?

I never had trouble with omeprazole. Have been on it almost 2 yr. now. But my hernia acts up once in awhile, and it's painful. But also can give me a terrible full feeling. So not sure with you.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me I went back to the doctors and he changed my tablets and so far I.ve felt a lot better. No I haven't got a hernia but I have an ulcer. I think the original tablets were giving me a lot of wind and that's why I was so uncomfortable hopefully these new ones will do the trick. How long have you had Barretts for and do you ever have any problems with it. I got my biopsy results back and they aren't showing anything sinister so that's a relief x

• Posted

I get my 2 yr. ck up at the end of this month. I got lucky to even get the test. I went in for a colonoscopy, and the hernia started causing me horrible pain, and I couldn't drink anything, so they tested both! I didn't know what Barretts was, they were all solemn, said I had an ulcer in throat to, and then the hernia-didn't know I had that either. I've learned more here then I did from the doctor. I'm a bit worried about checkup, been having a problem here & there. But people on this site, have solutions & things to do.

Ulcers like yours are sensitive, so glad your getting better.

• Posted

Hi no I didn't know what Barretts was I,d never heard of it . It does help a lot coming on here and reading what other people say . I hope all goes well with your check up at the end of the month .

• Posted

Hello, I found out today just a couple of hours ago I have Barrets esophagus, a hiatal hernia, and acid reflux. I had my first scope today and found all of this out. I'm worried as well.

• Posted

Finding out is both a relief and scary So glad you have an answer I have a hiatal hernia as well I let it go and regret it Let me know if your doc suggests surgery Good Luck
    • Posted

I will. So far I don't think mine is causing me many problems but I will see what the doctor says about it and how the biopsies come back.

• Posted

Hi Kim, I’ve had 2 endoscopes one which said everything is fine, no hernia, oesophagi fine and another 2 months later which said I’ve got a hernia and Barrett’s! I’m having a third soon to confirm what is going on but feel the same panic as you. Really keen to know how you get on. 
    • Posted

The doctors office assured me this man is an expert and has been doing this for a long time. I am waiting for the biopsy results and hoping everything is at beginning stages and is ok. Did you have any biopsies with yours and did you get results back? Are you on any meds? I have been taking pantoprozole for two months. I am going to try and get a diet to follow. I want to be as careful as possible. I am worried. I won't lie. When is your next scope?

• Posted

No biopsies yet. Not even sure what I’ve got yet as 2 consultants, 2 endoscopes with different results. I’m having the next one at the end of next week and am taking both reports with me to the third consultant so he can confirm either way! Since I had the second endoscopy I’ve taken omeprazole but have to finish this tomorrow as need to be med free before my test. I’m realky anxious. If I have got Barrett’s I’ll let you know as our position sounds very similar. 
  • Posted

Though I don't have an ulcer I was diagnosed Barretts about 7 months ago I an supposed to have surgery But life gor in the way The jittery feeling randomly came on me just a few days ago It's right between my breasts and a little higher I am having pain and feel shaky 24/7 I will be contacting my doc tomorrow I understand what you mean by heaviness as well My daughter is a doctor and wants me to get my Vagus nerve It's a cranial nerve that disrupts digestion and can cause these symptoms However Barretts in my opinion should always have surgical repair Daughter told me Barretts alone can cause jittery feeling and anxiety and alot of pain I wish you so much luck in finding out whats going on Let me know Be well

• Posted

Hi alley, I’m interested in your comment about the vagus nerve. I think this has a lot to do with my symptoms too. 
    • Posted

My daughter when she was only a medical student seemed to be a natural at learning the brain She had to of course learn about every part of the brain I have had trauma to me my neck However Not the only reason this nerve can affect you It is the 10th cranial nerve which affects your whole digestion system Not only can it it cause Ibs type symptoms It can cause siginficant pain in the chest mimicking Heart palpitations Whats worse is it can cause anxiety feelings and physical shaking starting from the lower esauphagus It can affect even cause neck pain along with with digestion problems If you hhave have been suffering with no real answers that seem to address how you feel You just might be right My daughter as a doctor /Medical examiner thinks doctors have gotten lazy Not wanting to deal with rare or complicated problems Just take a pill and cover up symptoms She went with me to to GI doc and mentioned it to him to our dismay he answered I would of have thought of that I am waiting to get my referral to a neurologist When I told her someone responed to my my post her advice was Dont give up No one should have to suffer from treatable problems that are just a little more difficult to diagnoas and dont fit into your average medical problem box I wish the best for you It's not easy to deal with these kind of symptoms Please keep in touch and let me know how things are doing

• Posted

Thanks alley. I have all those symptoms! Neck pain on and off, palpitations, skipped beats, ibs... she’s definitely into something! Yes it would be good to keep swapping notes! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.