Feeling flat

Posted , 10 users are following.

i am feeling really flat, with little emotion. Is this normal? I have been putting a face on for such a long time, but I can't seem to do it. I am really flat. Trying to act normal is really hard as I can't be normal. Have anyone had the same thing?

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to keep asking, I know nothing about depression. It's the first time and don't know if it's normal or medication. Sorry!!!
    • Posted

You don't have to be sorry about asking anything that the point of this forum to give each other help advice and support your more than welcome here we all love and care about each other and someone will always reply to you. We all understand so never be sorry
  • Posted

Yes it's just the classic symptoms of depression I do it all the time when I'm working I have to pretend I'm happy and cheerful in front of my clients and I find it exhausting when really I just feel like curling up and dying
  • Posted

I have been dealing with the same thing for around 6/7 years and i've just run out of steam with it. everyone knows im putting it on and it has totally affected my personal and working relationships. i think i'm only just realising that i need to either deal with these issues now or spend the rest of my life fighting them. its horrible!
    • Posted

I had enough too, putting a face on is hard. Like you I have got to sort myself out. I also don't want to spend my life like this. I just never realised how hard it is, to live a normal life.
    • Posted

You certainly need to do something about it or it will just keep getting worse! 
    • Posted

I am going to see a councillor, I need to sort myself out as my parents need me. And for me to. 
    • Posted

Feeling flat, a couple of days. ive upped the medication and didn't know if it was that. 
    • Posted

Try to find something to focus on that stops you feeling flat. i know this is easily said than done if your mood is low. But depression is an evil disease and it it wants you to give up and limit you in what you do. Your only mechanism to fight back is you. Some days you will have the fight other days you wont. But dont let it win the war, its ok to lose a battle or two but you got to believe you will win in the end. However long it takes.
  • Posted

Hi F,

I sounds like you may be taking the medication called lithium. Is that so? That med does make people taking it feel flat. It's safer than feeling severely depressed and prevents episodes of mania. Once you've been on it for a number of months your doctor may decide to reduce the dosage or put you on mood stabilizers instead. I felt flat while I was on lithium but my doctor felt it was safe to take me off of it. The mood stabilizers worked really well. In fact my depression finally left me. I just suffer from the mania now a days. I get angry too easily, I over spend, insomnia is a problem & i often lack motivation to do the simplest things in life. My life will never be perfect. I'm on a combination of two mood stabilizers... Carbamazepine and Divalproex. My self esteem is good.

• Posted

I'm on citalopram, they put it up about a week ago (40mg)  I'm not crying but just flat. I still don't like myself and feel useless, hopeful the councillor will help. I want to be normal.
    • Posted

Can you give the med another few weeks? It often takes a while to work properly. If it still feels flat you can tell your doc and switch to something else. I have been on probably 7 or 8 different ones til I found the Effexor which works pretty well for me.
  • Posted

yes everyday but the more I force myself to do things I mean really force myself this feeling lifts regular excercise keeps me going and doing things I used to enjoy the feelings of happiness start to come back throughout my day are now starting to back I was so flat before I couldn't even get showered eat or get dressed I don't think depression is a quick fix it takes time but I am sure you will get there

good luck

• Posted

I was in denial about my depression for many years but it has gotten worse lately. Like you say, I find it hard to do the simplest things in my life. I refuse to exercise, I often don't get dressed up during the day just hang around in the apartment in  my pj's, don't eat enough, don't shower often enough just to mention a few simple tasks. I need to discipline myself. If I would just tackle one thing at a time I'm sure I would improve myself. I don't want extra medication to remove my depression because I'm over medicated  as it is. I just have to think more positively about myself. I have gotten lazy these last few years. I know I can do it better. I'm not a failure, I'm just simply undisciplined. Positive self talk will change me one small step at a time.
    • Posted

I have been like this for weeks...finally I stopped eating gluten and also tried to cut down on my many goals. In other words, instead of telling myself I need to do this, and this and that today...and feeling worse, I googled How to Get Motivated When Depressed and found some good articles. Reading them helped and then I decided to do just one or two things. Small things. By just making your bed and getting dressed (not too fancy, just doing a pretty good job) you will feel more self-respect and motivation. If you are too tired to go on, then hey, at least you did more than yesterday! And if you feel motivated, you can try something else!. By doing this slowly, I have finally been able to get my new apartment reasonably organized and tidy. I think we also want or expect too much. I want my place to look like a celebrity's but I have to remember I don't have millions of $$

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.