Feeling hopeless about acid reflux. What next?

Posted , 44 users are following.

Hi all,

I started getting heartburn back in January and it has slowly escalated into pretty much constant heartburn. I've already had an Endoscopy which came back clear. I've tried Omeprazole, Esomeprazole and Ranitidine. I'm currently on Lansoprazole which actually seems to be making things worse. I'm also trying DGL Liquorice tablets as well as Aloe Vera Juice and a homeopathic mixture of Nux Vomica and Coffea. I also take Peptac liquid 3 times a day and the doc has also put me on Domperidone. If anything, I seem to be getting worse. Surgery terrifies me but I'm at the point where I'm rapidly running out of options. What can I try next?

5 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have exactly the same. clear endoscopy but constant reflux....tried same meds.....ahhh
  • Posted

I am exactly same situation , daily hertburn heat on chest and now throat nose and ears, awful. Doctor prescribed all of the above but i dont see much improvement. Thank you for tips on diet in this trail I will be trying this....desperate now. I HAVE BEEN OFF WORK FOR 1 MONTH NOW AND FOUND LOOKING AFTER THE CHILDREN VERY DIFFICULT. IN PAIN and NOT SLEEPING. Drugs not doing much. I realise now that I had signs of LPR for very long time but did attributr it to stress etc.

Realy hope the diet changes work......

• Posted

I got it 2 months ago from my blood pressure tablets which gave me gastritis and acid reflux.I too am on the alkaline diet but can't eat chicken,just fish,veges,fruit and rice cakes.None of the pips or any tablets have helped,in fact I have given up all pills.Chamomile tea has been the most effective,2 days after starting that,the burning feelings disappeared,Not the tea bags,buy bulk flowers from a health food store.I drink a few cups a day,don't like it much but it works.
  • Posted

I have had reflux for many years and personally don't think liquorice and other stuff from health food shops does any good at all.For me constant constipation was an issue so am now on tablets called prucalopride as it was found my bowels weren't contracting properly,I also take domperidone and both these things together are really good as it was found my oesophagus wasn't contracting properly either.Most doctors say that the 20mg doses twice a day of these tablets like omeprazole is sufficient but I take 40mg twice a day of lanzoprezole and find things much much better and hardly have any problems at all ,my doctor says the 20mg is a maintenance dose and alot of people need to be on a higher dose.Also I think drinking alcohol causes alot of problems.I never have heartburn but my daughter does and she has an hiatus hernia maybe you could ask if you have one.Also I think stress causes alot of problems for some people.I hope some of this information helps you good luck😊
  • Posted

Have you tried sleeping or laying down with memory foam acid reflux wedge pillows? Just another suggestion in case you hadn't already tried. 
  • Posted

Hiya, just read this and found it quite interesting. My names Jess, I am a 17 year old student and i have a bad acid reflux problem. I was on 60mg of lanzoprozole at one point and then moved to 30 mg whilst taking 20ml of gaviscon everyday. I find that having a glass of water really helps each night, fruit drinks, tea and coffee are no good i find wioth acid reflux. The best drinks are hot water with either mint, ginger or lemon. Also have manuka honey, because it soothes your throat and coats it, acts a bit like gaviscon for me! Trying to stick to a bland diet really helps too, and not too many carbs because you can bloat, which happens to me and the pressure built up sits in my chest and the acid gets horrific. I have an endoscopy next week, but I also have a large gallstone. Honestly your best option is to do everything you possibly can from what I've stated. I can't explain how difficult it is as a teenager to suffer and i have for 11 years now. Hope everything gets better for you!!
    • Posted

Hi Jess - the drink idea is spot on and boy does it work well. I would guess that the honey is causing your bloating because of sugar. See if you improve by dropping it for at least 2 weeks. Yes I know its lovely and you are using it as a crutch for your sore throat! I use bone broth to soothe the throat. You have to simmer it for days and IT MUST HAVE fat on the top! Initially I used to chunder at this but gosh it works and the medical leaders are all discovering this as it also has important building blocks that your body craves. So there!
  • Posted

Hi VioletOblivia

I am sorry to hear that you and many other people are suffering from this. I do too. It started about january time with me. I had on going sore throat, it dint feel good everytime I smoked a cigarette. I reduced to 1 a day but it still sayted with me. Eventually I gave up smoking as it scared me alot that it could be more serious than the sore throat. In the end it got really worse and I could not even speak. My throath was a mess so sore I could not sleep. I was given all sorts of Proton inhibitors over the counter medicine you name it I took it. Nothing worked. This is not related but me and my partner expecting a new edition to our fmaily, so we wanted to be super duper healthy mum and dad to our child and we wanted to go super healthy diet. I threw out the microwave, if you are a human beign and have a child please I beg of you please do not use this thing. I bought a juicer and I introduced the GAPS diet for my self. I did this beacuse I had 15 years of constipation. Every night for many years I took senna tablets or senna leaf tea to go to toilet, few years ago I ditched senna and went for the Lactulose along side 2 spoons of linseeds each night. Otherwise I couldnt go to toilet. Anyways I am going to skip this very quickly as this is not about gaps diet. But doing the Gaps diet in 1 week into it, my toilet habits changed dramatically. I do not use anything now and I go like a clock work every morning. That bloated boy has nearly a six pack these days. I feel light as a feather smile.

Back to Acid. Ok been super healthy dad well nearly dad as he is due is Eptember, I and my partner cook everyday. We do not buy anything precooked or ready or in packaging.Everything bought organic as much as we can and fresh. We make verything, including our butter, yogurt, sour cream, fresh juices and so on.. There is a soup in very meal and everyday. You get the picture. It sounds crazy and time consuming as we are all busy and no time. Well thats an excuse. My partner is in fulltime work and I am an actor and photogtapher and antiqie dealer. We make time as this is the most important thing in our lives, its us. 

Back to acid. Everyone has a trigger food. Something you introduced recently to your diet, going back maybe 6 months. Stress is alo a factor. My trigger food was Honey!! I know what you thinking its crazy, its honey it healthy it shoots the throat and the stomach.. Well hell it does. There is not scientifuc rpoof that honest acts as a sthooting agent. Also its very highly Acidic.. big no no for acid reflux. Since we are very super duper healthy we started bringing proper honey from Slovakia, my partner is from there nad her father is a a hunter and his friend in the mountains keeps bees for fun. Not commercial but sells here and there. We got this liquid gold by the jars, given 2 EUR each. its Manuka honey stuff I tell you its fantastic.. but deadly for me. I clciked on this last week finally as its the only thing we introduced in the long term I had ate everyday was the honey. I cut it out immidiately to try and what do you know the next day I better, the day after hmm no issues.. and so on. its been a week today and feel much better. 

But it isnt as easy as just cutting one thing out. Ines6375 is correct Alkiline diet is very important. Go buy a book on Acid Alkiline food guide. Know whats acidic whats Alkiline. If you find a suspicious trigger food you can cut it out immidialty to see if you feel better. 

However I do not agree with ines6375 on cutting out the meats, no butter or any other animal product which are esentially acidic foods but they are also our source of protein which is highly vital for growth, repair and function of all living cells. Theya re the building blocks of life. This is very vegetarians are gonna go nuts but to hell with them as they are wrong. Pure vegiterian diet is a time bomb. I know as I used to be one for 20 years. All of the foods should be consumed especially the animal prodcts and things that have high acidty as they are good for you but they need to be consumed in proportion with alkaline foods. I also diagree with ines6375 not including the nuts in her diet. Very very wrong.. Nuts are highyl nutriciuos and contaian essential amino acids. Yes some nuts like peanuts, hazel nuts, peacans and so on are acidic the other are alkaline but they still need to consumed in small amounts. And Tofu!!!! really tofu is made from soya, incredibly acidic not to mention is genetically modifed like hell. its not food its posison. Anyways I do not want to pick on ines6375 but wrong advice should not be given if you not really fully researched and tested these foods and knowing whats in high in acid and whats alkaline to neautrulise is the key to better stomach health.

Anywasy summirizin this long post is eating acid forming foods you also must consume high alkine food next to it. Example: if you eat a nice juicy hamburger with fried chips, lots fo relish or ketchup is a recepie for a long suffering night. Only thing that might save you from this acid nuclear bomb is jalepeno peppers if you happened to have them in your burgers, yes its weird isnt it! Jalepeno peppers are alkiline. Althoug patatoes are alkine food but if you fry them they become very acidic. Example for a balanced burger: Nice hamburger with mustard rather than ketchup or tomatoe based relish, sweet papatoes, nort fried but owne baked or ordinary patatoes might be a better choice. Its all about percentages.

I forgot to mention I also included parsley in my every meal. in case of I miss the percentages. Parsley is gods gift. 

Alkaline water helps of course but its a big scam. Alkaline water does not last more than 48 hours.  You go figure this out how loing the bottles waith on the shelves etc. Dont waste your money. Also dont waste your money on water prufires also do not work. Just but cheap bottles water or tap water, 2 liters, cut of a lemon in to eight chuck them into your water keep 8 to 12 hours add a little himalayan pink slat here is your alkaline water. I finally bought what I had been looking for yesterday and bought 8 litres lemonade bottle with a tap!!!! I have leon water with a hint of cucucumber on the go 24/7. 

I really hope this is omehwta hopefull to someone. Any personal questions are wellcome as I know how nasty it is this thing and If I can  help one perosn I sleep better. biggrin

• Posted

I have been suffering from GERD : no sleep, sore throad and nose. And tried all anti-acid medicine, tried different doctors and  still does not work. Eating and breathing  these are the basic two needs for commonn living , but I feel difficult now. where is the hope? Life has no quality at all! where is the help??????.....
  • Posted

Thank you all for sharing.  I feel better just knowing I'm no alone. I'm going to try the diet. Wish me luck.  

I am very nervous. Does that contribute to the heartburn?

• Posted

Have you had your acid level check and your les check by a gi and also I heard that low stomach acid can give you acid reflux
  • Posted

If you enjoy tea - which is a big reflux trigger - try moving over to Rooibos tea. It is part of the legume family, not the normal camillia tea family. They often prescribe a Rooibos tea for babies with colic - known and used to help sooth reflux issues. I am not a huge fan of herbal teas - like my milky teas too much ! Love rooibos tea with almond milk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.