Feeling like I can't breathe

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am tapered down to 1.25mg and can't seem to get off this horrible drug. Every time I try to stop I feel like I can't breathe and nausea is horrific. Anyone else have similar withdrawals?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Which dose were you on when you started tapering?what is your taper pattern?how long did you taper?once I know above information ,I can tell you how can you get of this drug.
    • Posted

I've how been on for about a year. Highest dose ever on was 10mg. I have been going between 2.5 & 1.25 For about 3 momths.

• Posted

Has anyone else had breathing problems coming off?
    • Posted

Search Tapering olanzapine in the forum surviving antidepressants.Reduce .625 every four weeks.Altering doses will be heavy on your central nervous system.I am tapering .625 every four weeks from 5 m.g.Buy 2.5 mg tablets ,and stabilize on 2.5 couple of months.Then start tapering. Make four pieces from 2.5 m.g by using pill cutter,which is available online.first month 3 pieces,second month 2 pieces,last month 1 piece.Then stop.best wishes on your taper.
  • Posted

Hi yeah I had the thing where you feel like you have to consciously force yourself to breathe or you'll just stop but that's all in your mind. Just keep going but take it as slow as possible. Just remember you'll feel so much better once you're finally free from this drug and it will be worth it.

• Posted

Jeremy ,after your taper,are you experienced remembering dreams and sleep disturbance due to dreams?How is your sleep now?
    • Posted

My sleep is fine now. It took quite a while to get back to normal and I did have very vivid dreams and some nights felt like I was awake most of the night. I tried lots of different herbal remedies but none of them really worked properly. It just takes time for your brain to adjust to being without olanzapine. Something that I do take which I think helps is magnesium at night which helps your mood as well as helping sleep slightly.
    • Posted

Thank you Jeremy,your reply is very helpful.God bless you.
    • Posted

I'm not really sure quite a while. Thing is you just get used to it so it just stops being an issue after a while and goes away. Like i said it's in your mind

• Posted

Dear Jeremy

What are the other medications you were in when you were tapering olanzapine?what are the medications you are in now?I am using tryhexiphenidyl for not getting adverse effects from olanzapine and bvitamins for brain stamina.

• Posted

I'm not on any medication at all. I was only on olanzapine because I couldn't get off it. I do take magnesium though because it's meant to help with sleep

• Posted

I was on 5 mg.I bought 2.5 mg pills.I started reducing 0.625 every month.Now I am at 2.5 mg.When I reach 0.625 mg I will use that small crumb for one month and will jump to zero.Is this ok ?am I Tapering in proper way?
  • Posted

Hello, my mother was on this drug and went into diabetic ketoacidosis, was hospitalized, where they stopped the olanzapine cold turkey. She went into cardiac arrest.

When she got out of the hospital, they put her on some other drug (Lativa?) I cant remember. When she stopped the Lativa, she coincidentally had A-fib pretty severely and had to be hospitalized. 

I’ve read enough on the these sites to suspect her cardiac arrest was caused by withdrawal from the okanzapine. 

I took her to acupuncture and a chiropractor, and the arrhythmia is no longer an incapacitating problem.  I now treat her almost completely with herbs and supplements for her many geriatric conditions. The exception being cold medicine from the drug store, since flegm is so difficult for her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.