Feeling like I have something in my rectum... IBS?

Posted , 25 users are following.

I am 29 yo. For the past month I've felt like I have something in my rectum, like I haven't emptied it completely and I have a piece of something stuck in there.

Sometimes I can even feel a sort of tickling there, it's very annoying and disturbing. I feel it more when I focus on it and this symptom started after I've been paying attention to my BMs because I thought I saw bits of red in it (which were proven to be food). But the feeling of fullness, tightness and foreign body inside persists. Some days it's better, but in the last 4 days it's almost constant.

I don't have diarrhea or constipation, just gas and minor bloating in my colon. I go around 2-3 times a day but the feeling persists even after a BM. And it's more noticeable when I stand up.

I also had this feeling last October after a bout of diarrhea and it lasted a couple of weeks and disappeared. And it started again this January after being stressed over my BMs.

Is this feeling common to IBS? Or maybe hemms? I'm a huge hypochondriac and worry about having a polyp or a cancer there.

My last colonoscopy was 4 1/2 years ago and nothing found.

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Rebecca, sorry to hear that you are worried.

Let me say at the outset that Hypochondriasis is the very thing that you do not need at this time, as it can only make you feel worse with worry, and take longer to sort-out.

Clearly you are concerned about the syptoms that you are experiencing, but you must know that the correct procedure is to seek the advice of your GP as soon as possible.

We humans can be slaves to worry, which in itself has no useful purpose.

I am certain that once you have your doctor's diagnosis and start any treatment if any is actually necessary, then you will feel much happier.

So to recap then, firstly stop worrying about something that may well be nothing, and second, make an appointment with your GP as soon as possible.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer. I have made an appointment with a gastro, but it won't be until Thursday. In the meantime I can just hold on but I feel overcome by worry.

I wanted to know if at least it SOUNDS like IBS / maybe hemmorhoids and not cancer.

• Posted

It could be IBS, but then again it could be hemmeroids or a fistula if there is a small abmount of associated bleeding.

Then again it might be one of the many persistent tummy bugs that are going around at the moment.

I am fairly certain that it is NOT cancer Rebecca.

I know that it easy to say but not easy to do, but I really really would not worry yourself about this.

Just wait until you have the test results from your the doctor. 

• Posted

Just for peace of mind go to your doctor and ask if you can have another colonoscopy, especially as it's been 4.1/2 years since the last time.
    • Posted

I did ask him a couple of months ago. He said there's no reason and no indication to have another colonoscopy. The first one was diagnostic for IBS and I don't have to repeat it, because I'm too young.
    • Posted

The doctors can be a  nuisance....!! See a different one..!! I have the same problem. They try to save money for the surgery they work at!!
    • Posted

Lol, I've seen 4 doctors. I'm a hypochondriac. Maybe they're right and I don't need a colonoscopy. But at least a digital rectal exam they can do.
  • Posted

I have those symptoms a lot with my IBS w/diarrhea. Mine is usually because I either have a hemmerhoid and end up using Preparation H suppositories, or it's because due to my Fibromyalgia I don't have the strength to actually push out all of the bowel that needs to come out. It's definitely normal to have that feeling with IBS, at least that's been my experience. 
    • Posted

Thank you. I don't have the diarrhea, but still get this feeling. Do hemorrhoids always bleed? Because I don't have any blood on the stool, I looked. 
    • Posted

No, in fact I have chronic hemmerhoids from my IBS and they only bleed when I've gone 15+ times in a day or when they get rubbed too hard, such as with toilet paper. 
    • Posted

Have you tried sitting in a hot bath when it gets rough like thet.??
  • Posted

Yes,...that annoying feeling is common in the rear part; but it comes and goes.!! Do some floor exercises....or cycle to make the lower part of the body move ..so that you can empty your bowel with a bit of ease. I cannot promise ,but it helps a bit!!
    • Posted

It's a good idea, I'll try this until Thursday.
  • Posted

My symptoms started similarly. Feeling there was something that needed to be got rid of. It turned out I had a gallstone. Might be worth having an ulatrsound scan to see if you have gallstones.

Try not to worry and I hope it clears up for you. Sarah

• Posted

Sarah, you had a gallstone inside the rectum? I didn't know you could pass them like this.

Now that you mention it, I've had a lot of black debris in my stool lately, that looks like small, black pepper-like hard flecks and I'm wondering if it would be small gallstones or gall-sand (does that exist?). 

I was worried that it might be dried blood, but they don't dissolve in water or peroxide and they're hard, so that can't be it.

• Posted

I remembered now I had an ultrasound about 1 month ago but the gallbladder looked clear.
    • Posted

Rebeccaj,

Did you end up finding out what was going on? I'm having the same feeling, so just wondering.

• Posted

No the gallstone was not in the rectum but the gallbladder. Had my gallbladder removed at end of April.

Sorry my biology is not great but I think it is actually possible to pass a small gallstone in your stool. In which case it would be in rectum?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.