Feeling like I have something in my rectum... IBS?

Posted , 25 users are following.

I am 29 yo. For the past month I've felt like I have something in my rectum, like I haven't emptied it completely and I have a piece of something stuck in there.

Sometimes I can even feel a sort of tickling there, it's very annoying and disturbing. I feel it more when I focus on it and this symptom started after I've been paying attention to my BMs because I thought I saw bits of red in it (which were proven to be food). But the feeling of fullness, tightness and foreign body inside persists. Some days it's better, but in the last 4 days it's almost constant.

I don't have diarrhea or constipation, just gas and minor bloating in my colon. I go around 2-3 times a day but the feeling persists even after a BM. And it's more noticeable when I stand up.

I also had this feeling last October after a bout of diarrhea and it lasted a couple of weeks and disappeared. And it started again this January after being stressed over my BMs.

Is this feeling common to IBS? Or maybe hemms? I'm a huge hypochondriac and worry about having a polyp or a cancer there.

My last colonoscopy was 4 1/2 years ago and nothing found.

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi there. this is something called tenesmus - the feeling of imcomplete emtying of the rectum. its very common in ~IBS and other bowel conditions and is completely harmless. its just a nerve spasm.

hope that helps

• Posted

I have this symptom to.  I use glycerine suppository, they are over the counter & parents have used them for babies ( never did). You may want to consult your MD. 

• Posted

I sure wish we could see the "final result" of these threads. Going through the same and just wish I could see some possibilities as to what it actually was from. Going to the dr Wednesday if no better. Using cream inside and outside but no relief yet

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,

I have started experiencing the same thing. Did you find out what yours was? Did the doctor say anything about rectal prolapse?

• Posted

I just last week went to my GI dr. He confirmed I had two large internal hemorrhoids creating that pressure and "stuck" feeling. He prescribed a much better suppository and it's much better!

• Posted

Well that's good news! My pressure is gone but I still feel like something is in there just at the edge of my 'exit' but inside. I don't have any itching or bleeding. I hope, like you, mine is just a hemmorhoid....

• Posted

That's exactly what mine felt like. Once I actually saw the dr, it wasn't bothering me as much and he could still see them, so they just take time to lose the swelling.

• Posted

Hello,I am not sure whether i have prolapse or hemorrhoids. Whenever i strain my anus it get swallowed peripherally for around 1 cm height. But then gets back in as soon as i stop straining. In your case was it peripherally? I mean all over the anus?
    • Posted

Mine always went back in.  A prolapse will look very smooth and one large piece.  It will look like the rectum coming out.  Hemorrhoids will look more like swelling and small bulges all around.  I think we become so obsessed with things when they feel different that we notice things that have maybe always been that way, but we now are looking way more closely than before.  
    • Posted

Mine looks like a smooth ad one large piece. You got me more worried now. I went to doctors but i think they misdiagnosed my case because they didnt ask me to strain at all. But i think this is the point. To strain. So until my next meeting i wont be sleep at all
    • Posted

Hey anton, what did you find out? I have the similar feelings. What did your doctor say?

-Thanks in advance

• Posted

Hey Lindsey, What did you find out? Please advise if you know the answer to my below question. This is what i have: 

"Hello guys, Hope everyone is doing well. From last few days, i am experiencing the same issue. It feels like there is something in my rectum. I ca't say a ball, but it feels like there is some pressure built in the rectal area. Feels like gaseous ball kind of thing. I ave the similar symptoms as you guys do. I just wondering whats going on. Have anyone of you heard back from your doctors? What did you guys find out? I am really worried and want to find out from you guys what's going on. Reply from anyone of you would be a sight of relief for me.

?Please advise. "

• Posted

Hi guys, I've had a similar feeling for the past week and I've been scouring the internet all week trying to figure out what is going on. I woke up last week in the night needing the Lol, pushed but nothing happened. Assumed I had constipation but I was still going to the loo it was just runny and lose. I have a constant pressure like I need to trump or go to the loo but when I do there's nothing there. It's not painful it's like a tickling sensation. It's driving me mad. Gonna give it a few more days and then go to my doctors. Been a week now and still no let up. No blood in stool either and no idea what it could be.

• Posted

Did you find out? I have just posted my query. I have the same feelings as you have. Please let me know what did you find out ad what did your doctor say?

-Thanks in advance

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.