Feeling lonely and sad, anxiety and low mood

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, I come onto this site a few days ago. I've been dealing with anxiety and low mood since August and have tried natural remedies but was unsuccessful. My dr prescribed me sertaline which I was reluctant to take even though I'd been on it before a few years ago, my anxiety is a little different this time. I had panic attacks and found it difficult being in crowded places but this time I'm not as bad in crowded places and I haven't had many panic attacks either but it's still the worse. I have 2 children so still need to get up and sort them out plus I'm self employed so have to go to work otherwise no pay. I'd love to be able to stay in bed all day until I felt better but that's not going to happen. I'm married but recently been going through some difficulties and not sure if we will stay together which makes my anxiety even worse. We haven't really spoken and today he packed his things and went down south (that's where he works and stays) said he was miserable and needed to get away. So I'm left on my own with my 2 kids on New Year's Eve. 

Started taking sertaline on Monday so been on it 6 days and it's heighten my anxiety which is not great. I'm on 25mg as I told the dr I wanted to start slow but she told me to go Upto 50mg within a week so I'm taking 50mg tomorrow I'm just hoping that my side effects don't get any worse as I'm on my own now. 

Sorry for going on just needed to get it off my chest and if anyone wants to message me feel free 

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Michelle so sorry your having such a bad time of it. I don't take same meds as you so I hope yours picks you up. I found keeping busy helps I know you feel tired but once kids in bed put some tunes on something a bit lively and then just potter. I used too paint the house when kids slept and was anxious many a night my kids fell asleep too meatloaf and paint fumes. My kids all grown up now and they're grand what we all suffer doesn't mean our kids do. I will be 50 next month and have taken meds for over twenty years you have good days and bad days but the bad days should lessen. Take all the help you can get find out if a mental health group is near you. I went to one but I've moved now it was great being with people who you didn't have too pretend with.

Good luck in 2017

• Posted

Thank you Gwen63228 for your message. I know my kids are my world so I try and be ok for them. It's so hard when you start meds tho I just keeping thinking few more weeks and I'll start feeling better, just differcult and with my 'relationship' problems it doesn't help. The kids were out before when my husband left, they asked where he was when got back and where upset that he didn't say goodbye, breaks my heart.

I need to just focus on getting better.

I'm glad you have something that works for you and you've managed to get through it all.

All the best for 2017 xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle

​It may be that your husband is under a strain due to work etc. He would not wish to hurt you or the children and just upped and went as he had work on his mind. I know my  husband has done thoughtless things at times.

Perhaps if you explained that to your children they would be less upset. I am sure that they know their father loves them and you.

​Can u ring your hubby and wish him a Happy New Year and tell him you understand do you think? That may settle things down for everyone. Try not to worry. Marriage is full of ups and downs.

• Posted

I don't think it was work related. He told me beginning of his leave that he wasn't sure he was happy anymore with us, said he still loves me but not sure what is going to happen.

I don't think I'll phone him as doubt he would answer me anyway, once some space alone but he works away only back every other weekend anyway so it's not like we are always together.

Will get through it and thank you for your messages.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I did not wish to interfere in your relationship because that would be wrong.

​I have been through very difficult times marrigage wise and have come to realise that some men can be very selfish indeed. My husband also worked away from home and it makes things a little strained because when the two of you get together you feel like strangers at first by the time you start to relax he is gone again.

Very frustrating. My husband cleared off once on Christmas Day!!

How devastating is that.

Never mind. Thats men for you!!

However things worked out. I see that  you are

• Posted

No it is fine, I appreciate your advice and your kind words.

Yes it can be strained but never been this bad before, will just leave him too it for awhile. Was supposed to be off the rest of this week so it's a shame for the kids.

That's not good about Christmas Day, are you still with him?

• Posted

Hi

​Yes we are stilltogether, it happened several year ago. At the time you feel that you can never forgive but later realise the disadvantages of being alone.

It could be that your hubby is tired with the travelling. He feels exhausted mentally andphysically. Where abouts are you?

• Posted

I'm glad you got through it.

It could be possible but when I started feeling abit strange. I told him I felt in a rut and was getting tired of being on my own.

He was ok and said about us going down to see him etc etc but now he's changed, he said that because I said about the being in a rut that it has made a crack and that he's been thinking if he's happy or not

I live near Chester, how about you?

• Posted

Hi

I am not far away from Chester about 45 miles .

Quiete honestly and I do not wish to interfere in your mrriage but my gut feeling is that your hubb is suimply picking up on what you said about  feeling in a rut. He sounds sensitive and he may be trying to express his feelings in a way that is not very pleasant but he does not know how to handle things emotionally. I think he is feeling guilty at leaving you and the children and that he could not face up to saying goodbye or au revoir to them.

I also think he is tired and that is why he went back to avoid heavy traffic etc. I do not know if he drove back or took the train/bus etc.

There is a lot of fog in the South so he may have been worrying a lot about the bad weather.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.