Feeling mehhhh

Posted , 7 users are following.

Went to see an endocronologist because docs refused to medicate because my TSH was under 10 even though it was 7.79. Endo said I should of been on meds years ago according to medical records. My antibodies were positive too? He started me on 25 mcg. Been increased to 50mcg. Felt a bit better but the last few weeks feeling worse. I've read on here that it happens because thyroid gets lazy etc. This makes me feel a bit better knowing that its normal to be feeling like this. The thing is.. I feel so lazy! I just about get up of a morning, I wish the days away because I feel slightly better as the day goes on. I am a qualified nurse but I can't apply for any jobs due to me being so tired all the time. I fantasize  about having energy and doing normal stuff. Its so out of character for me. I sit around all day, I'm anxious, down on myself and generally down in the dumps all the time. (Also out of character) I've put 2 stone on and turn down invitations. (Definitely not like me) People think I've gone off them. I've been on a Gluten and Dairy free diet for 2 weeks. I'm hoping my Thyroxine will be increased when I go in 2 weeks. Does this sound normal. I'm boring myself when I tell my husband how bad I feel. I use to be so lively, slim, happy, full of life and now I feel awful. Sorry for the depressing post. I suppose I just wanted some reassurance that things will get better. 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,it's perfectly normal to feel like this,it will continue to be that way on and off you will have some very good days then others you will feel terrible fatigue,when the thyroxine (which I assume you are taking) help with symptoms and you will then be able to control your weight,
    • Posted

Thank you Ann, it's a relief that its normal. I'll plod on with this in mind. 
    • Posted

Things you can do to help kick start your metabolism: (1) have a hot bath (2) do some exercise (last thing you'll want to do, but if you can, it helps. Whether these work will depend on your levels. If they are too low, being a sloth is the best thing. Does though depend on how

(3) Despite the cravings, try to eat healthily.

Good luck - it will get better.

• Posted

Yep - all perfectly normal. You are NOT being lazy, a car won't go without fuel. Ditto bodies. It will get better. Just hang in there. (Have you thought about showing hubbie this discussion? It might help him understand.)
  • Posted

Oh thank you Barbara. Just reading that makes me feel better.i haven't heard of the hot bath one. I always get a shower. Definitely do that. I'll do anything. Haha

• Posted

Hi Eviewol,  I am an RN and live in USA.  I suffer with Hashimoto's Disease.  TSH level alone is bad to rely on. They need to test for T3 & T4 levels each.  Also you need to have B-12 level tested as fatigue is big with low B12 level. Also Vit D is common to go low in thyroid patients and also mineral panel like sodium, magnesium, potassium and iron.  All of these need to be correct in the body.  Please see a good Endocrinologist as they know about gland problems and a GP may not be as good about this. You may swing high and low at times as your body adjusts to the new med.  You need to give it time to work in yor body as the meds can take weeks to build a PROPER level.  Log your progress and any bad symptoms down and show the doctor at your next appt.  I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Addedendum to Eviewol,   If you can do some mild walking say around the block for a start, you will see your energy come back. Walking is a very good and simple exercise, and I lost 30 pounds doing it. You start slow but later you can increase it. Move your biggest meal to lunchtime, and eat light at night.  Avoid high carbs as it does not help with weight loss and zaps energy.  Drink a lot of water and keep hydrated as it helps flush toxins from the body.  take your med every day and don't miss a dose.  Weigh yourself but don't get hung up on it, as you feel better you will see your body respond. You have been low for a while and it takes a bit of time to get it back. I hope this helps.
  • Posted

I can really empathise with you!  All that you describe is exactly how I have been for the past 6 weeks.  I am worried about my job as I have been off work now for 6 weeks due to severe exhaustion, feeling unwell with no energy or inclination to do anything, which has resulted in me putting on even more weight than I have already since being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 2 years ago.  I have had my Levothyroxine increased 4 weeks ago, but only feel very slightly better.  I now worry as I have tremors throughout my body, heart palpatations intermittently and dizzy spells.  Can anyone tell me if this may be due to the increase in meds and will subside eventually (although I have now had the increase to 75mcg for the past 4 weeks), or if there may be another cause?  I am so worried that I will never feel 'normal' again and as I am getting married in just over two months I am desperate to get my energy back.  I used to be such a fun-loving, bubbly person with a positive attitude to life, but that's all gone now!!! 
    • Posted

Hello Kimberley:

Your level sounds high.  Give it a chance to adjust and if you do not feel better call the doctor.  Some of the symptoms sound like Hyper and it can change and slow down.  Doc's start low and then change it but it can take time up to a month for people to feel better and keep a log of it.  Please call doctor if no improvement seen. You may need a lower dose. Watch carbs & exercise a little. 

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

Thank you for your reply.  It really helps to hear some sound advice from someone who has an understanding of this condition.

I feel tempted to reduce my dose myself and see how I get on, my doc just tells me to continue on this higher dose, but it cannot be right with all the side-effects I'm experiencing.

Thanks once again!!!

• Posted

Hello Kimberley: You could try to reduce it down a bit and see what happens.  Since your body has had the Levothyroxine in it a while and then you have a higher dose, it can take a while for it to even out. 

Nobody knows your body better than YOU!  If you feel bad on the new dose, cut the tablet in half and try that.  See your thyroid (in people without thyroid disease), regulates itself and delivers the horomone as needed throughout the day in small amts.  The pills are not timed released and you get a bolus dose and the body has to make it work until your next dose. 

I have had to lower the dose once and I told the doctor, I felt better.  the problem is Doctor's are not able to give us in between doses, and tend to stick with certain levels like 25 mcg, 50 mcg, 75mcg and not 35 mcg!!!

You are the only one who will know if you feel better or not - so if you want to lower it - try it out. I hope this helps.

• Posted

I had this when I was put up to 100 mcg try taking the 75 one day and 50 the next for a while see if this helps and if so then after a week or two try 75 for two days and 50 for the next and work it that way until you are a week on 75 and then is should be fine as the dose gets higher sometimes you have to learn to increase slower as your body start to reach it optimum level.
    • Posted

Good advice. I found chopping the 25mcg tablet into quarters worked for me. If asked to up the dose by 25mcg, i would increase it by 6.25mcg for two days, then by another 6.25mcg for another 2 days etc. until I was on the new recommended dose. This way it takes a week to get the dose up by 25mcg but you avoid the swings of over over/under-active symptoms.
  • Posted

Ditto! Started on levoT 8 months ago, felt brighter and got some of my mojo back quickly. Had been putting on weight, so when the 25mcg made no difference, I upped the dose to 50. The weight has steadily crept on, and im now clinically obese, from having been a healthy size 12. Ive joined a gym, go swimming, walking, do fitness classes and eat healthily. I only feel good when I dont have to face the world, would be happy to shut myself away. I had read on this site that levo can actually make you put on weight, so have gone back to 25 mcg recently. I look in the mirror and dont recognise myself. Going through menopause too, so hot flushes, fatness, aches and pains etc etc. Im miserable but not depressed. Going to have my hormone levels checked tomorrow for the first time. Even stopped taking glucosamine as I read it can make you insulin resistant. I really wish I could offer good advice, but Wishing you well, and keep us posted of your progress.
    • Posted

Hello Debbie:

Our thyroids control a number of functions in the body.

1.Metabolism

2. Temperature

3. Ability to have a period/egg ripen/etc..

4. Mood

5. Energy

Now if it is low, it is like a car running out of gas.  If it is high, you lose weight and look like you are concentration camp victim.  The thyroid makes 2 horomones and they need to be at the correct levels. T3 & T4 are the horomones.

It is hard as heck to lose weight, you need to watch carbs.  it sounds like you exercise which is great.  Being sleepy and tired will sometimes go down when level in the blood is correct. Doctor's start slow and low dose it, then they up it. You must have blood draws and then they up it a little at a time.  It gives the body a chance to adjust.  it can take 6-8 weeks in some people, others only a few weeks to feel better. 25 mcg is low so give your NEW dose a chance. 

Keep a log of symptoms and bring it with you to next appt. It will help show the doctor the symptoms are still there. 

Yes, some thyroid meds can make you gain weight, it only replaces the horomone and some people feel more hungry since their level is normal.  Move a heavy meal to lunch time and eat lighter after that for dinner etc... have a snack but not sweets.  Is your blood glucose okay?  Blood sugar goes wacko in some thyroid patients. That will make you eat as blood sugar levels drop.  It is hard to balance all of this.  I know.  I am an RN and live in USA.  I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks Shelly. Im getting my bloods taken this morning. GP thinks its to do with menopause rather than thyroid. I know that whats happening to my body is not simply a calories in and out imbalance. It all feels unnatural, like I need to pull a plug, my body feels out of control. I will keep a log of how I feel, have been doing an exercise one anyway, so will add to that. Carb intake ok, generally eat a low carb diet but with rice and potatoes occasionally. I just wonder how this will end. Maybe I will just burst? 😳
    • Posted

Hello Debbie,   I hear you loud and clear.  Menopuase is another whammy we gals have to deal with and I am 54, and have been going through peri-menopause since about 50. 

The main symptoms of menopause can cause night sweats, hot flushes that hit you in the chest on up the neck area. Tiredness, and mood swings and weight gain can happen. 

Menopause can take years to go through.  Some women can start as early as age 38!  Most of us are say 49-53, but it does vary from women to women.  Glad you had your blood work done, and in some strange way, I 'm glad they feel it is menopause symptoms. Keep a log, it helps.  I know we all are in the same boat.  I like to use some humor and say I am making a list so when I get to heaven, I can be taken to the complaint line first.  Keep in touch, Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly. I think we should have a whole holiday resort for meno ladies to chill out. Id be first on the plane! X
    • Posted

Debbie, That is so funny!   I would go also!  We need to laugh about it, it reduces stress. Middle age sucks!  LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.