Feeling of burp stuck in back of throat and in diaphragm

Posted , 32 users are following.

Does anyone experience a feeling of a burp or lump stuck in the back of throat that also is felt in the diaphragm at times either simultaneously or separately. It’s usually worse after eating and comes and goes. Burping doesn’t reallt relieve it. I’m just trying to figure out if this is just acid reflux or something more like a motility issue where my food isn’t going down properly. It started a two months ago just in my diaphragm and slowly moved up to my throat as well. The pressure is no longer as bad in my diapraghm but is still there at times especially after eating. My diet had been very bland this whole time but I am

Able to eat more then I could in the beginning. I occasionally have heartburn but this feeling is different just a lump in the throat or pressure in the diaphragm like a trapped burp.  I also experience a lot of phlegm and pressure in my ears when I feel the lump in my throat. I just want to make sure it’s not something more the acid reflux so I don’t get back on a ppi unnecessarily. 

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I started having the symptoms that all of you have mentioned i.e. feeling of air trapped in throat. In addition I also had some nausea and vomiting. After about a week I consulted my doctor who said that this is a condition called Globus which was acting along with GERD and suspected that I have an iron deficiency. My blood test results confirmed that. If you haven't already, then please get the Ferritin blood test to rule this possibility out.

• Posted

Is there any updates? I have been experiencing the same symptoms since last week. It gives me anxiety. Especially at night, I feel like someone is choking me. The clogged ears make it worse.

• Posted

I was just wondering if anyone found out what was really going on with all their symptoms cuz I've been having all the same symptoms plus more. Don't currently have insurance so can't see a doctor. For me it started with burps getting stuck but now it's food as well. I had my gallbladder removed in August 2020 I also was diagnosed with Her Pylori in 2008 and still have it to this date. Not sure if either one of those actually have any thing to do with what's going on with me but really stressed out and getting depressed cuz it's affecting my quality of life. please message back if any one has figured out what's going on

• Edited

Hi, you might find this surprising but I believe it can be anxiety related / induced or muscle spasm related. I have this same feeling often, even very acidic taste in my mouth but usually only when I think I have it and I focus on it for a little while. Try to break out of it and see if its correlated in any way to your mood, notice if you feel it more when you might think you're having it, or when your mood is down (especially if you are generally worried about it and you know the symptoms that people feel normally). You probably don't have this when your mood is up or when you do something that gives you positive emotions. I often try to fight it with my brain by forcing myself to believe that I don't have anything and that I am making it up and in a couple of seconds the symptoms go away fully, or I try to redirect the pain and imagine I am feeling it somewhere else in the body. So notice if that makes it go way, if it its that then its anxiety related, I know it feels very real but there's actual studies that show how you throat becomes more sensitive (mentally) and then gives you these sensations or triggers some of the nerves/ muscles that make you feel this way. But please do the necessary medical investigations either way, even for your piece of mind! Please try it, its been quite a revelation for me! All the best!

• Posted

Not sure of this will help anyone but i have had all the same symptoms and had every test in the book done. Decided to have my back looked at and my back shows irregularities that can affect nerves associated with my stomach and esophagus. May be something to consider if you have trued every other avenue.

• Posted

Hey Chandra, I have been feeling the same from past 4 months. It started off with gastritis for a week, then it was all ok and there was no acidity. Later on it felt like a ball of air stuck in my diaphragm. I wanted to burp it out. I also have a dry cough because of that feeling, and gasses rumbling around in the tummy. I got sonography done and it was normal. Someone suggested endoscopy, but I am not too sure about it. Please tell me more on how you proceeded and how are you doing now?

• Posted

got my endoscopy done, turns out i had non erosive antral gastritis. got some heavy medication for the same. please get endoscopy soon as it helps. thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.