Feeling really low

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all

Me again....just 9 weeks post op today ....RTKR ...was doing well overall ....then had a major life event 4 weeks post op when my Mum died...feel really flat at the mo....just struggling....my knee is coming on ...slowly I feel....but it takes all my strength and will to do my exercises twice daily....I'm back in the gym a few days a week...have to make myself go...just back into the pool...my knee is straight....not sure about bend but it's over 90....still very stiff...and painful at times..I'm experiencing some different pain like calve pain, pain at back of knee when walking..which bothers me......am I really unrealistic to think I'd be better by now....further on....but my iron is really low, I've no energy and my mood is v flat....maybe it's just grief too that has me feeling so awful....I'm supposed to be getting ready to go back to work but I'm not ready yet.....physically and mentally.....thanks for listening...

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry to hear of your loss....

Around ten week mark I felt very low...seems common.

Dontvworry about all the different pains...it is par for the course.

You are doing well....

Be kind to yourself and let others help you and support you.

The tiredness makes low feeling worse so get the rest you need.

Sounds like you are doing well.

Around 12 weeks when swelling reduces a lot bend improves.

Try and do nice things and accept what you cannot do.

Sending good wishes

• Posted

Sorry about your mother. That alone can be to much then add the stress of recovery its no wonder you are feeling down.

You are exactly where you should be recovery wise. Recovery is an individual process so don't get hung up by comparing yourself to others. Look up Chico Marx he has many helpful posts. I have found him extremely helpful on this journey. Try some of the exercises he's recommended, should help with calve pain. need to build up muscles as well as work rom. 

• Posted

HI Linda. Very sorry about your mum. It's tough to go thru knee surgery and the loss of a loved one. It's like a double issue to cope with. Both grief and knee recovery take a lot of energy to cope with mentally and physically . Some days were down other up it can be a heck of a roller coaster ride. Your doin very well with knee recovery and I hope that in time you will be back to a better quality of life from knee surgery. 

Many healing bessings sent sent your way.

hugs

Hope

• Posted

It is never easy to lose a parent.  I lost my mother in 1999.   I don't know how you are managing with the passing of your mother and dealing with the *&^%$ of a TKR.    Friday I will be at 10 weeks and feeling so frustrated by my lack of progress I am struggling with motivation to do much of anything.  I told my PT that I felt like a crazy person, doing the same thing everyday expecting a different outcome when there isn't.   My wound hasn't healed so no pool for me.   Some days all the good encouragement on this site helps...other days...nothing helps.  

If you can manage, put off work for a while and just take care of yourself.  

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your loss.  Grief hits us in all sorts of ways.  You need to give yourself time and be kind to yourself right now because of your loss as well as because of your knee.  I’m not at all surprised you don’t feel ready to go back to work.  Can you take some more time off? 
  • Posted

So sorry to hear about your Mum Linda. Grief alone is exhausting, allied to a TKR recovery I am not surprised you feel the way you do. Unfortunately neither grief or TKR recovery have quick fixes. You just have to keep on putting one foot in front of the other until things improve.

TBH you are doing well in your TKR recovery, it isn't easy as we all know on this forum, but you are getting there, & when you need to vent we are always here.

Meantime try to give yourself a little treat or two. Buy yourself something nice or treat yourself to cake once in a while. (We had a discussion last year on the efficacy of cake & chocolate in TKR recovery. We decided the NHS should give prescriptions for it! Lol). Look forward to being able to walk without pain in the summer, or going on holiday. Just look forward.....

I wish you all the best 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Linda I am so sorry about your mother. This surgery alone makes you feel isolated. Please talk to someone about all this. I am praying for you. Regarding your pain in different places, that is normal. I had my right knee surgery in 2011 and I remember having pain just suddenly start in the places you mentioned. This happened on and off for about 6 months. My left knee surgery was March 7, 2018 and is so different. It seems harder. When you are healed you will be so glad you did it.

Don't isolate yourself. Please find family or a friend to grieve with. Or a gross forum. You can pour out your feelings. God bless you.

• Posted

I’m so so sorry about your mum. It’s hard enough when you have just need to concentrate on recovering without the grieving process to deal with.. sod work if you can you are not ready your gp should be working with you

look after yourself and be kind to yourself too but don’t lose sight of exercise it’s so important 

take care

• Posted

Hi Linda so sorry to hear this. Two life changing events is a hard call and you really have to be good to yourself. Motivation is hard at the best of times when you feel so flat and in pain. I would do a little and often and enjoy your trips to the Gym and be very proud of your achievements there. Don't overdo it that will only make it more painful and swollen. I hope your employer is empathetic towards you and I am sure your GP will be supportive.Well done, you are achieving great things. Onward and upward Linda. Hope we talk again

• Posted

Hi Linda! 

So sorry to hear about the passing of your mom. Such a hard thing to go through. Don’t worry about feeling low or flat that’s normal especially given the circumstances you’re in. Take it easy with yourself.  Listen to your body it will guide you. There are people on here that will give you such helpful advice re knee. I am 7 mos post op and still have some of the various aches and pains you describe but I understand that’s normal even this far out lol I just do the best I can and remain faithful to exercising while embracing this marathon. 

Wishing you continued success on this journey 💖

• Posted

Hi Linda.

Sorry for your loss which must have been heartbreaking for you. I too am nearly 9 weeks post RTKR and am still suffering stiffness and quite a lot of pain. My mood is often quite low and I wonder if the swelling will ever go down and I will feel ‘normal’ again. I had my other knee replaced 2 years ago and had forgotten how long the recovery takes. Stay positive, you will get there.

• Posted

Hi Linda

i am so sorry about you Mum.  It’s an awful time in your life to get over.  I just know when my mood is low, my pain is worse.  I’ve told my Psychiatrist this and he says it’s normal.  I can understand that you have to push yourself to do stuff like exercise etc.  grief has a terrible affect on all of us.  It sounds like you’re doing well with the new knee.  I wouldn’t be too concerned about your bend.  When I left hospital, mine was at 95.  I never had follow up with physio.  I exercised at home myself for a while, but then just stopped.  It’s been over 2yrs and I have no idea what my bend is on either knee.  I know I can bend them to get in and out my car easy enough, walk up/ down stairs and squat and kneel if I have to.  No pain in knees at all.   I know bending and straightening knee is important but I also feel people put too much emphasis on having a 110 degree bend etc. but that’s just my opinion.   As for your calf pain, I think this is pretty normal.  I remember mine shifting to different parts of my leg and have read many others have experienced the same.

i think you should get yourself emotionally right first, in your own time.  Take the time to grieve and get yourself medically fit too, then get back to doing what you have to do for your knee.  I really feel for you and again, I’m so sorry for your loss.

Best wishes

Sue xx

• Posted

First, we're very sorry to hear about your mother. Whether expected or not, it's always very hard to lose your mom.  Our condolences...

The only thing I can offer is the concept of separation.  Don't intermingle your family's grief with your TKR recovery, which is difficult just by itself.  You may feel depressed as a result of the surgery...post-operative depression is normal and happens to very many people.  The passing of your mom is also very depressing...but it is also normal and everyone who's lost their mother feels.  

My thought is not put one on top of the other and compound your feelings and moods.  Separate the two and deal with each in its own way, its own time.  Do not feel the weight of both on your head.  Instead, split the burden into both hands...work on one, then the other.  Carrying the total load at one time would be hard for anyone.  Try to see them as two different issues and, when working on one, devote 100% of yourself to it while you place the other temporarily aside.

It will be a tough for you in the short term.  Just survive it...be strong...handle each challenge separately...

• Posted

Chico such wise and universal advice. Thanks for offering it up. 
  • Posted

I’m nine weeks post pkr on my dominant leg . My pain level is a 4-5 every step I take . X-rays show new joint is perfectly in place but all my muscles and tendons seem to be so tight that my knee doesn’t want to bend . Overdid it weeks ago by aggressive P.T. Especially squats .
    • Posted

When you push the knee, it pushes back with swelling and pain.  You cannot do that.  A knee takes a long time to heal.  Have to do the PT for ROM and the exercises to rebuild quads, glutes and core...then stairs.  The whole thing takes a year.  Most people report "feeling more like my old self" around 9 months.  However...

Everyone is different.  Some (very few) skate right through this...some take longer.  You do not know where you "fell" (past tense) until you are recovered and can look back.

Nine weeks is still in the "pain zone"...the first three months are usually the worst.  Then you start feeling a lot better so that by six months, all the really bad crap is far behind you.  Stiffness and tightness can last 12-18 months but most of it should be history by your one-year anniversary.

Try these at home for ROM...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

#3 is KILLER but very effective.

Click on my name and then "See All Discussions"...I have 30 out there...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.