Feeling scared

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this site but just wanted to know if anyone has had constant bleeding I'm 51 and always had no probs with my periods but I had a couple of months without seeing anything then spotting then flooding with no sign of stopping been to docs and he gave me tabs to stop so I can have an internal next week I'm scared to death it's going to be bad news as anyone else been threw this x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Lorraine,  I'm 57 and I STILL have periods.  Until 2 years ago, I'd never had a single problem with periods, but then I missed a couple (normal at that age) then had terrible flooding for 3 weeks, until I saw a doctor, who prescribed Norethisterone to stop the periods, and iron tablets for the anaemia.    I was referred to a gynecologist who did an internal, an ultrasound of my uterus, and a biopsy of the uterine wall (painful but fairly quick).  Nothing untoward was found, and I was fitted with the coil, which is meant to help.  I found it to be very uncomfortable, and I had it removed after 2 weeks.  Since then, I've had the flooding/clots/period pains every few months, and have had all the same tests done a few times, with nothing found.  I'm resigned now to taking Norethisterone and/or Provera to stop the bleeding.  Surely this must all stop soon - I'll be 58 next April.  I sympathise with you, and I suggest you have all the tests the doctors want to do.  They check for anything cancerous.  Sure you'll be fine. Keep taking the tablets.

• Posted

hi i bled for over six months then in august i had loads of tests and scans and i had thick womb lining of 15 mm and some cysts, but the dr said everything else ok so they gave me norethisterone to take three times a day, i tryed to stop it but started to flood again in september so i started back on the pill then just friday gone i stoped it again and im now flooding again, im going to make an apointment with dr to see what to do and if i should just stay on it for ever i dont know. its terrible im 47 and im sick of it. last night i woke up id flooded allover bed and when i got up it was coming through my hands even thoe i had a pad on and down my legs alover place i nearly fainted had sweat poring off me felt terrible. then thismorning it happend again and i was supposed to be going out so i took one norethisterone and it stoped the flooding but im still bleeding so it helped wile i was out.

its hard i dont know wether to take another one tomorrow  and keep it as one pill a day to stop heavy bleeding thats why im going gp to see what to do as i cant take my kids school or anything wile flooding so bad i cant leave house so bad. this meno is horrid no one tells you its going to be so bad and it just happens like over night. i hate it.

• Posted

I really feel for you I hate it I get really scared when I lose large clots it is the same as a miscarriage so horrible x will find out Wednesday what's going on 😒

• Posted

I've been bleeding for 30 days straight. Dr gave me pills to stop (crossing my fingers!) but nothing yet. I'm 41 and guessing its the start of perimenopause? I go back in 2 weeks for ultrasound and possibly an endometrial biopsy. I was worried when i was flooding a few weeks ago but now light flow without clots so not as worried anymore. Bad headaches too.

• Posted

I got the "flooding" type periods shortly before menopause, at just about the age you are at now. At the time, I was shocked and thought I must be having a miscarriage.

• Posted

whino, did it go on for long? I am going through it now also, so thinking I am nearly at the stage where they stop altogether.  
    • Posted

It's been a few years ago now so I don't remember all the details but I think I had two or three very long, very heavy periods, and then they got lighter than ever and I started missing some months. Hang in there!

• Posted

thanks!   and how are you now?  Do you feel any better now that you're a couple of years along!?

• Posted

Well, first I had horrible hot flashes. I tried over-the-counter black cohosh with soy and it seemed to help a little but not enough. So I got my doctor to prescribe HRT which worked like magic but now I'm having a heavy period after a year and a half of none, which I think the hormones brought on. So now I have to go back to the doctor. It really is all so annoying, isn't it?! Thanks for asking though lol.

• Posted

yes VERY annoying.  At the very least, you had some relief with HRT.  I plan to do this aswell but don't fancy having any more periods after suffering waiting for them to go. eek no win  

• Posted

I wouldn't be so worried if I had a break but just as I thought it was stopping whoosh it was back again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.