Feeling so awful, going for scopes tomorrow

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 49 y/o female with a history of reflux, hiatal hernia, gastritis and had my gallbladder removed. Been on ppis since oct. Had my last endo 2 years ago. I've had some diarrhea and increase in hearburn attacks over the few months..sour stomach..the pains across my back and shoulder..etc.

About 3.5 weeks ago had a very bad attack of diarrhea and stomach upset and heartburn and I haven't been well since. I've lost weight, can't eat much, heartburn. I did have ct scans and some blood work which was clear. But over last 3 days the nausea has been awful, and am achey all over, it's terrible I'm barely functioning.

Thankfully I'm going for scopes tomorrow but feeling scared because I feel so poorly, having trouble sleeping and the not eating doesn't help either. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hun I can't say I know anything concerning that all but all I can say is all will be well, be strong and don't loose hope....

• Posted

Hi Jojoann

Have you gone through perimenopause yet? If not, perimenopause affect your whole body many including digestion.

You are at that age, I was just wondering.🤔

• Posted

Yes, i think the process has started. I actually have my well visit coming up with my obgyn im sure that is something we will address.
    • Posted

I was just wondering because my perimenopause started with my digestive system. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

• Posted

Wow, ok thank you. What kind of issues did yours begin with?
    • Posted

My issues begin with gastritis, gerd (hiatal hernia) . I was very bloated and no appetite because of the upset stomach. Like you, I too felt awful and lost tons of weight. All I could do was lie down because I felt so awful and weak. Muscles aches and pain all over my body when later I discovered the ppis was contributing to the muscle weakness, etc.
  • Posted

You may simply be having flare ups of the conditions you already have which can cause all of the symptoms you are experiencing.

Gallbladder removal can cause a lifetime of complications including stomach upsets and bile acid malabsorption which can be confirmed with a SECHAT scan. This condition can be treated.

Have you tried a food diary and cut out spicy, fatty and rich foods which can be bad for gastritis, hiatus henias, and when you have had your gallbladder removed?  Maybe  ask for an h pylori test which can cause gastritis. This bacteria can keep coming back and can be resistant to antibiotics.

• Posted

Thanks, i have read that too about GB but my Dr doesn't seem to be too concerned about that. I will mention that, maybe the endoscopy will uncover something. They will be testing for h pylori. I have cut out everything at this point im eating so little. It's so frustrating as soon as something starts to feel better something else kicks up, shortness of breath, body aches, it's a viscous cycle...

• Posted

It sounds like it could be perimenopause..one thing after another. I was told recently by a very wise chinese friend that the reason health issues resurface because western doctors usually treat a certain sympton of a particular system of the body. When a problem arise the body is simply saying that it is not balanced. She says it's impossible to get healing that way when everything in the body works together therefore the whole body should be treated and balanced back to health. I've been going through my problem consistently for 7 mths now concentrating on a certain issue/issues instead of the whole body. This is the advice she gave me...

This has worked for me before , I dont know how I got away from it. She started me on some foods and supplements, all symptons went away for 2 months until I fell off the wagon. My mistake! I thought I'll share this with you .

• Posted

Wow, thats an interesting perspective and something I will consider seriously, thank you for sharing that.
    • Posted

Definitely ask about gallbladder surgery complications. Doctors don't often like to admit to post op side effects.  It doesn't matter if they are unconcerned; the point is that you are concerned about it and need reassurance.  Menopausal symptoms could also be a problem.

• Posted

Just wanted to update you my colonoscopy and endoscopy tests went well. They found i have a yeast infection on my whole esophagus which they suspect has been causing a great deal of my uptick in symptoms. Already started meds. Still see hiatal hernia other wise nothing else was found. He did biopsy everything to confirm which will be back in a week.
    • Posted

At least it can be easily sorted.  Some years back I had two yeast infections months apart from each other.  One was caused by antibiotics, the second bout was triggered by stress. One tablet cured the infection, however, the cream I was given caused irritation so I had to stop using it.
    • Posted

I didn't realize stress was a trigger as well that's good to know. I do use some steroid Inhalers which can definitely play a role but I haven't been on antibiotics and I haven't been on oral steroids for a while so it's surprising that I would get such an infection. But it's really taken a toll on me and run me down. The body aches and nausea are the pits.

• Posted

Candida can be triggered for all sorts of reasons which will vary from person to person. My doctor told me that my first candida infection was likely caused by antibiotics which is a very common cause.  On the secon occasion, I was very stressed after intense anxiety for three and a half months whike waiting for my IBS diagnosis and I was worn out by it all.  Stress can change your gut flora.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.