feeling so down

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am now entering my 6th day post op tkr. I was in pain before but due to a fall at work I discovered the only option for me to return to work was a tkr. The only pain management I have been on is tylenol for the last 3 days. I had to take the surgery outside of my own country due to the huge cost. I know if I where back in my homeland they wouldn't expect me to put up with this pain. I am so worried due to my pain level I am pulling back on my exercise. Can anyone tell me if this is going to destroy my best possible out come to heal well ? I am scared and confused and so emotional. Could anyone please help she'd light on this 😢😯😷

2 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi jodie . .I was stuck on tylenol as well for the first two weeks, and I honestly can say that I didn't even start seriously exercising until I managed to get hold of tramadol on about day 16.  to have the operation away from home must have been enormously stressful, and to feel very down, emotional, etc. is very very normal even when you don't have that added problem. I know a lot of doctors go on about a 'window of opportunity' during which you can achieve a good bend and extension, but my experience was that i did it even with a very sticky start, and without accepting the extreme levels of pain which the phsyio thought I should put up with.  I am not going to say that the bend and extension will come without perseverance and a level of pain, because I have seen people who have done nothing, and ended up with a stiff knee  but I continued to improve my bend and extension right up to about nine months, when I stopped bothering anyway as I found that 125 was adequate for whatever I need to do.  Also, the level of pain is rather extreme in the first three or four weeks, and makes it very hard to do the exercises, whereas it does ease off a bit later on, and especially at the six weeks mark.  Try not to stress too much, do what you can, rest as much as possible, exercise gently without torturing yourself, drink loads of water, and above all, sleep whenever you can.  It's a marathon not a sprint, so expect it to take time.  I'm now one year post TKR, and finally forgetting about the knee.  Until around six months, it seemed to be the ruling force in everything I did or thought!  Hope you can go home soon!
    • Posted

Thanks for your positive response. I will try to keep up my exercises. I know when I return home there will be better support regarding my tkr. Again thank you, it's great to know you are not alone
  • Posted

Hi Jodie,

i too too had a TKR Not on my home country and can honestly say I was so emotional, I couldn't even begin to tell you, that part is normal for us.  I just felt that everything would have been so much easier to have been at home in my own surroundings, with family and friends around.  Also I would have been at the docs when things didn't go right.  I am at 3 months post-op.

The Physio I goy was worse than useless. I got 5-10 minutes max with him and all he did was tell me what I should do and apparently what he was telling me wasn't actually correct.

now I am back home things are getting easier.  I have an excellent Physio who has made such a difference.  She tells me that getting your leg straight is first priority.  I can tell you the exercises she makes me do and the improvement is phenomenal.   Have an hour with her.

i took Tramadol originally but now am just on Ibuprofen and paracetamyl.  If I can help in any way please let me know.

on the plus side I went off my food and lost the weight I wanted to and got to my Target weight at Slimming World. 

Good of luck and don't worry about the emotions, perfectly normal.

liz

• Posted

Thanks Liz

I can't wait to return home. I have the most supportive family waiting for me. I love am blessed with a lot of love. My hubby is with me thank god. He is my blessing.

I too can't really stomach food either which may not be a bad thing. Weight loss will do me good. It's so good to know I am not going crazy but what I am feeling is normal. I wish you all the best

• Posted

Jodie, I am 9 weeks post TKR and I still take Tramadol and some non-prescription pain releivers when needed.  At the beginning you need to take pain killers on a regular schedule to stay ahead of the  pain, or it will be really tough, especially when PT kicks into high gear.
    • Posted

My family doc is waiting my arrival home and I know he will do all in his power to help. I will be happy when I am heading back to Australia and while I have no pain relief I will push through my pain....I have no other choice. All the best to you from me
  • Posted

Hi Jodie, you poor thing!

TKR is bad enough without being away from home, no wonder your so upset.  I would try and get  my hands on stronger painkillers at the stage your at you really need them, I'm at 10 weeks and still using some form of painkiller, though fortunately not the really strong ones anymore.

Just gently do the exercises that they have given you and the extension is more important than the bend as Liz has said.  Ice, ice, ice would be my advice also as Martina says drink loads of water and sleep as much as you can.

It definitely is a marathon and not a sprint.

Best wishes

Ann

Ireland

• Posted

Hi Ann

Coming on there has been the best thing so far. I don't feel so alone any more. The advice I have gotten from everyone has been fantastic. I am keeping well hydrated and to keep a positive mind I will keep reading everyone's comments. Thank you. I will do my best at this marathon xxx

• Posted

Hi Jodie

I have to agree, for me this forum was a lifesaver.  Most on here have gone through a similar situation, some not as bad but also some a lot worse.  I hated when people were telling me what yo do, why I shouldn't be in so much pain etc. etc. and they knew nothing about what I was going through.

Because of people on here I got the courage to have the manipulation MUA which did work well for me.

keep on the website and one day you will be helping others, I promise.

I am in a lot of pain since the weekend.  I was at a Scottish Burns Supper where there was a lot of dancing.  I only joined in for two slow dances but it was obviously too much as. Was also on my feet a lot.   I am now having to take it easy.  Sometimes we forget what we should and shouldn't do.

i am Scottish but live in Cyprus.  Had my operation in England then came back to Cyprus but not till 13 weeks after the operation.  Being away from home was perhaps the hardest thing as my friends would have been popping in to cheer me up, take me out and just be there for me.

keep the chin up.

Liz

• Posted

Thanks Liz. I hope one day I can give that support when you think "what the hell have I done". I am not going to give up. Just at times it's so hard. Thanks for your support Liz. I hope your not too hard on those dancing feet. Much love from aussie land
    • Posted

Isn't it lovely though that you feel some people on here are now your friends.  We've been through the same problems and understand each other in a way that neither our friends or family can.

doubtful that any of us will ever meet up, but that doesn't matter.

good luck and you will feel better when you get back home.

liz xx

• Posted

Your not wrong Liz. It's so supportive. And yes I feel safe here in expressing how I feel and taking the feed back from everyone. I just can't thank everyone enough for their response. Xxx
  • Posted

Hi Jodie,

I can only imagine how upsetting and traumatic it must be having such a surgery away from home and everyone you know. I had my first tkr almost a year ago now. Mine hasn't been successful as my ligaments are severely damaged and preventing the bend and extension. I will have further surgery in a few months. I am still taking medication now due to the pain and nerve damage.

From my experience I would say it's virtually impossible to do the exercises properly if you're in so much pain. I certainly couldn't of managed. My exercises were to no avail anyway but the more I could move it, it did help with the pain. However, I would say that your state of mind is more important than the exercises. I had incredibly low times so all the exercising did no good at all. If they can help you with the pain, you will feel less devastation.

How far away from your home are you? Is there a chance of you getting home soon so you have something to aim for? Being in familiar surroundings made all the difference to me.

I wish I could offer more help. I can promise, although it doesn't seem so now, things will improve. The pain will lessen. Hang in there Xx

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

I am in Thailand home for me is Australia. My flight back home is seven days away. I know when I am back on home soil I will improve. There is no place like home 😊

So sorry to hear you need more surgery

Your a brave lady and I truly hope it gives you a great result. Xx

• Posted

Jodie you need stronger painkillers at the stage your at. Surely you can get them over the counter in Thailand? From what I remember there you can get anything there.  You need Tradol/Tramadol or Oxymorph as well as the Codeine based drugs. In pain management you rotate between them all (that would include Ibuproen also) and not let the pain take hold completely,  Its harder to claw back from the pain if you let the painkillers wear off. I know the drugs have different names all over the world but you can understand what I mean. You definitely need more than you are taking. Not good for when you are flying home either if you havent got strong ones.

I'm at 10 weeks post op and still take painkillers just not as strong and now don't need them that often. I

It will get better, stay strong.

Best wishes

Ann

Ireland

• Posted

Hi Ann

Today my hubby got some tramadol today and codeine based pain killers.

I am so sore and stiff. I am scared my surgery is going wrong. I am still walking around with a walking frame not a walking cane. Is this something I should be worried about ? I have moments I feel stronger than my knee and will not let it beat me than next minute I am in tears and think god what have I done. I had a bad fall at work so for three months I had to wear a brace and couldn't stand on my feet for more than 20 mins without sitting down. I have lost so much muscle tone over that period before my surgery. Am I ever going to get better. My leg lifts are almost impossible to do. Sliding my leg on a towel to help to get bend is so painful and tight. I have never felt so down. As you my tell I am having one of those moments. I thought I was always strong in beating all that life throws at me but not right now 😯 so sorry about my whinge

• Posted

Jodie, hang in there.  THere is no quick recovery from this major major traume to your knee.  The knee is the most complicated joint in the body (that's from a surgeon).  It is going to take months for full recovery.  I used a walker with wheels for at least two weeks or more, then switched to a cane.  It was tough and it hurt.  You are only at the beginning but it WILL get better week by week (forget day by day, the improvements are too incremental to notice much).  I was whining to my wife the other day and she reminded me how little time had passed since my six week checkup.  IT WILL GET BETTER!
    • Posted

Use the towel to left your leg, I couldn't lift mine off the bed or upwards from a chair for 3 weeks the 1st time I had a TKR, until I used a towel to left it! Also, lay on your tum, you won't be able to left your leg up, & if you can it won't be very high - but get your husband to gently lift & slightly push it into a bend that way. Take those meds about half an hour before you attempt any home physio. Your quads will be very weak so don't beat yourself up! - Veronica
    • Posted

Thanks. I think I am the most impatient person I know. So maybe the walking frame thing is me expecting too much too soon. Thanks for keeping it real for me xx
    • Posted

What great advice veronica. I will give that a ago. I can't thank you all enough for the support everyone has shown me. The world is still full of people that care
    • Posted

At your stage I was still in hospital and unable to put my foot to the ground. We are all different and heal at different speeds. When i went home at 11 days I could still only just about walk.. Spent about week with the frame and then with two crutches. Lifting the leg seemed impossible at first art first... It feltl like a block of cement. I think with me it was partly psychological and after my husband lifted it for me acouple of times it suddnly happened. I found it better to sit in a chair and slowly push th foot back forcing the bend until I reached 'ouch' point but not SCREAm point which the physio wanted. It worked for me. Maybe I took a little longer than some . The feeling thAt you are defeated by this horrible op is very very normal... They never warn you do they!!! I also thought I was Tough old bird until this operation but the first five weeks or so left me feeling battered and defeated. Then I found the forum and it helped so much to know that everything I was experiencing was quite normal for a lot of us. You will alwYs hear of those who get up on day two and waltz out of the hospital. The lady who my surgeon operated on After me was over 80 and one of those, which was repeated to me ad nauseum in the hospotal. These people are rare! You shouldnt worry at this stage... It will get better bit it will take time unfortunately.

• Posted

Oh thanks for your story Martin. No they don't prepare you mentally for this surgery. The company who organized my surgery told me I should be walking out of the hospital unaided. So you can imagine why I was thinking omg something has gone wrong. I love coming on here and finding someone's story. I gives me hope and courage. I am worried about my flight home. In saying that though I can't wait to get back too my family. I will keep all you amazing people know when it starts working for me. Even as I write that I still doubt it...oh this surgery does mess with your emotions
    • Posted

Opps sorry miss spelling Martina
    • Posted

I pray every day. Just so glad to hear this could be normal thanks for your kind words 😆

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.