feeling so down

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am now entering my 6th day post op tkr. I was in pain before but due to a fall at work I discovered the only option for me to return to work was a tkr. The only pain management I have been on is tylenol for the last 3 days. I had to take the surgery outside of my own country due to the huge cost. I know if I where back in my homeland they wouldn't expect me to put up with this pain. I am so worried due to my pain level I am pulling back on my exercise. Can anyone tell me if this is going to destroy my best possible out come to heal well ? I am scared and confused and so emotional. Could anyone please help she'd light on this 😢😯😷

2 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thats great that you got the stronger painkillers. A sleeping tablet wouldnt go astray either at your stage.

Its a long road Jodie and you have to be patient. I thought when I had my TKR (10 weeks ago) I would be running around by about 6 weeks.  Fool me!!!!!! It wasnt until I found this forum that I realised what a long haul it would be.  Everyone on the forum is most helpful and will try to give you advise which they have found good for them, this might not be good for you, but could be for someone else that is readying it.

Stiffness, soreness, insomnia, aches and pains everywhere else in your leg are all par for the courseas you learn to walk again with your new knee. Depression, weepiness and feeling miserable and as if it will never end - we all still have days like this now and again.   I have a thing that I call 'log leg' feels as if I borrowed it for the day! Anyone else have that one?

Stay strong and remember that if you are feeling really miserable you can come on here and vent!!!!

Best wishes

Ann

• Posted

"log leg" - love it!  I have days where it feels heavy and full, so I guess that's a log leg day!
    • Posted

Ann you just sounded like my aunt. She has said the same thing to me. She had her both operated on at the same time (my hat goes off too her) she said her right knee some days feels like she just borrowed it from some one.

With the stronger pain relief I did get more than 3 hours sleep. And hopefully today some gentle exercising in. I won't push it like the pyshio did the other day. She actually busted one of my stitches when she put my knee over a block of wood and push my foot to the bench. Ouch. Been visiting you tube ann. Thanks again xxx

• Posted

Ann how many milligrams of tremadol should I take? They are 50mg tablets or if anyone else can help me with this?
    • Posted

Tramadol 1/ 50 mg 2-3 times a day for that one.

Codeine ( I take Tylex) 2/ 30mg tabs up to 4 times a day

• Posted

Thanks for getting back too me ann was unsure how much to take. Last night was the first decent nights sleep since tkr. I actually stood on both legs today without aids..I didn't walk but to bend the knee is still so painful
    • Posted

Dont move for at least a half an hour after taking them.  Ice and drink water while your waiting for them to kick in.  Then start your stretching and a little bit of bending a little bit of walking.  I had a machine, I forget what it was called,  when I was in that slowly bent your knee for you for about an hour. Used it twice a day, and slowly they increased the bend day by day. So had about a 90 degree bend leaving hospital.
    • Posted

I am at 9 weeks and I was released from therapy at six weeks.  I still take two or three Tramadol a day, usually around excercise and bedtime
    • Posted

Been thinking about you.

How you doing today Jodie?

Any improvemet since you started using the painkillers?

• Posted

Lol telpca! You'd have to laugh or else............. :-)

Another thing Jodie. If you utube post TKR exercises (got that tip on here) you can actually see what gentle exercises we are talking about.

• Posted

Another point... How long is your flight?? And are you having blood thinning injections? It would probably be a good idea to avoid any danger of blood clots....
    • Posted

Hi Martin my first flight is 9 hrs the second 2 hrs then I am home sweet home. They stopped the injections when I left hospital but I think they are going to me when when I return for my final check up before leaving thailand. Is there anything I can take in its place?
  • Posted

Hi Jodie

75mg tablet of aspirin is good to take and also wear the socks as well for the flight". That's a pretty long flight.  I would also get up and move as often as you can.

liz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.