feeling so down

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am now entering my 6th day post op tkr. I was in pain before but due to a fall at work I discovered the only option for me to return to work was a tkr. The only pain management I have been on is tylenol for the last 3 days. I had to take the surgery outside of my own country due to the huge cost. I know if I where back in my homeland they wouldn't expect me to put up with this pain. I am so worried due to my pain level I am pulling back on my exercise. Can anyone tell me if this is going to destroy my best possible out come to heal well ? I am scared and confused and so emotional. Could anyone please help she'd light on this 😢😯😷

2 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Your lucky me and 'log leg' are early riser Jodie its only 5.30am here in Ireland!

You can take Ibuprofen 600mg twice a day also.

I came out of hospital with a prescription for all the ones I mentioned in last post plus a sleeping tablet.

Sleep is a great healer and you will start to feel a bit better when you get some decent sleep.  3 hours is not too bad at your stage because when you move you wake. But sleep as much as you can.

Gently gently with the exercises I learnt that to my peril. I thought the more I did the quicker I would get better.  Afraid it doesnt work like that.

• Posted

First night with more sleep ann. I feel so much stronger than my knee today and a lot more positive about it all. I ain't going to beat me down. Plus I am a "underground miner" I should be made of the tough stuff lol
  • Posted

Brilliant!  Great to hear your fighting spirit is returning for you.

Its a war Jodie!!!!

• Posted

Not wrong ann about being a war. I am a lover and not a fighter but I want to beat this. I have too as my lively hood depends on it. I know the mine I work at with make it very hard for me to return to work if knee isn't up to standard.

it's helping with a bit more pain relief exercising the knee but that bend is still at 80 if lucky and the extension isn't straight either. Will this improve if I keep working hard?????

• Posted

Hi Jodie

In my opinion and I've been there, dont work too hard.  Everything the PT told me to do I would double and triple I was in bits! Thought the more I did the quicker I would get better. Brain dead me!!!! The boys and girls on here told me to ease up and go gently.  I had never taken a day off from physio since the op.  I took a whole day off and started off again the next day but cut back immensely on what I was doing.  Within a few days I started to feel better and the pain was not as bad.  Three weeks on from that the bend is good and the extension also, not quite there yet, but getting there.

You'll get there Jodie, but like me you have to learn to be patient

Ann

• Posted

Thanks my angel ann

I worked my on exercises yesterday about x3 times. My partner told me to slow down but me being I didn't. This morning went for breakfast in the hotel and my god the pain put me through the roof. I will ease up a bit on the exercise today.

Thanks lovely ann xxx

• Posted

Hi Jodie

Ann is so right.  I am now almost 15 weeks out-op and still in pain a lot of the time as I constantly try to do too much.  Went shopping on Friday zinc of course walked round a Mall with my friend, it was too much and I am suffering.

i keep getting told it can take up to a year and I don't want to believe that but perhaps in my case it will.

i do my exercises religiously and my bend is very good but I still can't get the leg totally straight.  Still working on that.  My leg is a bit swollen and it is definitely Log Leg just now, love that expression.  It's been like that since last weekend as I enjoyed myself with a ceilidh band and though I only danced a couple of times, think I was on my feet far too long.

we have to learn to take it easy whenever possible.  I do have a super Physio as she worked with the British Olympic team so knows what she is talking about.  She totally concentrates on the straightening as she says that's the harder one to get.  Since starting with her the end has improved massively but the straightening is not there yet.

I get a pain at the back of my leg.

you seem to be doing an awful lot better than when you first came on the forum 👍. When do you fly back to Aus?

Love Liz x

• Posted

Hi Liz

So a night of partying doesn't work either..well that's my plans out for night club in Bangkok. Just kidding.

I guess I am just in shock when you are only 43 being active your whole life and all of a sudden you hit a huge brick wall it's scary. I am also afraid that due to the lack of pain killers exercise at the start my new knee will just freeze on me. I feel like the Tin Man off Wizard of Oz.

But I so kindly take to all the advice given to me. I am not sure of ever bodies age but you are all like my mummies when my mum can't be near.

I hope the few dances and the busy day settle down on your knee soon Liz and it doesn't punish you for much longer. I fly home on Thursday can't wait to see my family xxxx

• Posted

I'm like Ann and could be your mum too, my eldest is just a year younger than you.  We are all here for each other, age has nothing to do with it thankfully as I know if it was the other way round you  would be giving us the advice.

I was obviously a child bride too.  You are young to have these problems, though my friend had her first hip replacement at 39. She still has the same hip which works perfectly and she is now age 56

i fell when I was in my late twenties and that is what caused my problems in later life.  

take care on the flight and get up and walk about as much as you can.  Just mean walking up and down the aisle.  It will be so much better when you get home, I promise.

not long to go now.

love Liz x

• Posted

Hi Jodie your behaving just like I did, but your pulling back quicker than I did. No pain no gain was my motto, it should hurt,  but it shouldnt hurt REALLY bad. I was exercising like a woman possessed!  Softly softly gently gently and you will definitely get there quicker in the end.

When you going home? You definitely need the anticoagulant injection before you travel. Have you organised that yet? Its very important.  Try and get one of wider seats if you can.

You are doing great even if it doesnt feel like that at the moment.

Dont be worrying about your job, at the moment you have bigger fish to fry trying to get that bend (and extension).

Ann  X

• Posted

Hi Ann

Went to answer you so many times yesterday. I think if I don't listen to all the fantastic advice on here I would be a fool. I wish I could just up and run. Don't we all.

I got to the hospital on Tuesday and I am pretty sure I get the injection than. Home on Thursday. I can't wait to see my daughter,sister niece etc.

Your right about my job if I start thinking of that too I will definitely get depressed again.

I need to take it one day at a time one week at a time.

Like Liz said young to be having this problem but I do and now have it fixed but now just need to work at it so my knee becomes a part of me. That by the wonderful advice is just going to take time.

I have been using a walking frame but today used a walking stick. So I was pretty proud of myself.

I will keep in the back of my mind about getting up and walking on our flight home. It's a late flight so most people will be sleeping.

I really feel connected to everyone on this forum and I hope one day I am giving someone hope advice and inspiration .

Love you all jodie

• Posted

I just truly can't thank everyone for the advice, the kindness and genuine care. I keep reading all my replies when I start getting down than I don't feel alone or crazy again THANKS to my fellow Trks . I just you are all AMAZING 💚💜
  • Posted

Ah sure Jodie I could be your mum I have a son the same age as you (obvs a child bride smile.  We will be your foster mums for as long as you need me. And remember that mums always know best :-P
  • Posted

So a little improvement if your getting around on a cane.  At your stage its definitely hard t guage improvement and you feel like nothing is happening but usually its that small you miss it..I've only noticed an improvement in the last 10 days  or so and started to cut back on the 'big boy' pain killers. Still take them but not as religeously, as I did live from painkiller to painkiller for weeks.

Life still revolves around the knee of course for me, but hopefully soon that will pass to.

Keep us posted

Ann X

• Posted

Ann

My hubby was jumping up and down with joy. I have to learn to walk on it for my flight home. I hold his hand when leg feels dead weight just for stability.

I am here to If you have any victories to share. Your getting off your big boys drugs I am just looking to get some 😆

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.