feeling so down

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am now entering my 6th day post op tkr. I was in pain before but due to a fall at work I discovered the only option for me to return to work was a tkr. The only pain management I have been on is tylenol for the last 3 days. I had to take the surgery outside of my own country due to the huge cost. I know if I where back in my homeland they wouldn't expect me to put up with this pain. I am so worried due to my pain level I am pulling back on my exercise. Can anyone tell me if this is going to destroy my best possible out come to heal well ? I am scared and confused and so emotional. Could anyone please help she'd light on this 😢😯😷

2 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jodie

Been offline in A & E with my 91year old mother for 12 hours.  She has pneumonia. They kept her in and she is doing okay. I had to stand for most of the time that I was there, had no pain killers with me,  so had a knee like a melon when I got home sad

Your husband must be delighted with you.  Nearly there for going home too, bet you cant wait.  Have you looked into getting that anti coagulant injection before you fly?  You will so need it for a 9 hour flight.

Your doing great girl!

Ann X

• Posted

Oh Ann

I feel your pain.  I am now 15 weeks post-op but standing can be a killer.

so glad your mum is ok, it's always a worry.

I have finally stopped using a stick and walking is an awful lot better.  Was at a reflexologist today and she said my spine is a lot better.  Realised that the way I was walking was not doing me any favours in my back and hips.  Someone said I am standing straighter.

Yesterday my knee was a bit red and hot.  Went on Internet and found a website which gives you answers to standard problems.  It's a doctor who has written it and apparently this is perfectly normal for up to 1 year and nothing to worry about.  It wasn't sore, just hot.

i do wonder how we would have managed without the internet.  I love this forum as everyone us so helpful.  Think it's because we have all had similar problems.  I wouldn't have gone looking for this if all had been well with me.

i really only now take Ibuprofen and paracetamol and find that enough.

good luck ladies and especially you Jodie on your journey home on Thursday.  

Liz

• Posted

Hi Ann

I hope your mum is doing better. It's scary when they are that age and become unwell. 91 years, love people that age they really have lived life and seen so much more than I ever will.

Got a doctors certificate to fly back home tomorrow night. I can't wait to be home with my family and surroundings. The airline has taken care of seating arrangements so no seats in front for leg room. No injection thou.

Ann I still can't get the knee to bend it's so painful when I do try. Should I be worried about this as I see my family doc on Saturday and start with a physical therapist next week. No pain meds as the hospital gave me tremadol I just can't keep them down.

Hope all is good

Jodie

• Posted

Thanks Liz

I am so looking forward to being in my own surroundings and family. I think this will help me mentally with my healing.

The doctor was shocked yesterday on my review I wasn't walking on my own but with a stick. And that's hard enough.

Am I behind in recovery?? The bent is so painful. But I won't give up.

Take care Liz and don't over do it but it's hard not to when you are loving life xxx

• Posted

Hi Liz

Thanks for that.  Suffering today for all that standing so have taken to the hard stuff again today. Will be heading up to hospital this afternoon but at least she is admitted now and there will at least be a chair!

My knee gets very hot too but I am addicted to my ice bucket and pack so slap it on at all times of the day and night.

I'm so disappointed at how sore it is today though

• Posted

Ann, that is normal, honest.  Yesterday I went to get new cushion covers and as the shop is at the seafront thought a nice wee walk along the harbour.  Was only in the shop about 30 minutes max and when I came out I said to my husband Can we just go home.  The back of my leg was throbbing.  Some folk seem to walk miles in a short space of time, others are not so lucky.  We are perhaps the unlucky ones but at least we know we are not alone.  My bag of peas gets used a lot.  Hope I never forget and open them to use, Yeuch.

rest today as much as possible.  This doc's page I found said that we can do too much and exercise 3-4 times a week is more than adequate and we should have one day where we totally rest, no exercise and no walking.  Perhaps we're just impatient.  Feet up on your mum's bed, shoes off first mind you.

Liz

• Posted

Hi Jodie

i thought the op would be fairly easy.  I knew it was a major op but didn't for one moment think it would be as it has been.  As someone said its a marathon not a sprint, too blooming true.

I got really emotional for at least the first six weeks and could burst into tears at the drop of a hat.  It was awful as I'm not normally like that. 

I dont know know the time difference in Thailand, but it can't be too long now.  My flight home was 4.5 hours and I found it ok but the plane was quiet and I got three seats to myself.  I did get up and stretch it a bit by just a walk up and down the aisle.  It was uncomfortable and I was glad to get off so I'm sure it's not going to be a pleasant experience for you, but just think of home.  It definitely is so much easier in your own place.

good luck.

liz 😘✈️🇦🇺☀️👍😀😘

• Posted

I get what you mean Liz about being emotional. Holy Dooley the emotions hard to keep in check. Normally for me too abit of a fighter so this is new.

I have a 9 hour flight, a two hour stop over than a second 2 hour flight. I don't think it's going to be pleasant but I have home in my slights. That is what I can't wait for Liz.

Chat again soon xxx

• Posted

Try and get a sleeping tablet for the flight - a strong one!!!

Take Tylex/Codeine too. I stopped taking Tramadol as they make me sick. 

Wish I could steal one of my mothers for you, they are the business. You probably have seen me saying this already, I liberated one of hers and had the best sleep since the 26th November!!! You have to be able to get them in Thailand they sell everything over the counter there! My mothers sleeping tablets are called Zimovane. Send your husband out scouting for them.

Myself and my daughter suffer from hayfever and when she came back from Thailand a few years back she left some antihistimine (as I thought) on the table so I helped myself to one.  Heigth of the hayfever season at the time, but it didnt work.  Took another one that didnt work either and another one that night. I did appear to be sleeping an awful lot though, in fact I was NEVER awake, thought I had developed some kind of virus. Turns out I was popping sleeping tablets like smarties!!!  !LOL Took two days for the grogginess to lift.  Wish I had a couple of them now!

redface

• Posted

Hi Ann

The laws over in Thailand have changed a lot. I don't think it's what it used to be like. Hubby got some sleeping tablets. Not overly strong but they will do.

I am glad you finally got a great nights sleep 😴😴😴 it certainly helps I am so tried of waking up on the hour.

We have had a blocked nose since being here but the smog is terrible. The car exhaust fumes are so bad. Well I have home in my sights that's all I can think about. Maybe if you are struggling for sleep ann just get hay fever tablets again. Xxx

• Posted

Hi my fellow TKR

I am finally home and loving it.

We arrived home Friday afternoon. Went to my doctor Saturday morning and ended up in hospital all day Saturday. I was running a temperature. The hospital ran tests for infection and DVT. Every thing ok.

Thanks to the airline jamming me between two seats (no one was meant to be in front of me) it was the most painful and uncomfortable 10 hrs of my life. My leg blew up like a balloon.

We are now on home soil and being looked after with decent pain medication and booked the PT on Thursday.

I hope every one else is doing great and more than likely end up with a few more pep talks on here 😄

• Posted

S glad you are home safely, and no serious side effects from the long journey!  that must have been horrific . . . we've been away on holiday, back on Saturday to a house in total turmoil . .everything stolen, every room ransacked, safe ripped from wall . . . never a dull moment!  

• Posted

Oh how awful Martina.  I can't remember where you live but think Canary Isles perhaps.  We live in Cyprus and it was the safest place on earth to live, but not now since we joined the EU.  

We were burgled once when we lived in Scotland and it is a horrible feeling.

Good luck.

Liz

• Posted

Oh martina

That's terrible. How devastating. I hope you are insured against burglary. Years ago someone broke into my home I felt so violated and angry. I hope they catch the people or person who did this to you.

My thoughts are with you. Hold strong xxx

• Posted

Oh no - just after a holiday too. My home in Lincoln was burgled years ago - you get over it, but it is such a shock. Thinking of you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.