feeling so down

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am now entering my 6th day post op tkr. I was in pain before but due to a fall at work I discovered the only option for me to return to work was a tkr. The only pain management I have been on is tylenol for the last 3 days. I had to take the surgery outside of my own country due to the huge cost. I know if I where back in my homeland they wouldn't expect me to put up with this pain. I am so worried due to my pain level I am pulling back on my exercise. Can anyone tell me if this is going to destroy my best possible out come to heal well ? I am scared and confused and so emotional. Could anyone please help she'd light on this 😢😯😷

2 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good luck with your flights and just focus on home.  It won't be easy but the end result will be worth it xxx

i am on Log Leg this evening, but I've had a great night, good friends, good food and good company, worth a wee bit of pain so I will grin and bear it,

love Liz xx

• Posted

Hi Jodie

I dont know what time it is there but its 8.06am Thursday here

Nearly sure you are on your way home today.

If so, good luck and let us know how you got on, on the flight.

Will be thinking of you today.

God Bless

Ann  XXX

• Posted

I Was thinking the same.  Hope it has all gone ok and appreciate it might take you a day or two to feel like doing anything.

keep in touch.

Liz xx

• Posted

Hi Jodie

just wondering how you are.  Think you should be home now.  Hope it all went ok.

liz xx

• Posted

Hi Jodie

I have been thinking about you a lot and hoping that all went ok.  Think a few of us were worrying about you.  

My my surgeon would. It let me do my 4.5 hour flight for at least six weeks.  I didn't like to tell you that beforehand as all surgeons are different.

im not surprised about the discomfort.  I didn't feel great on my flight and I got the row (3 seats) to myself which was great but as you say it is so good to be home and I am so glad you are ok now.

i went back to my Aqua aerobics class yesterday for the first time.  Now this might sound really easy, but it is not.  In the summer it is outside I. The outdoor pool and S it is in a hotel we get the holidaymakers and the young guys think let's go do this, it's so easy.  Most of them have to give up.  I didn't work as hard as normal and I could feel it quite a bit in my thigh but I was ok and really only felt a bit stiff afterwards.  Going to go back to my Aqua Bootcamp in a few weeks, so really chuffed with myself.

hope you get a good PT as I think that makes all the difference and so glad to hear from you.

liz xx

• Posted

Aw Jodie!

Great to hear from you. I was so worried that you had ended up in hospital in a bad way when you arrived home.

Knew that flight would be a nightmare the state you were in!

Things can only get better now Jodie

So glad

Ann XXX

• Posted

Hi Jodie,

STOP WORRYING!

You really are in the early stages.

I had my left knee replaced at the beginning of November (10 weeks ago) and my right one beginning of January (6 weeks ago). I was walking without sticks after a week on the 1st one and put on a show of walking normally after two weeks but still had problems making it down stairs properly. Each day I could feel some improvement in some form. I couldn't wait to get the other one done but was pre warned that not all ops are the same. I am 6 weeks tomorrow on my right knee and a week ago thought I was lagging behind But the following day I found a marked improvement and felt like I had turned a corner, seemingly from no where. Yes, It's taken longer but on reading the forum I'm on track.

You've only just started and I promise you that each week, even day, that goes by you will feel much better.

On the 1st one I was on :-

2 x 30mg of codeine and 2 x 500mg of paracetamol both at 4 times a day. I set my phone alarm to sound at 7am - 12pm lunch - 6pm tea time - 12am midnight. I feel the pain going away with this combination within 20 to 30 minutes. So much so that I've reduced it to one of each now. In fact the docs changed the prescription to 1 x solpadol which is exactly the same but only one tablet.

I found this better than tramadol which I have used before on slipped discs which never seemed to help. The codeine/paracetamol is a lesser drug but seems far more efficient. No side effects like nausea etc. I obviously take a naproxen as an anti inflammatory. On the second knee they put me on ibuprofen and paracetamol for some reason which did give me nausea so changed.

A tip for stairs, Say to yourself "Good one up to heaven - bad one down to hell". You obviously have found out already that if you put the good leg down first you'll go through the roof, and vice versa. After a walk or exercises put a bag of frozen peas on the top of your knee for 10 to 15 minutes, Cover with a towel then under your knee, again for the same time. This should cool the muscle down and reduce swelling.

Your physio will push you beyond your comfort zone so don't forget to squeal before he really hurts you. That's what I didn't do. I was trying to be a rufty tufty and not squeal and he pushed it beyond what was comfortable, in fact painful. It set me back 3 days. What I did was not get out of bed the following day to let it settle and mend. It worked and I must admit I improved the following day so his push, with the rest worked.

I know this was an epic but chin up. It's the best thing I've had done and even though there is pain/ache its far less than what I had before. Oh, The best exercise I found was the simple one of standing at the bottom of the stair and placing your foot on the 1st step then bend til the stretch becomes uncomfortable, hold for 5 seconds then repeat for a total of 10 times. Do this every time you think about it. Also whilst walking, walk slowly concentrating on placing your heel down first and roll through to the ball of the foot. You'll feel the benefit straight away.

• Posted

Just thought I would tell you that I went back to my Aqua aerobics class on Monday and it has improved my knee so much.  Worth getting in water and exercising.

it took me to three months post-op to stop using my stick and now at almost Four months I am walking a lot better in fact my friend commented yesterday that she forgot there was any problem.  I also seem to be walking straighter than I have for years.

feeling so much more positive.

how are you now Jodie, now you are at home and when do you go back to work?  Take it easy if you can please.

Liz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.