Feeling suicidal, is there any point to life?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Whats the point in living? When you know youre going to be like you are for ever, when medication does not help, only makes you even duller and dumber so you cant actually question your existence because your brain is frozen, when you see every day as the same as the last, when you predict what will happen tomorrow, when you think of your future, imagine yourself getting a degree,  married, getting old, buying house, dying... youve lived it all in your head, why do you have to live it out in the real world? Ive lived life, Ive married my favourite woman in my mind, had children, done everything, I know how everything will pan out, if not exactly then at least generally... so whats the point in going on? If you can tell me, without waffle, without questions, just one sentence or two, and only if you know the answer to this unsolveable dilemma.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi no one knows the answer to that so I guess you aren't expecting any replies
    • Posted

Are you serious? Am not expecting replies? If so why would i post? Why would we live without a purpose, if there is none as you say why live... why are you living?
    • Posted

Surely if you believe in survival of the fittest, suicide is a good thing.
    • Posted

You said you only wanted replies to solve an unsolvable question!   If it is unsolvable then no one knows the answer incuding me.   Now if you are asking is there a purpose to life then that is very different.
    • Posted

Please elaborate. I will read every word you write. I am interested in knowing other people's philosophy and outlook on life, might help me a lot. So you're purpose is...?
    • Posted

Rubbish.  I took an overdose once, and am glad I survived. 
  • Posted

You have missed two important elements out from your question?

What is the point of the word 'hope' if there is no such thing, and also what is the point of the word 'joy' if there is no such thing?

These are the two most important words in the dictionary, which I dare say were there in some other form when the first humans were swinging from the trees and then living in caves. 

Granted these words and their definitions seem to be missing from the vocabulary of people who suffer with depression and/or anxiety issues.

So a good starting point would be to try and find them in our lives, for they really do exist.

• Posted

youre right there with the joy thing.... there are times i genuinely feel happy and joyful... these are the moments to treasure, right? the moments that make life worth it all, the pain and all.
    • Posted

There is something I was thinking about over my coffee. Your question really rang with me, I can't stop thinking.

These moments of joy must be the fuel to keep us going in the dark times.

I always despair seeing cruelty, injustice and evil of this world pouring out of the tv or radio. I feel sometimes like there is no hope for us as a species. But someone said something to me once: when there is tragedy always look for those who help. For the selfless, good people

who rush to help.

I apply it (or try) in my life too. The bad things must be squashed by the good things - the love I experience. The beauty (it really is there!) around me.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Yes, I believe that 'Joy' is a great fuel to get us through difficulties, but when things start to go wrong the word 'Hope' has to kick in, otherwise we would have nothing to look forward to.

I really do 'hope' that this assists you.

• Posted

Ha ha... it is the teenage question.Leaving school, having 7 or 9 years of "formative" education or indoctrination" behind you. You are a person now. You will see your own way, just you see  smile
    • Posted

You mean the answer is in intellect? As in, independent thought focused on a category of academia? This is plausible. Yes, I would agree with this. When I focus on my work, on my books, I am an entity of thought and that's all I want to be, I suppose.
  • Posted

Because life is never a done deal. It has a habbit of throwing curve balls, but also showing you the magic of it.

You think you know but you don't. None of us do. You think its all bad or pointless - there is always HOPE for change.

• Posted

One can hold hope their whole life and get nowhere. One can die hoping. Life is a done deal. Since we gain consciousness, our life is dealt, the certainty of death looms over us ever present. Curve balls, as in unexpected situations? I get what you mean. But that is part and parcel of life... I never said life was a smooth ride... of course you get dealt blows here and there, losing a close friend, getting injured badly, getting bankrupt, struggling to pay bills, your house falling in value... (or more minor setbacks) etc. And of course there are good surprises. But is it possible to harbour such a mindset garnered from having depression, that you know you'll be the same person throughout? Depression is a way of life, like someone else said, they've had it for 30 years. It's an illness like no other, like a cut that never heals. Is it a mindset? Are we born with it? I get so bored of talking with people, the same old anticipated expressions, tone of voice, even what they will say... so obvious. Thats why I hardly speak any more. What if I don't want change? I don't want to change myself, it's that that makes me feel more depressed, more sad, more lonely. I want to change this bloody facade of outward appearance, of hypocrisy, of manipulation. I want the human race to accept itself as it is. A flawed jumble of mess. But everyone wants to appear so perfect outside, as if they are perfect. Yet they are the ones who are hating themselves inside... yes, even me, I would admit. But how to change this? Is it dare I say impossible? Is it the influence of commerce? Or general lack of self esteem which is common to all people, who do not fit the mould this world forces you into. I wish I knew... and what the solution is. And I wish I had people, in real life, to talk to about this. But I dont and I might never have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.